Peter D

AN OLD TED WILLIAMS STORY

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, Peter D said:

I fished with Bob Smith in the late 50's and 60's. Smith was the weigh master at the Cuttyhunk docks. He weighed in and certified Nee's fish. I don't believe Nee fished with Smith. He fished with Haag and Sabotowski. He may have also fished with Joe Cordeiro. I told  Smith we needed to get a fish larger that Nee's because Nee would needle me at club meetings claiming Haag was a better fisherman than Haag (he wasn't). I did get 5 bass over 50 lbs in those days with Smith, largest 59 lbs-8oz. Never did get a 60. We "squeezed the scale" with that fish but no matter how we tried couldn't push 60. I did fish with Sabatowski in '57 in his old boat. Smith and Haag could become pretty nasty out on the rips where each would try to "push" each other off the rip, especially in the Pigs. Smith was a mater with eel skin rigs off the beaches (Nashawhena, Nashon, etc.) after the fish left the rips, usually beginning in mid July. My best luck with Smith was at the Pig's, Quick's and Devil's (Gay Head Martha's Vineyard) rips in late June.

Don Nee did fish with Smith. He was often there the day before or was coming after us. This was probably early 70's.

June and October were the Caps QUALITY months. Smith's wife Marjorie had to be a saint to put up with him. Did you like the ride in the old chevy wagon with no floor in the back seat. Wasn't Nee a big union guy? I remember one night I had a large on and Smith was hollering at me that I did not set the hooks hard enough (black google eye plug) he said it was over 50# and I would not see it . He was right.

I fished with Joe on the Black Hawk a couple of times. ,  a lot of the time with Bud Henderson  , Little Darling . They were the great captians . Then Bud passed away,RIP.  I liked  Jack Renyolds also with his 29’ Dyer.  

Those were the days  

2 hours ago, K Foley said:

Don Nee did fish with Smith. He was often there the day before or was coming after us. This was probably early 70's.

June and October were the Caps QUALITY months. Smith's wife Marjorie had to be a saint to put up with him. Did you like the ride in the old chevy wagon with no floor in the back seat. Wasn't Nee a big union guy? I remember one night I had a large on and Smith was hollering at me that I did not set the hooks hard enough (black google eye plug) he said it was over 50# and I would not see it . He was right.

You are correct. I stopped fishing with Smith in the late 60's after I got my boat. The Mayflower Anglers had broken up by then so I lost track of Nee. Nee worked for the gas co. and was involved with the union. June indeed was a prime month for Smith. That's when the fish were on the rips and onea good night you could fill up the boat with big bass. I fished most of the times by myself with Smith. I'd stay in Cuttyhunk for a week.

Marj was a darling and there were times he was so mean to her I thought of punching him in the nose. Marj was a slight lady and Smith was a pretty big guy. Do you recall the big scar Smith had on his face? Smith could be brutal if you screwed up while fishing with him. One week a family friend, who was a surgeon, spent a week with me fishing with Smith. It was June and we would fish the rips all night. In the rips we used monel wire. The surgeon wore gloves to protect his hands (for obvious reasons) from the wire. Smith went through the roof and told him to take the damn gloves off because he didn't want to have a big bass dropped. I pulled Smith aside and interceded and asked that he be consider the guy could not afford to damage his hand - Smith grumbled but said OK. When the week ended he asked me not to ever bring the Doc with me. I used to book 5 days to a week each year with Smith and stayed at the Allen House. Smith and I got along pretty good because I don't think I ever lost a fish with him. One night I took a fishing friend with me in my second year with Smith and we were trolling with eelskin rigs against the Nashon shore, close to the cliffs and rocks. The friend got a big bass on and at one stage during the battle the fish turned and headed straight for the stern of the boat. The line went slack but Smith could see that fish was still on and shouted for him to reel like hell and take up the slack and to be prepared to use his hand when the line  tightened and pull out line against the drag to soften the shock of fish turning 180 and abruptly taking line out against a static drag. Well sir, he was to slow and that bass turned so quickly the slack went tight and the reel took most of the shock. The lead core line snapped like a thread and the fish was gone. (We always fished monel on the rips and lead core off the beaches.) I won't attempt to repeat the deluge of coarse language that Smith used to display his displeasure with the loss of that fish.

I got along good with Smith since I learned quickly how to fish in rips his way. After I left fishing Cuttyhunk I spent a good deal of time fishing the rip at the mouth of the Merrimack R wire lining at night having learned the ropes from Smith. He was a good and demanding teacher and it was important to know how to humor him. He did not suffer fools gladly. He was fiercely competitive and it became worse when Haag came along and became his prime competitor. It was something to behold their interaction on the rips. That's a story for another time. It didn't help as in those days there was no limit on the number of bass taken (over 16 in.) and a handsome sum was gained selling bass in New Bedford to supplement the charter fee.

I do remember the scar. He must have pissed somebody off that had a blade. We used to stay downstairs at his house and he would wake us up by pounding a broom handle on the floor to get us up for night fishing. We would go back to his house after a short period of using worms on a tube for a little "daylight" fishing. Marj would make him a drink that he would finish off pretty quickly then rattle the cubes in the glass for her to make another. The trip to sell the fish and get a flat of worms for daytime was interesting. He would walk in the door and bellow "Good morning" you Port blank blank Bastards!. Funny how all the other boats with sports would be waving to each other but not Capt Bob aboard the Susan B. A lot of memories for sure. Now my Striper fishing is pretty much just the CCC which is becoming way too crowded compared to just a few years ago. Nice sharing memories with you.

20 mins ago, K Foley said:

I do remember the scar. He must have pissed somebody off that had a blade. We used to stay downstairs at his house and he would wake us up by pounding a broom handle on the floor to get us up for night fishing. We would go back to his house after a short period of using worms on a tube for a little "daylight" fishing. Marj would make him a drink that he would finish off pretty quickly then rattle the cubes in the glass for her to make another. The trip to sell the fish and get a flat of worms for daytime was interesting. He would walk in the door and bellow "Good morning" you Port blank blank Bastards!. Funny how all the other boats with sports would be waving to each other but not Capt Bob aboard the Susan B. A lot of memories for sure. Now my Striper fishing is pretty much just the CCC which is becoming way too crowded compared to just a few years ago. Nice sharing memories with you.

Kevin...…………..is that you????????????

Just now, K Foley said:

Hi Bernie,

Yes it is.

How many days until BSP opens?

March 29 if there are no problems...…………(not soon enough)

13 mins ago, K Foley said:

Pouring lead and waiting for the  RISSA show? Any snow on the ground in Ware?

Got a light dusting last night but nothing really.  We are out in the shop off and on all day pouring and tying bucktails, painting plugs and pouring jig heads for plastics.  The boss also decreed that we will start the season with enough 1 and 2 oz. bank, egg and pyramid sinkers for the year as they are a PIA to make.  We will be at RISAA (the week before BSP opens) same booth and looking forward to seeing everybody.

See you soon

One thing about Ted Williams that I like to tell Baseball fans is the time in an interview he was asked what was the best thing about baseball and he said: "it gave him time to go fishing!"

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, Stripernut1 said:

One thing about Ted Williams that I like to tell Baseball fans is the time in an interview he was asked what was the best thing about baseball and he said: "it gave him time to go fishing!"

Which in another time Ted would spend all his free time doing, in one form or another. Then again he was also the main attraction at many of the local show in the old Mechanics Hall along with former heavy weight champion Jack Sharkey . His casting the magic wand along with the usual man to man fighting on the rod and reel along the length of the pool was always interesting to see. He would allow the swimmer to almost reach the other side and he would stop them before they could touch and reel them back to where he was standing. In all the times I witnessed, this battle I never would see him lose . He often had some real big guys challenge him from the audience and whether is was planned or not, it made for an exciting observation . 

I can say that his fly casting skills were outstanding as he often would cast the fly well beyond the end of the pool where he was standing out over the large crowd he often attracted to watch this event , this was a real example of his ability to put a fly beyond many would also would challenge him during these events . This for sure was a real tresat for those who came to just watch him at the pool

Edited by Angler #1

I had the opportunity to accompany Ted, his son John Henry and Ted's handler on a trip from Boston to Nashua.  

All three were very nice and personable.  John Henry was clearly the extrovert.

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Which in another time Ted would spend all his free time doing, in one form or another. Then again he was also the main attraction at many of the local show in the old Mechanics Hall along with former heavy weight champion Jack Sharkey . His casting the magic wand along with the usual man to man fighting on the rod and reel along the length of the pool was always interesting to see. He would allow the swimmer to almost reach the other side and he would stop them before they could touch and reel them back to where he was standing. In all the times I witnessed, this battle I never would see him lose . He often had some real big guys challenge him from the audience and whether is was planned or not, it made for an exciting observation . 

I can say that his fly casting skills were outstanding as he often would cast the fly well beyond the end of the pool where he was standing out over the large crowd he often attracted to watch this event , this was a real example of his ability to put a fly beyond many would also would challenge him during these events . This for sure was a real tresat for those who came to just watch him at the pool

I remember these shows.  Jack Sharkey always cast a longer line then Ted,  but Ted was always more accurate.  These shows were on Commonwealth Ave.  Don't remember the name of the venue tho....

I was a youngin.......