KnewBee

Freshwater Fishing Reports

2,122 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had the most epic day of trout fishing ever - had the opportunity to spend the entire day on a trout stream with my Godson who is new to fishing and pass on some knowledge to him while actually catching some nice stockies. 

The original plan was to take him to the Delaware to chase big browns but the river is blown out so we had to go to what I feel is the most beautiful stream in NJ. 

Lessons for the day were:

that if you walk a bit you can avoid crowding people and being crowded. We hiked 5 miles - found plenty of wide open water and fish and only encountered people at popular spots where one can park their car and fish from it. I told him to avoid those spots.  We saw a few guys flogging a pool ( and not catching ) walked by a few hours later and the same guys were there still flogging away - not my style of fishing. 

that fish that are a hike away from easy car access areas are generally less pressured and more willing to take. 

reading the water and figuring out where the fish were holding. 

We fished classic floating Rapalas all day and he commented they don’t cast far - I explained to him that distance in  small stream fishing isn’t as important as accuracy and how you work the lure - he picked up on that pretty quickly. 

If a fish chases the lure and doesn’t take - give him a few shots from different angles and then give him a break and come back later and you’ll most likely get him. Don’t spend hours on an unwilling fish. 

Go out enjoy the day and the surrounding environment and that catching fish is just a nice bonus. 

Most important lesson of the day - STREAM / FISHING ETIQUETTE  - when you encounter another person on the stream politely ask them if they’re fishing upstream or downstream - avoid going where they plan to go and then give them a WIDE BERTH  and find your own water. 

All in a all a fantastic day for both of us. 

Next time we go out we need to work on his fish fight skills - he lost quite a few, and we need to work on his skills holding a fish properly - quite a few “ squirted “ out of his hands before I could snap a pic. 

And damn - the temps there dropped and it started snowing. 

F51186AF-A847-4DF6-9836-965991665D01.jpeg

08140E21-A9F8-461C-A9D8-EAC5890B77FB.jpeg

32623A36-7EF3-4D4E-95B7-C6649BE73031.jpeg

80720B70-4D3F-4EB3-B50B-52C44C28C360.jpeg

F0872C15-B81D-477D-B8D2-CB2754A9313C.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt

2 mins ago, bennie said:

I got 2 and marlo 4 trout today,,,,,,,:)

Nice to see no skunk!   Baby ducks make good bait!

4 mins ago, NewAtIt said:

Had the most epic day of trout fishing ever - had the opportunity to spend the entire day on a trout stream with my Godson who is new to fishing and pass on some knowledge to him while actually catching some nice stockies. 

The original plan was to take him to the Delaware to chase big browns but the river is blown out so we had to go to what I feel is the most beautiful stream in NJ. 

that if you walk a bit you can avoid crowding people and being crowded. We hiked 5 miles - found plenty of wide open water and fish and only encounter people at popular spots where one can park their car and fish from it. I told him to avoid those spots.  We saw a few guys flogging a pool ( and not catching ) walked by a few hours later and the same guys were there still flogging away - not my style of fishing. 

that fish that are a hike from easy car access areas are generally less pressured and more willing to take. 

We fished classic floating Rapalas all day and he commented they don’t cast far - I explained to him that distance in  small stream fishing isn’t as important as accuracy and how you work the lure - he picked up on that pretty quickly. 

If a fish chases the lure and doesn’t take - give him a break and come back later and you’ll most likely get him. Don’t spend hours on an unwilling fish. 

Go out enjoy the day and the surrounding environment and that catching fish is just a nice bonus. 

Most important lesson of the day - STREAM / FISHING ETIQUETTE  - when you encounter another person on the stream politely ask them if they’re fishing upstream or downstream - avoid going where they plan to go and then give them a WIDE BERTH  and find your own water. 

Next time we go out we need to work on his fish fight skills - he lost quite a few, and we need to work on his skills holding a fish properly - quite a few “ squirted “ out of his hands before I could snap a pic. 

And damn - the temps there dropped and started snowing. 

That sounds like a great day!   Except for the snow part!

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

That sounds like a great day!   Except for the snow part!

They’re not expecting and accumulation but the big bummer is over night temps are going to be 28 to 29 and more rain Friday into Saturday. I’m itching to get back to the Delaware but the flows are really high now from the 2” of rain we got the other day. 

1 min ago, NewAtIt said:

They’re not expecting and accumulation but the big bummer is over night temps are going to be 28 to 29 and more rain Friday into Saturday. I’m itching to get back to the Delaware but the flows are really high now from the 2” of rain we got the other day. 

Been crazy swings with the river gauge, temps, rain and wind lately, makes it tuff.    Just that time of year.

9 hours ago, NewAtIt said:

that if you walk a bit you can avoid crowding people and being crowded. We hiked 5 miles - found plenty of wide open water and fish and only encountered people at popular spots where one can park their car and fish from it. I told him to avoid those spots.  We saw a few guys flogging a pool ( and not catching ) walked by a few hours later and the same guys were there still flogging away - not my style of fishing. 

that fish that are a hike away from easy car access areas are generally less pressured and more willing to take. 

If a fish chases the lure and doesn’t take - give him a few shots from different angles and then give him a break and come back later and you’ll most likely get him. Don’t spend hours on an unwilling fish. 

And damn - the temps there dropped and it started snowing. 

F51186AF-A847-4DF6-9836-965991665D01.jpeg

08140E21-A9F8-461C-A9D8-EAC5890B77FB.jpeg

32623A36-7EF3-4D4E-95B7-C6649BE73031.jpeg

80720B70-4D3F-4EB3-B50B-52C44C28C360.jpeg

F0872C15-B81D-477D-B8D2-CB2754A9313C.jpeg

Great pics and report 

Most important lesson of the day - STREAM / FISHING ETIQUETTE  - when you encounter another person on the stream politely ask them if they’re fishing upstream or downstream - avoid going where they plan to go and then give them a WIDE BERTH  and find your own water. 

Can't agree more now than every , Its something I was taught on the stream , beach or lake , good call ! 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, 55555s said:

I think the 2 posts I was referring to had something to do with coyotes being released here (not correct) and coyotes having been here all along and we jsut didnt see them (not correct.).

There were wolves here, not coyotes.  Wolves were eradicated.  Coyotes expanded their range from the west, north and eastward.  Along the way they bred with dwindling wolf populations in canada and perhaps northern regions of US.  

They expanded their range to the east coast, where they are now flourishing.

They werent always here, the wolves were.  The coyotes are relative 'newcomers'.

Something like that.

This is true, but it’s estimated that this happened 154-190 years ago. So, they’ve always been here for our lifetimes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Faced some pretty big dips in the temperatures last night so i decided to target pickerel today at some small ponds near home. I landed a few pretty small ones on jerkbaits and a respectable sized one came undone at shore. 

13292BA2-E6B8-46DC-9A8A-AA6152408F33.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt

Hooked a pair of wild stream born trout.. Rainbow and brown in a river not listed to hold wild fish... Little 6inchers 

Got smoked by a real big trout that peeled off like a steelhead until it went airborne and threw the plug.. Then made my way up to a pool where a solid 6lb rainbow came out of the water broadside right off my rod tip.... And sat back and watched half a dozen Mongo rainbows feeding on the surface every 10 seconds... Spent about a half hour watching..they didn't care I was there and didn't care for anything I was throwing.  I bet in a few weeks when the smallies start popping they'll take a plug. 

That was yesterday. 

Day before I splashed the yak in the big river post flood... Drew a pair of swimbait follows of massive smallies.... Lots of paddling and no catching. 

The day the storm stopped storming and was nothing but wind and sporadic rain I smashed a bunch of bass up to 6lbs and had a tree fall about 50 yards away which served as a good reminder.... To Be wary.. Lots of dead and dying trees along the riverbanks now... Between floods, fungus, and beetles the trees are not what they were 20 years ago 

Been a productive spring thus far 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Hooked a pair of wild stream born trout.. Rainbow and brown in a river not listed to hold wild fish... Little 6inchers 

Got smoked by a real big trout that peeled off like a steelhead until it went airborne and threw the plug.. Then made my way up to a pool where a solid 6lb rainbow came out of the water broadside right off my rod tip.... And sat back and watched half a dozen Mongo rainbows feeding on the surface every 10 seconds... Spent about a half hour watching..they didn't care I was there and didn't care for anything I was throwing.  I bet in a few weeks when the smallies start popping they'll take a plug. 

That was yesterday. 

Day before I splashed the yak in the big river post flood... Drew a pair of swimbait follows of massive smallies.... Lots of paddling and no catching. 

The day the storm stopped storming and was nothing but wind and sporadic rain I smashed a bunch of bass up to 6lbs and had a tree fall about 50 yards away which served as a good reminder.... To Be wary.. Lots of dead and dying trees along the riverbanks now... Between floods, fungus, and beetles the trees are not what they were 20 years ago 

Been a productive spring thus far 

Way to get on em!   Weather here has been off the charts crazy!!!  

2 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Way to get on em!   Weather here has been off the charts crazy!!!  

crazy indeed ...4"-6" of snow last night