jerseystriper

Clams/Navisink no steamers to be had

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, jerseystriper said:

good find, passed that along to mrs. rocco, as she subscribes to that journal, knows the spot we are talking about and loves piss clams to see if she thinks this has merit here.

20 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

They can move.  

i wonder just how much. i'd think more vertically than laterally, but i agree, don't think they were smothered. have you ever put a hard shell clam in an aquarium on the sand. pretty amazing to watch them go. first time i did it, dropped the clam in, turned around to do something else for half a minute and came back at it was gone. just not sure how much the soft shells can move around in the mud.

i still like salinity for a possible culprit, as i'm sure you know sensitive invertebrates can be to it. that coral in my avatar died while i was on vacation and my auto top off got stuck on and dropped the salinity in the aquarium too much. i'm thinking the near constant rains over the summer just pooled up in the the shallows and on the banks and clams couldn't wait it out.

6 mins ago, rocco said:

i wonder just how much.

I'm not sure that they move like razor clams, but I've seen them move.  

6 mins ago, rocco said:

i still like salinity for a possible culprit, as i'm sure you know sensitive invertebrates can be to it.

I don't know if you purge them, but I do.  I simply mix a half cup of kosher salt with some fresh water and stick them in my garage like that and sometimes they'll last over a week.  I don't think you can compare them to reef critters that need consistent parameter.  

5 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I'm not sure that they move like razor clams, but I've seen them move.  

I don't know if you purge them, but I do.  I simply mix a half cup of kosher salt with some fresh water and stick them in my garage like that and sometimes they'll last over a week.  I don't think you can compare them to reef critters that need consistent parameter.  

:laugh:

that's awesome footage and kind or what i was thinking. looks like the dump salt on them to get them moving (salinity!). they move good vertically, and then with maybe use some help from the tide. so new theory, maybe they just moved :wee: or tried to and the gulls had a feast :shrug:

i'm sure they are definitely tougher than reef stuff, but how tough i don't know. rainiest year on record just really stands out to me.

i used to purge them with some sea salt and cold water too, until eagle's dare told me i was doing it wrong. he said alternating baths of warm and cold water just before you cook :read: 

so this one guy (jersey********)  his love of clam anus decimated the whole clam lands?  No clams in clam town because greedy ass jersey striper loves clam anus.   He harvested them by the tons, we know his post says 3-5 pounds but when your an addict your an addict.  He made clam anus every way possible fried clam anus, boiled clam anus, poached clam anus( chum slick johns favorite) clam anus in butter clam anus cakes etc.  I bet he got a whole freezer of clam anus in his basement but you know he wants more. 

7 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

so this one guy (jersey********)  his love of clam anus decimated the whole clam lands?  No clams in clam town because greedy ass jersey striper loves clam anus.   He harvested them by the tons, we know his post says 3-5 pounds but when your an addict your an addict.  He made clam anus every way possible fried clam anus, boiled clam anus, poached clam anus( chum slick johns favorite) clam anus in butter clam anus cakes etc.  I bet he got a whole freezer of clam anus in his basement but you know he wants more. 

THAT, is funny. I prefer quahogs, but when my son gets steamers I always have few. 

12 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

He must have run out of these

y3kIgU3.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, jerseystriper said:

I guess like the rest of the state, they moved out of Jersey to North Carolina. 

Hehe!  Half my high school class of 85 has done that!

A quarter of my friends in the NJ National Guard did that when we came back from Iraq!