hunter123

704Z bailess kit

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like to flip my bails back over manualy. My 704z is a pain . Noting wrong with the reel. I want to change it over to a bailess with a good kit. Now I only use this reel for soaking bait from the beach. Would it be worth putting a kit on her. Also were would I get one. Thanks

Edited by hunter123

I'm not a fan of the manual pickup for soaking bait.

Too easy for wave action to loosen the line enough to fall off the roller if you keep it in a sand spike - You have to hold the rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Sudsy. I didn't know this. Never used a bailess reel. But the reel would be used for soaking bait in a rod holder. Makes sense , Reel works great , just have to move the bail to make it close. Food for thought.

Edited by hunter123

It'll take some time to get used to the bail-less, the handle needs to be angled a certain way when casting but once you get the hang of it you will probably prefer it.

tony

I think going manual bail is the best of both worlds: you still have the bail, but it can't snap shut on you unexpectedly. You have to close it manually.

I dunno what it takes to make a 704 manual bail -- someone smarter than me may chime in. I know you can do it with other reels very simply, by removing a pin/lever thingy, but I don't know how one does it, or even if it's possible, with the 704 and 706.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, hunter123 said:

Thanks Sudsy. I didn't know this. Never used a bailess reel. But the reel would be used for soaking bait in a rod holder. Makes sense , Reel works great , just have to move the bail to make it close. Food for thought.

And FWIW, manual pickup is the only way to go for throwing artificials ! 

For the 704 the "mushroom" bail kit is the right choice (no idea if they still make it or not)

5c2ff067366b8_PennMushroomBailkit.jpg.6bc2f8f4a6c86150ed2a3733f49f00d8.jpg

Thanks again , Sudsy. I'm keeping the bail on the 704Z , I'm only using it for cut bait. But I'll check into changing my plug casting reels. Thanks again.