codfish

FISH REPORT 2019 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

1,343 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

if you are solo stick to high enuf tide you can pull up along the opposite side of the gangway / bridge.  if you have a second you can use the ladder at the end of the gangway / bridge...

The cabin on my boat is a problem at Pamet with the wind quite often.  But... I had to compromise with my family.

31 mins ago, whaler1889 said:

The cabin on my boat is a problem at Pamet with the wind quite often.  But... I had to compromise with my family.

its easy w/ 2... 

drop in, one guy backs out while the other parks then walks out and drops onto the bow off the ladder.

opposite coming in.  one guy on the bow.  approach slow - grab on - climb the ladder, go get the trailer...

bring an inner tube / something big and bouncy for a bow bump (?)

11 hours ago, codfish said:

Last year we tried it after they pulled the docks, it did not go well:)

Solo can be an issue.....two years ago, I was up around the same time of year: drove all night with the boat from NYC, launched @ 4AM, fished all day until after dark, made it back to Pamet around 8PM......it was dark, save for the single yellow streetlight at the top of the ramp. Pulled up, tied the boat, ran up hopped in the truck and backed her down.....back around, down the ladder & on the boat. Eased her up the trailer, and did the same move I have done hundreds of times: climbed over the bow rail, to step on the trailer winch horn.

Except this time, my right foot slipped on a previously unseen/unnoticed seagull turd pile......lost my grip with wet hands, did a full gainer, hit my head on the tailgate, landing with my ribs on the trailer tongue, and bounced into the water. It knocked the wind right out of me........and NO ONE was around....Fortunately, I was wearing my life jacket, and it absorbed some of the trailer impact. It took me a full ten minutes to recover......then resume hauling out.

While this may sound humorous, it was not. This just goes to show you how things can go bad quickly.

Be safe.

Dana

On 10/6/2019 at 5:23 AM, Kones1 said:

Last nite at sundown a few 30” fish made an error in judgement. After 2 days of throwing everything in the tackle store we were blessed with several of the nicest fish of the season. Only 3 @ 30” and 1 @ 33 it felt like the good ol days.  

That would be the best trip for quality fish of the season for me.  Glad to hear someone had a good outing!

12 hours ago, Theroe said:

Solo can be an issue.....two years ago, I was up around the same time of year: drove all night with the boat from NYC, launched @ 4AM, fished all day until after dark, made it back to Pamet around 8PM......it was dark, save for the single yellow streetlight at the top of the ramp. Pulled up, tied the boat, ran up hopped in the truck and backed her down.....back around, down the ladder & on the boat. Eased her up the trailer, and did the same move I have done hundreds of times: climbed over the bow rail, to step on the trailer winch horn.

Except this time, my right foot slipped on a previously unseen/unnoticed seagull turd pile......lost my grip with wet hands, did a full gainer, hit my head on the tailgate, landing with my ribs on the trailer tongue, and bounced into the water. It knocked the wind right out of me........and NO ONE was around....Fortunately, I was wearing my life jacket, and it absorbed some of the trailer impact. It took me a full ten minutes to recover......then resume hauling out.

While this may sound humorous, it was not. This just goes to show you how things can go bad quickly.

Be safe.

Dana

Dana thanks for sharing, I feel your pain, I have been watching the weather so I can pull my traps, This week its all NE winds with seas up to 8 ft, yikes:)

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, Theroe said:

Be safe.

Dana

Dana,

Thanks for sharing.  Last year I made a ladder setup for my trailer so that I could launch at pamet  by myself.  After thinking about it,  I envisioned a similar scene that you experienced and gave up on that idea. 

A few years ago when I was replacing  a window in my house on the cape I fell off the third rung of a step ladder in the end of November with my cellphone in the house and no one around.  I landed on my ribs and was stunned and in pain for about a hour. 

At that time I was still playing ice hockey at a very competitive level and when I fell off the ladder I was shocked at how slow I reacted during the fall. 

Edited by whaler1889

37 mins ago, codfish said:

Dana thanks for sharing, I feel your pain, I have been watching the weather so I can pull my traps, This week its all NE winds with seas up to 8 ft, yikes:)

pulled the pots on 9/30 so they wouldn’t be something i had to do when the weather went to hell or wanted to go tuna fishing.  left un baited after the last pull three weeks earlier (we were going to be away) some still had lobsters.  maybe they just stink enuf after the season to attract even un baited (??).  anyway - 8 pots, 12 lobsters, 4 BIG eggers, 2 notch, 2 little guys and 4 nice keepers.

i think lobsters come and go as they please.  its just if you get lucky and pull them at the right moment.  it just doesn’t make sense otherwise.

not the best lobster season.  started out great then dropped off - but still good and i’m guessing our pots will be back out next season.

we’re coming up on saturday for some more tuna fishing.  the forecast has the weather breaking and starting to lay up by saturday evening.  we’re hoping for good weather sunday and monday so we can get out and match last week’s good fishing :bigeyes:

floats are still in at the pamet - at least 2-3 more weeks (tony said likely til the first week in november).

i used to play a lot of serious hockey too and have slipped launcing solo and taken some of the worst body checks of my life.

i still launch and pull solo... just slowly and carefully and ALWAYS make sure i have a grip before i commit to any foot hold.  made figure 8 rope that goes thru bow cleat as a sure hand hold.

hope to see you out there !

10 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

pulled the pots on 9/30 so they wouldn’t be something i had to do when the weather went to hell or wanted to go tuna fishing.  left un baited after the last pull three weeks earlier (we were going to be away) some still had lobsters.  maybe they just stink enuf after the season to attract even un baited (??).  anyway - 8 pots, 12 lobsters, 4 BIG eggers, 2 notch, 2 little guys and 4 nice keepers.

i think lobsters come and go as they please.  its just if you get lucky and pull them at the right moment.  it just doesn’t make sense otherwise.

not the best lobster season.  started out great then dropped off - but still good and i’m guessing our pots will be back out next season.

we’re coming up on saturday for some more tuna fishing.  the forecast has the weather breaking and starting to lay up by saturday evening.  we’re hoping for good weather sunday and monday so we can get out and match last week’s good fishing :bigeyes:

floats are still in at the pamet - at least 2-3 more weeks (tony said likely til the first week in november).

i used to play a lot of serious hockey too and have slipped launcing solo and taken some of the worst body checks of my life.

i still launch and pull solo... just slowly and carefully and ALWAYS make sure i have a grip before i commit to any foot hold.  made figure 8 rope that goes thru bow cleat as a sure hand hold.

"i think lobsters come and go as they please." A recent study found that for every 100 lobsters entering a trap only 3 on average are caught.

13 mins ago, codfish said:

"i think lobsters come and go as they please." A recent study found that for every 100 lobsters entering a trap only 3 on average are caught.

I bought 6 new traps 3 years ago and purchased annual rec permits.....I have yet to used them because I don’t want to haul them by hand. Haha.

2 hours ago, IamFish said:

I bought 6 new traps 3 years ago and purchased annual rec permits.....I have yet to used them because I don’t want to haul them by hand. Haha.

its not that bad.  by summer gloves help a lot (grip!).  i’m getting “older” myself but can still manage 3 or 4 on an average sea day no problem.  for us, the best easy solution if available... TEENAGERS (!).  between me and my siblings kids and their friends its usually easy to get a couple on the boat for pulling pots.  they make a competition out of it (time to surface, counts of crabs, lobsters in general, keepers and anything else in there).  we’ll do the full set (usually 8) in 45 minutes or less!

Just now, nicknotsebastian said:

its not that bad.  by summer gloves help a lot (grip!).  i’m getting “older” myself but can still manage 3 or 4 on an average sea day no problem.  for us, the best easy solution if available... TEENAGERS (!).  between me and my siblings kids and their friends its usually easy to get a couple on the boat for pulling pots.  they make a competition out of it (time to surface, counts of crabs, lobsters in general, keepers and anything else in there).  we’ll do the full set (usually 8) in 45 minutes or less!

and 6 is perfect... when you are there in season you could get lobsters almost every day (weather permitting).  pull 3 a day every other day.  start with varying depths and bait and after every couple pull days, move everything and make more similar to whatever pot does best !  after a week or two of fine tuning, you should be getting at least a couple keepers per pot per pull.

1 min ago, nicknotsebastian said:

and 6 is perfect... when you are there in season you could get lobsters almost every day (weather permitting).  pull 3 a day every other day.  start with varying depths and bait and after every couple pull days, move everything and make more similar to whatever pot does best !  after a week or two of fine tuning, you should be getting at least a couple keepers per pot per pull.

Awesome, thanks for the advice and motivation.   I might just drop them next season.  Thanks again.

14 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

There is a video somewhere online of an underwater camera mounted on a trap: the lobsters go in and out on a regular basis, unencumbered!