KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

4,541 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

These guys were in the 2 lb range so plenty of fight for my med lite bass rods.

Next time I am gonna see if they are white crappie as if not they are huge blacks

Thats a good sized crappie.  Ever keep any?  the meat is supposed to be good eats.

Edited by richie c

2 mins ago, richie c said:

Thats a good sized crappie.  Ever keep any?  the meat is supposed to be good eats.

Crappie are excellent eating. 

18 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Crappie are excellent eating. 

Do you find they taste different in the summer months? I've only kept them while ice fishing and they were good but have been told they taste like pond water during the warmer months.

7 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Do you find they taste different in the summer months? I've only kept them while ice fishing and they were good but have been told they taste like pond water during the warmer months.

Not sure.  We really only catch  them in the spring.  Like late April and early May.  I'm not sure why water temp would effect their flavor.   

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

The ones I caught last month(?) were good.  I've never eaten them in the winter.  Suppose it depends on the water they're caught out of.  I won't eat anything out of overly murky water.

Been way too long since I targeted Large Mouth.  Lotta salt water and some weeks spent chasing the snakeheads.   Even with the 104 heat index, was nice to launch this evening and find a half dozen bass in the mid-teens.   Most fell to Swim Senko but the big un slammed a Pop Frog for a nice blow up and tussle just after sunset.   Should have remembered the headlamp and scale.  

At least for the bridge limbo, not having a headlamp saved me from "seeing" the spiders on the return trip!  Afew more inches of water height and this launch is a no go.  

20220802_204150.jpg

20220802_191840.jpg

20220802_182831.jpg

20220802_182653.jpg

21 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Been way too long since I targeted Large Mouth.  Lotta salt water and some weeks spent chasing the snakeheads.   Even with the 104 heat index, was nice to launch this evening and find a half dozen bass in the mid-teens.   Most fell to Swim Senko but the big un slammed a Pop Frog for a nice blow up and tussle just after sunset.   Should have remembered the headlamp and scale.  

At least for the bridge limbo, not having a headlamp saved me from "seeing" the spiders on the return trip!  Afew more inches of water height and this launch is a no go.  

20220802_204150.jpg

20220802_191840.jpg

20220802_182831.jpg

20220802_182653.jpg

The picture of the scenery is beautiful and nice catches. 

11 hours ago, MAGA said:

Threw around a vega frog and SK buzz king for an hour or so today. 

20220730_152638.jpg

Buzz bait bite is so much fun

11 hours ago, MAGA said:

Nice catch on the Buzz bait.  With the oppressive heat, only strikes I'm finding on top water are with a slow and gentle pop with the pop frogZ.  The very calm (flat) water doesn't help

20 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Nice catch on the Buzz bait.  With the oppressive heat, only strikes I'm finding on top water are with a slow and gentle pop with the pop frogZ.  The very calm (flat) water doesn't help

Thanks, nothing to write home about but August is tough. I usually don't fish as much with the heat. I dont own a boat so I am stuck fishing shallow for the most part. Was throwing the hollow body frog around a dock but couldn't get a strike.

13 hours ago, MAGA said:

20220730_152638.jpg

When you're not throwing swimbaits, are you a fan of 6 Sense baits? Noticed you plugged the Vega frog. I've had amazing results on their soft plastics, not so much with their hard baits