codfish

FISH REPORT 2019 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

1,518 posts in this topic

L dock in Patchogue,or Babylon Cove? the winter of 81 the GSB froze over dec 14,that was the my last last year living on LI.it was really tricky walking out after a freeze and some snow,you didnt know where the holes from prevoius days were.i went thru once,thank god for wool pants and shirt under my rain gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robc22 said:

How about ice fishing for quahogs??.......:)

 

IceRaking1USM-720x550.jpg.a84396f05ffdf1eca35ea42ff0cf1c88.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that's the mouth of Greenwich Cove, in front of the Goddard Park Beach Pavilion, back in the early to mid 70's.   If so Rob, I remember it well....we would use our chain saws and cut thru up to 20" of ice during the transplant open days....there would be 200 guys out there every open day in the winter (when boats would be iced in); now there ain't even 200 full time quohoggers in Narragansett Bay......thanks for the memories....   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, makaha said:

If I'm not mistaken, that's the mouth of Greenwich Cove, in front of the Goddard Park Beach Pavilion, back in the early to mid 70's.   If so Rob, I remember it well....we would use our chain saws and cut thru up to 20" of ice during the transplant open days....there would be 200 guys out there every open day in the winter (when boats would be iced in); now there ain't even 200 full time quohoggers in Narragansett Bay......thanks for the memories....   :)

Please explain the Picture??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, codfish said:

Please explain the Picture??

Like I stated in my earlier post, that spot is right outside the mouth of East Greenwich Cove, which is part of East Greenwich Bay (part of Narragansett Bay); Its a shellfish transplant area. Guys would dig hard shell clams in polluted area in Greenwich Cove in the summer...RIDEM would then transplant them out in Greenwich Bay, which used to be closed in the summer. The clams would cleanse themselves and be safe for consumption during the winter months.  During that winter (like most winters), Greenwich Bay would freeze over... no boats could get out of Warwick Cove, Apponaug Cove, Greenwich Cove; so when the water would freeze over, all the shellfishermen would walk out from Goddard Park, cut long rectangular holes in the ice with chainsaws and dig...a few guys would tong, but most of us would use the same stale/rakes we would use in the open water days from boats....it was crazy days, but money was tight, and quohogging was good, so to keep at it, that's what guys did....so that was what was happening back on that day the picture was snapped...…...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the winter of 81 the price of little necks hit a record high of 20 cent apiece,a 100.00 count bag.the guys that raked usually left a little pile of clams right under the hole they raked thru,using a pair of tongs was a good way to clean up after the rakers left. i always had my tongs with me along with a rake.i think Rob might have posted more pictures of ice clamming in some prevoius threads. i do know of at least one person who lost his VW bug going thru the ice with his gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, makaha said:

Like I stated in my earlier post, that spot is right outside the mouth of East Greenwich Cove, which is part of East Greenwich Bay (part of Narragansett Bay); Its a shellfish transplant area. Guys would dig hard shell clams in polluted area in Greenwich Cove in the summer...RIDEM would then transplant them out in Greenwich Bay, which used to be closed in the summer. The clams would cleanse themselves and be safe for consumption during the winter months.  During that winter (like most winters), Greenwich Bay would freeze over... no boats could get out of Warwick Cove, Apponaug Cove, Greenwich Cove; so when the water would freeze over, all the shellfishermen would walk out from Goddard Park, cut long rectangular holes in the ice with chainsaws and dig...a few guys would tong, but most of us would use the same stale/rakes we would use in the open water days from boats....it was crazy days, but money was tight, and quohogging was good, so to keep at it, that's what guys did....so that was what was happening back on that day the picture was snapped...…...

Thanks for sharing:):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, codfish said:

Thanks :) 2019 was the year of the Short fin squid for sure

79762705_10220982329245978_3411792341994831872_o.jpg

Fun for sure, set the light out about an hr before first light and filled the bait tank  with those guys,,,, Sa mash....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 8:09 AM, robc22 said:

How about ice fishing for quahogs??.......:)

 

IceRaking1USM-720x550.jpg.a84396f05ffdf1eca35ea42ff0cf1c88.jpg

Wow, how cool is that  that

 

 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:18 AM, codfish said:

does ice fishing count:)

it sure does and raking 

 

AEC44FAC-907A-4DC9-A1B2-FDFB9B3475FC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good time to fish CCB 

Mon
E winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft. Rain and sleet. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.
Mon Night
E winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 9 to 12 ft. Rain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.