KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

1,877 posts in this topic

Fished a pond this evening looking for quality fish so I figured I’d throw a decent size lure for them. I tried a jointed Rapala J13 - i think its the biggest one they make - managed to land 6 bass in the 12 to 14” range - not what I was looking for but that’s fishing. 

Towards dusk I switched to a frog and focused on a small cove with weed beds and lily pads - had 3 blow ups and only managed to land a 15” bass. 

weather has been horrible of late.  Had a window this evening with low wind and no storms so fished.   Two bass at 1-9 and 2-5,  I'm good.  Stave off the DTs for a bit..

20200522_183732 2-5.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

That sounds like a heart stopper!

Yes! It was also the completion of a great birthday. I had fished earlier for hours with nothing.

Top water is always exciting. A tiger muskie on the light freshwater tackle is always sporting also.

Made me forget about being 70 miles from the salt for a while.

Covid has really affected our local retention pond honey holes. Bored highschoolers flooding them paired with massive die offs due to rain/lack of township upkeep this season has forced us to look elsewhere. Finally paid off yesterday. There was a pickerel tip thread lately and I am finding two things. Smaller baits do better with them, even big ones. Also walking out into water and casting parallel to the shoreline results in more hookups. Our new favorite spot...

F78D16FE-2899-4BFD-B619-2C9D79621CB7.jpeg

00C572F0-6A46-4CD9-9B23-2D9FA3F3561A.jpeg

2F82E147-36CB-442C-961F-FFACB87AE566.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Yes! It was also the completion of a great birthday. I had fished earlier for hours with nothing.

Top water is always exciting. A tiger muskie on the light freshwater tackle is always sporting also.

Made me forget about being 70 miles from the salt for a while.

awesome - I live for top water action and the GunFish is one of my favorites.  

‘’Caught quite a few pickerel on top water but would love to get a nice Muskie on one. 

BTW - Happy Birthday!

2 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:
Covid has really affected our local retention pond honey holes. Bored highschoolers flooding them paired with massive die offs due to rain/lack of township upkeep this season has forced us to look elsewhere. Finally paid off yesterday. There was a pickerel tip thread lately and I am finding two things. Smaller baits do better with them, even big ones. Also walking out into water and casting parallel to the shoreline results in more hookups. Our new favorite spot...

F78D16FE-2899-4BFD-B619-2C9D79621CB7.jpeg

00C572F0-6A46-4CD9-9B23-2D9FA3F3561A.jpeg

2F82E147-36CB-442C-961F-FFACB87AE566.jpeg

The upside of your situation is you’re finding new waters to fish. I’m sort of in a similar situation - Covid has forced me to look closer to home for water and I’ve discovered a whole new world of pond fishing. 

BTW - that’s a serious sized perch.  

1 hour ago, NewAtIt said:

awesome - I live for top water action and the GunFish is one of my favorites.  

‘’Caught quite a few pickerel on top water but would love to get a nice Muskie on one. 

BTW - Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the BD wish.

I miss pickerel. Gunfish has a nice action. Actually couldn't resist the bargain cave buy at Cabelas (before they made it online only).

I caught an actual juvenile Muskie (27") about 3 weeks ago.

I didn't have many topwater lures when I was young and haunted pickerel ponds.  I did get a few on a jitterbug. Weedless spoon and a weedless red worm with a fast retrieve got most of them.

Pickerel gave me my love for the long toothy predators. I  had one shot at pike when I went to Erie for a wedding- got 6 and I need to get more. In the keys I targeted barracuda and really enjoyed their saltwater counterparts. I used to get one or two Tigers every year in April only. Then I went 3 years without. So it's nice to be back in with a Muskie & a Tiger.

I hope that you get one soon.

18 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

One beautiful 30" Tiger on a top water gunfish at dusk in the tidal fresh.

way to  go on the 30" tiger muskie!!

Edited by fishunt727

Got out for a quick two hours this morning before the rain got heavy. Managed one LMB, one yellow perch, one white perch and about a dozen nice sized crappie.

7 hours ago, NewAtIt said:

The upside of your situation is you’re finding new waters to fish. I’m sort of in a similar situation - Covid has forced me to look closer to home for water and I’ve discovered a whole new world of pond fishing. 

BTW - that’s a serious sized perch.  

It was the biggest perch we’ve ever caught and I have been fishing off and on for almost 35 years. It had a huge hump behind it’s head. It’s funny he has only been fish since last season and his pickerel, bass, crappie, and perch pb are all bigger than mine.

Edited by Sevendust111