Freshwater Fishing Reports

KnewBee

47 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Last 4-5 days have been awesome, which i think gave a slight uptck in water temps, but a front coming in tonight put the feed bag on. Long range forecast has temps back down in the low 50’s and night time temps in the 30’s so it’ll be struggle in the coming weeks. I’ll keep trying for a bit, and then hang up the freshwater gear and wait for ice!

I fished Monday - 70 degrees, blue bird skies and no wind - not great conditions but caught plenty of pickerel, yellow perch and landed a few bass on swimbaits. 

Fished today - totally over cast, storm front moving in, rainy slight breeze and all I managed was 2 week attempts on my swimbaits. 

Probably should have fished jigs.........

Avoided the skunk on my last yak trip of the year with this little guy. 74 degrees when I launched . Not bad for mid November. All in all this was a good season, strange but good. Fished less in the salt then I have in many years but probably 3x more FW. Caught a lot of small bass and a handful of  better fish on a variety of baits. Frogs, T- Rigged Rage Craws and Jigs continue to be my best producers but about mid summer I picked up a nice spin combo ( Expride, CI4 ) to incorporate some finesse techniques that have been sorely lacking in the arsenal. Dropshot, Shaky head and even the dreaded Ned have saved more than 1 outing and  I find myself going to them more often , or following another bait with one of them. I lost my favorite spot to Covid restrictions, hopefully not forever but fished a lot of new water with some good results. Picked up a new bc to throw some lighter stuff next season. Last pics some standouts from earlier this season.

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_1994 (2).JPG

IMG_0905 (3).JPG

IMG_1926 (1).JPG

IMG_2097 (1).JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Edited by fishnbear

Hit the water about 8:30 am, and it was chilly. Jig bite was on the menu, but had to just crawl it. Each cast and retrieve was over 5 mins long. Only a couple of bites, but one decent fish. Gonna keep at it. Next week looks like temps are really taking a nose dive, especially at night. Definately gonna have to work hard for a bite.F719800D-1A6D-47AD-B3B0-011B8141835D.jpeg.197e572b9c1f586af1614a43c4dacd0f.jpeg 

4BFB0BB7-C269-4E8D-A807-CDAFB39679C8.jpeg

9AABD26A-3279-4E5B-BE21-A1D28299C191.jpeg

Edited by Mack26

3 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Went back for “seconds” this afternoon till dusk... man that wind was cold! But, they were still biting...06EBC8C9-3AC2-4748-8F42-7C69389C1952.jpeg.c1b1068fc0ebd7c86a05c605b6b50235.jpegC92E1227-4DAA-4ABC-8BB5-66F80E8BCCB4.jpeg.3ea34ffd56dd926429a3b3e37e632b1e.jpeg

I gotta give it to you for being patient enough to slow crawl a jig for 5 minutes on a retrieve - unfortunately finesse fishing isn’t my thing. I know it’s super effective.

Kudos. 

22 mins ago, NewAtIt said:

I gotta give it to you for being patient enough to slow crawl a jig for 5 minutes on a retrieve - unfortunately finesse fishing isn’t my thing. I know it’s super effective.

Kudos. 

This time of year when the water temps really start to cool quick, especially on smaller bodies of water like this one, it’s a must to condition yourself to that that type of retrieve.

It’s very similiar to working a football jig, and i’ve found that i really force myself to picture exactly what the jig is doing. I actually don’t even look at the water. I kind of look to the side and “feel” the jig through the retrieve if that makes sense. A super sensitive rod is a must, as some of these hits are barely detectable, more like a slight tap or a feeling of heaviness as the rod slowly loads. Some people find this type of fishing too tedious, or boring. But, i’ve found that if you can condition yourself to get in “tune” with your jig and really slow down... way down... you’ll get some bites that you might not normally get fishing too fast.

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

This time of year when the water temps really start to cool quick, especially on smaller bodies of water like this one, it’s a must to condition yourself to that that type of retrieve.

It’s very similiar to working a football jig, and i’ve found that i really force myself to picture exactly what the jig is doing. I actually don’t even look at the water. I kind of look to the side and “feel” the jig through the retrieve if that makes sense. A super sensitive rod is a must, as some of these hits are barely detectable, more like a slight tap or a feeling of heaviness as the rod slowly loads. Some people find this type of fishing too tedious, or boring. But, i’ve found that if you can condition yourself to get in “tune” with your jig and really slow down... way down... you’ll get some bites that you might not normally get fishing too fast.

Do you swap out for a slower reel this time of year for this approach? I know some guys like to use an 8:1 for bottom contact jigging, and a retrieve that slow with 32-35 IPT would be pretty arthritic. 

Thanks for the cold water insights!

On 11/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, Mack26 said:

About 80% of my fishing this time of year, when water temps dip to the low 50’s, is done with the jig. Definately my go to. Then again, i’m obsessed with a jig.

Fishing a jig is very therapeutic, especially at night.

Just you, the subtle movements as you retrieve and impart some action to the jig, and the focus on what is going on with the jig as you await a strike.

9 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Do you swap out for a slower reel this time of year for this approach? I know some guys like to use an 8:1 for bottom contact jigging, and a retrieve that slow with 32-35 IPT would be pretty arthritic. 

Thanks for the cold water insights!

No i don’t, the reel i use for my jig fishing is the Lew’s HyperMag with a 8.3:1 gear ratio. The way i’m retrieving it, it wouldn’t matter what gear ratio your using, it’s up to YOU to work it correctly. When i’m retrieving the jig i’m talking only inches at a time, with very little movement, and shaking it similiar to when dropshotting to create pulsing in the skirt. I really believe that this is what is drawing the strikes.