codfish

FISH REPORT 2019 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

1,518 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Theroe said:

I HOPE we have Haddock this spring......last year was a bust, at least for me.

Theroe the Spring haddock bite was not a bust they were just not in the same areas they were in 2018,

The Spring haddock bite was in 260 feet of water on the back side of the Bank.

14 hours ago, codfish said:

Theroe the Spring haddock bite was not a bust they were just not in the same areas they were in 2018,

The Spring haddock bite was in 260 feet of water on the back side of the Bank.

Was there last month, good but not great....

luv those electric reels... :-)

we need ice

That video was shot in my neck of the CT River when fish were engaging in spawning behavior during the Spring run. Most people use darts to target shad, this guy was using a willow leaf which also catches shad, but the herring like them too. He thinks a herring hit the willow leaf then that fish hit the herring. The two males were following the fish to the boat attempting to spawn with it and that's how he netted them all at once. The angler used to work at Dick's in Hadley maybe West Springfield?? He had that willow leaf on his key chain last time I saw him a few years back.

11 hours ago, codfish said:

This video makes December a little easier :):)

my mom lives in CT right near where the Farmington comes into the CT.  shad fished the CT river many Mays on her birthday weekend (May 8).  for her birthday she always wanted a day fishing with one or some of her “boys”.  more than once we had small alewifes take a willow leaf only to be swallowed by a bass... never anything as big as these guys - closer to 30” - and never actually “hooked”... they’d just have the alewife in their mouths and get dragged in - typically letting go sometime before they got to us or just as...