Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Vessel Mistress Capsize off Wind Farm

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I know this boat. Pass it all the time launching out of Galilee. Hope they find all the crew.

(WPRI) — Coast Guard officials are searching for two missing fishermen after a fishing boat capsized off Block Island early Tuesday morning.

The captain of the Mistress issued a mayday around 1:30 a.m., saying the boat was taking on water.

A nearby fishing boat, Captain Bligh, was able to get to the Mistress first. However, they were only able to rescue one of the three fishermen.

Pic of Captain Bligh's boat. He was first on scene and rescue one crew member.

CaptainBligh.jpg

One of the crewmen was just a kid living in a halfway house when my mother met him and practically adopted him.  He had never been on a motorcycle so my mother talked me into taking him for a ride on mine just before I left for Germany.

It was his son that was rescued.  He is one of the 2 missing.

My mother was pretty upset about it.

God Bless em.

I knew Oscar.  Never fished with him but I saw him around the docks and offshore.  He used to be part owner of and run the Second Wind as well.  Good fisherman.  Great guy.  Such a shame.  Everybody down the Point is hurting.  First boat and crew we've lost since Phil Rhule on the Sea Breeze over 10 years ago.  Puts the reality of how dangerous the job is and how quickly things can go south out there right in your face.