RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

169 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I think a whole lot of stuff got taken out of context

 

No one said anything negative about anyone, the state of the fishery and the lack of larger fish on the beaches was the point.

And a very legitimate point ! Seriously, where the hell were the teens and twenties, much less at least the occasional 30 and 40 ??? I thought the season before was terrible, it was good compared to the season we just had. My highlight of the year from the ground was a lousy 14#er - my worst season since the moratorium years

 

Boats caught em good - why didn't they come to the beach at all for the past two years ? Are they pumping something so toxic onto our beaches that it's keeping the fish away ? The majority of the mullet ran straight offshore, the fall peanut run ran straight offshore, the main body of the spring and fall bunker runs stayed offshore. 

According to a charter capt friend of mine (Capt Eric) he'd be on bass busting bunker heading towards the beach and virtually every single time, they'd hit the 1/4 mile mark and turn around back offshore.

 

Something is wrong

 

Which is the point FBN was trying to make (rather poorly)

 

I caught em all in march.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are awesome statistics @MC55 You’re a big inspiration to us newer guys on here too. Appreciate all your posts, always offering advice and keeping us in the know for what’s working for you. In my first two years, never started a log - probably a big mistake. Will def do that this year

 

Im with ya @Sudsy I think there’s pollution issues. Maybe the replenishment in the ‘90s didn’t get down to the sand levels where pollution settled and now we’re getting into that layer with the last replenishment. And if it’s not radioactive pollution, there is just an absurd amount of garbage in the water and on the beaches. I know if I had no choice but to swim in polluted water- I’d rather do it where there was more water then less. And loss of structure too of course but there are still some cuts and holes that wouldn’t hold many fish at all this year - at least not consistently

 

I think someone posted this on here last year but below was from an article describing an interview on the late night show with John Oliver. You can google “red bank river nuclear waste” and it’s the first website if you want to read the whole thing:

 

“...to illustrate just how recklessly nuclear waste has been handled by the U.S. government in the past. He plays a clip of Robert Birsic, a retired sailor, describing the extent of radioactive dumping by the U.S. Navy off of the Jersey shore in the 1940's and 1950's.

"It's funny that the ocean don't glow out there outside of Red Bank, New Jersey, really," Birsic says. "Because we dumped a lot of barrels out there."

Oliver hammers the point home with a timely punchline about a reality show that we're all too familiar with.

"We didn't just dump barrels of radioactive waste in the ocean, we did it off the coast of New Jersey,"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been saying it most of the year, and I'll continue to say it. There were a lot of fish around this year. I suck at fishing, certified bite killer. I caught the bulk of my fish in the spring day and night. After the spring the quality dropped but the fish were around.

My observations, outside of the spring, and the micro bass of the fall, there were not any large bodies of fish that stayed within casting range for extended periods of time. Throughout the entire year fish would pop up at different locations along the entire coast line, and move on. If you weren't at the right beach, at the right time you wouldn't know it. Bait bite at this location today, few days later night plug bite at this location, in between hit up a goto spot out front pick a fish here or there, when that dries up go to a honey hole for a few rats. There were times where only any outgoing tide would produce fish in a river, other times the same river might of only produced at incoming. I experienced similar in Raritan Bay and Out Front. Personally I fish anywhere from bergen county to IBSP. 

I was fortunate enough to also add to the list of folks I've met on the sand this year. Oh one more thing, towards the end of the year I had a long running skunk, but during that time nearly every outing I saw fish being caught, or encountered feeding fish. Go figure.

 

~disclaimer~ this has nothing to do with biomass, the state of fishing etc. Just how my year went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I'm thinking it may be more than just the destruction of habitat

The last times they did replenishment, in the mid '90s, it was bad, but nothing like this

Do they test the dredged sand for contaminants ??

While I don't know for sure, I doubt they test sand for contaminants because if they found any then:

      1) the ACOE would be idle

      2) million dollar homes (think donors) might be at risk

      3) favored government contractors (think donors again) would lose business

      4) tax dollars might actually be spent for the benefit of all taxpayers, not just the privileged.

 

Sudsy, I fished NY harbor in the 60's and 70's when it was a "tad" contaminated (PCB's, crude oil, etc.) and we caught (but didn't eat) good amounts of striped bass.

I seriously doubt that possible contaminants in the sand are the cause.

Striped Bass are resilient, strong fish in my opinion ---   how else could they be able to continue spawning in the Hudson River? 

 

My money is on continuous habitat destruction as the primary cause the fish don't come into the surf as much as years past.

 

PS: Same thing happened on Sussex County, Delaware beaches after beach replenishment started there in earnest about 15-20 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Sudsy, I fished NY harbor in the 60's and 70's when it was a "tad" contaminated (PCB's, crude oil, etc.) and we caught (but didn't eat) good amounts of striped bass.

I seriously doubt that possible contaminants in the sand are the cause.

Because they're not just in the sand ??

Google Earth photos are showing clouds of off color water along the beaches north of replenishment sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course another strong possibility is that the 179 days of rain we had in NJ this year, a new record, caused a salinity change or something else along those lines, close to shore

Would definitively explain the lousy fishing in the inlets and rivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Because they're not just in the sand ??

Google Earth photos are showing clouds of off color water along the beaches north of replenishment sites

Could the off color water just be suspended particulate (sand, sediment) matter?

Aren't most chemical contaminants colorless?

 

PS:

I would love for mankind to find the answer to this question and I don't care if my theory is completely wrong and you are 100% correct.

 

I would just love for any future grand kids I may have (and future generations) to enjoy some of the decent surf fishing my son (b. 1985) enjoyed on NY, NJ, DE beaches.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Of course another strong possibility is that the 179 days of rain we had in NJ this year, a new record, caused a salinity change or something else along those lines, close to shore

Would definitively explain the lousy fishing in the inlets and rivers

Sudsy,  while some will call me a cynic and dogmatic on this issue, my money is on the bet that 99% of the reason the surf run is "off" is due to beach replenishment's destruction of habitat, altering of structure and just messing with Mother Nature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt -

but we've been through beach replenishment before, and the fishing, while bad, was never this bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

No doubt -

but we've been through beach replenishment before, and the fishing, while bad, was never this bad

Don't forget we also have a severely depleted biomass now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but why would that keep the larger fish that are still out there and getting caught by the boats, from coming into the beach ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MC55 said:

Wow, didn't think making a few informational posts would ruffle so many feathers.  Here's the thing.  I know if I want to be out there targeting bigger fish it means fishing the night time hours.  That's just not what I do and don't find any enjoyment in it.  Believe me, I know night time is when you will get more quality fish, but for me, it not just about that.  I fish pre-dawn and evenings using light tackle and 99% of the time single hook.  Catch and release everything.  Can't remember when the last time I kept a legal fish.  I take nothing away from those who do harvest a fish or two, I just would rather send them back for someone else to catch.  Walking the sand almost every day since I retired has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of great fisherman and women out there, along with the locals I see all the time.  Great conversations and swapping of fish stories only add to the experience.  So I don't take any offense on any of the comments made.  We all have our own perspectives on things.  I will keep on doing my thing and I hope you all do the same.  Just get out there and do what makes you happy and try sharing it with others.  I'll go back into my cave now.   

Well said  mc. Well said.       :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MC55 said:

Wow, didn't think making a few informational posts would ruffle so many feathers.  Here's the thing.  I know if I want to be out there targeting bigger fish it means fishing the night time hours.  That's just not what I do and don't find any enjoyment in it.  Believe me, I know night time is when you will get more quality fish, but for me, it not just about that.  I fish pre-dawn and evenings using light tackle and 99% of the time single hook.  Catch and release everything.  Can't remember when the last time I kept a legal fish.  I take nothing away from those who do harvest a fish or two, I just would rather send them back for someone else to catch.  Walking the sand almost every day since I retired has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of great fisherman and women out there, along with the locals I see all the time.  Great conversations and swapping of fish stories only add to the experience.  So I don't take any offense on any of the comments made.  We all have our own perspectives on things.  I will keep on doing my thing and I hope you all do the same.  Just get out there and do what makes you happy and try sharing it with others.  I'll go back into my cave now.   

Hey MC  your style of catching is just about what I do , early am & lighter tackle ( getting older ) C&R . I really enjoy your posts from a far. Keep us informed who don't get the chance to get the days in on the beach . After more than 50 years on the beaches , I'm finding the Trout streams a better fit to my life style. Thanks for sharing   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

True, but why would that keep the larger fish that are still out there and getting caught by the boats, from coming into the beach ?

The answer might be the absence of the food chain along the beach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, why was fishing after this replenishment so much worse that the previous replenishments ?

Everything was buried then too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.