Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseystriper

Clams/Navisink no steamers to be had

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Went clamming Sunday in the river. My son who is addicted to steamer clams hunted/dug the mud all over. Not a single bed of steamers to be had, I dig for the regular quahogs and did just fine once I located them. My son usually will pull out 3-5 pounds of steamers every time we go out. Have no idea what may have happen to the steamers. No razer clams uncovered also. Hard to fathom commercial guys getting them all, its not  a place boats can usually go and suck them up. Very odd not to locate any steamers.   

I suspect the extra warm water this past summer kill the soft shells!

Back in the 90’s a heat wave killed the steamers in the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers!  It took almost 20 years for them to come back to the Navesink River. The winters of 2015, 2016, 2017 were loaded with large and small soft shells!

Hot water killed them? I guess that could happen. Past few years have been very good for steamers, once you did the work of finding them. I figured something was eating them or some odd parasite.

Sunday clamming is allowed in Navisink/Shrewsbury. Its the rest of the state that you cant. Personally I wish clamming would start after duck season. Had more then a few clammers start digging right in front of my decoys. When I stand up and point out Im hunting most are willing to move someplace else, there are always exceptions who don't care and its me who ends up moving.

13 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

Hot water killed them? I guess that could happen. Past few years have been very good for steamers, once you did the work of finding them. I figured something was eating them or some odd parasite.

Sunday clamming is allowed in Navisink/Shrewsbury. Its the rest of the state that you cant. Personally I wish clamming would start after duck season. Had more then a few clammers start digging right in front of my decoys. When I stand up and point out Im hunting most are willing to move someplace else, there are always exceptions who don't care and its me who ends up moving.

Someone mentioned the same issue up north in NE. Not a local issue.

15 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

Personally I wish clamming would start after duck season. Had more then a few clammers start digging right in front of my decoys.

I thought it was an unspoken creed that duck hunters get high tide and clammers get low tide.  Not any more?  

3 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Someone mentioned the same issue up north in NE. Not a local issue.

OT...

just noticed the stamped "7#s" on ur avatar....

Hysterical!

[carry on.....]

Could the issue with the steamers have anything to do with water quality?

You have to suspect that the quality this year has been consistently exceptionally bad, what with 179 days of rain this year and all the polluted runoff.

I'm passing on Navesink clams this season

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Could the issue with the steamers have anything to do with water quality?

You have to suspect that the quality this year has been consistently exceptionally bad, what with 179 days of rain this year and all the polluted runoff.

I'm passing on Navesink clams this season

with all the rain we got, i would think water quality and especially salinity could have made a difference too. not sure if there is a monitoring station near that stretch of the navesink, but if there is, water temp should be a baseline measure and easy enough to look at from year to year. salinity data might be harder to come by. and more difficult still would be data pertaining to pollution/runoff.

i don't think it was that much warmer back there than years past, but i could certainly be wrong. i'm only questioning temp because the other die off i heard about was from seadogface in massachusetts.

probably not one smoking gun here, but a combination of factors.

36 mins ago, rocco said:

with all the rain we got, i would think water quality and especially salinity could have made a difference too. not sure if there is a monitoring station near that stretch of the navesink, but if there is, water temp should be a baseline measure and easy enough to look at from year to year. salinity data might be harder to come by. and more difficult still would be data pertaining to pollution/runoff.

i don't think it was that much warmer back there than years past, but i could certainly be wrong. i'm only questioning temp because the other die off i heard about was from seadogface in massachusetts.

probably not one smoking gun here, but a combination of factors.

Looked at a graphic today that showed rainfall for 2018. NJ set a record and Monmouth County was near the top of the list at 70.6", 23.9" above normal.

I thought it was an unspoken creed that duck hunters get high tide and clammers get low tide.  Not any more?

I have to admit I never heard of this one. Its not a big deal, the vast majority of people respect each other, their pursuits and their is enough room to find a spot to hunt. 

I tried calling the state Shellfisheries number but no one picked up. It is just a bit odd no pissers could be found when i years past it was loaded. 

4 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

I have to admit I never heard of this one. Its not a big deal, the vast majority of people respect each other, their pursuits and their is enough room to find a spot to hunt. 

I tried calling the state Shellfisheries number but no one picked up. It is just a bit odd no pissers could be found when i years past it was loaded. 

Last year I probably killed at least 50 half inch pissers for each hard clam. The place was absolutely overrun with them. I actually thought there may be an issue with so many.

The day I went out there this year I would rake some spots that would absolutely reek, and other spots I would hit a pocket of something that would actually float to the top and look like an oil sheen on the water.  All those clams decomposing probably.