RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

228 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MC55 said:

Have to say it was a banner year for numbers of fish.  Ended 2018 with 761.

Always enjoyed our daily post. Thanks & congratulations for your good year. 

5 hours ago, cartopper said:

That’s great, but not very nice to belittle someone because they caught a decent number of fish that were on the smaller size.

I’m sure FBN is a rockstar among striper fisherman.  Catching less than 10 stripers for the year with at least 7 over 20 lbs is impressive. 

TBH, I don't think he was belittling MC. MC can probably out fish anyone on here on an open beach, but unfortunately I the trend as of late is small bass on the beach. It just depends on where and how you fish. I didn't put much time in this year, and out of maybe 30 nj bass only 2 were short, and the rest were all 15-25# fish. But I'm only averaging 2-3 fish a night and specifically targeting larger fish. Ironically, the one night I fished out of state I caught some where around 20 bass and only a couple were keepers.

5 hours ago, cartopper said:

That’s great, but not very nice to belittle someone because they caught a decent number of fish that were on the smaller size.

Looking back I can see how that came off that way

That's the problem with reading stuff off a computer screen, I'm sure Andrew didn't mean it like that

If he did I'll kick him hard in the shins

6 hours ago, IsmailG said:

TBH, I don't think he was belittling MC. MC can probably out fish anyone on here on an open beach, but unfortunately I the trend as of late is small bass on the beach. It just depends on where and how you fish. I didn't put much time in this year, and out of maybe 30 nj bass only 2 were short, and the rest were all 15-25# fish. But I'm only averaging 2-3 fish a night and specifically targeting larger fish. Ironically, the one night I fished out of state I caught some where around 20 bass and only a couple were keepers.

6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Looking back I can see how that came off that way

That's the problem with reading stuff off a computer screen, I'm sure Andrew didn't mean it like that

If he did I'll kick him hard in the shins

Fair enough . . . You guys seem to know him . . . Sudsy I would still kick him in the shins just to be sure lol

I don't care what anyone catches. It was just an observation which goes to show you a huge chunk of fish are missing.  I wouldn't say MC55 had a banner year, though.  He's just getting good at how he fishes and highlighting how miserable this fishing is.

Wow, didn't think making a few informational posts would ruffle so many feathers.  Here's the thing.  I know if I want to be out there targeting bigger fish it means fishing the night time hours.  That's just not what I do and don't find any enjoyment in it.  Believe me, I know night time is when you will get more quality fish, but for me, it not just about that.  I fish pre-dawn and evenings using light tackle and 99% of the time single hook.  Catch and release everything.  Can't remember when the last time I kept a legal fish.  I take nothing away from those who do harvest a fish or two, I just would rather send them back for someone else to catch.  Walking the sand almost every day since I retired has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of great fisherman and women out there, along with the locals I see all the time.  Great conversations and swapping of fish stories only add to the experience.  So I don't take any offense on any of the comments made.  We all have our own perspectives on things.  I will keep on doing my thing and I hope you all do the same.  Just get out there and do what makes you happy and try sharing it with others.  I'll go back into my cave now.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think a whole lot of stuff got taken out of context

No one said anything negative about anyone, the state of the fishery and the lack of larger fish on the beaches was the point.

And a very legitimate point ! Seriously, where the hell were the teens and twenties, much less at least the occasional 30 and 40 ??? I thought the season before was terrible, it was good compared to the season we just had. My highlight of the year from the ground was a lousy 14#er - my worst season since the moratorium years

Boats caught em good - why didn't they come to the beach at all for the past two years ? Are they pumping something so toxic onto our beaches that it's keeping the fish away ? The majority of the mullet ran straight offshore, the fall peanut run ran straight offshore, the main body of the spring and fall bunker runs stayed offshore. 

According to a charter capt friend of mine (Capt Eric) he'd be on bass busting bunker heading towards the beach and virtually every single time, they'd hit the 1/4 mile mark and turn around back offshore.

Something is wrong

Which is the point FBN was trying to make (rather poorly)

Edited by Sudsy

Mc55 congrats on a great season.  I never would have imagined  a person catching that many fish from the surf. You are making me second guess dragging a kayak to the water to fish. I find your reports very interesting and educational. I hope I bump into you out there some day. I think I will be waiting until the spring to head back out. Likely April.

I'm with Sudsy....long gone are 20-fish nights on the surf, most of them keepers up to the mid-20s.    The beach replenishment that destroyed our productive night beach spots and the covering up of most of the jetties made it not worth my time to ply the skinny water much anymore.   

While it's fun to catch lots of small fish, it gets old quickly.  Plus I have a big fish mentality.   Once you have hooked up to a big big bass as I did years and years ago, it's like a high where nothing else matters.  So I'm always looking for that next big bass.   Going out on a yak at night for teen to 20s bass at least satisfies that itch a bit.   

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Wow, didn't think making a few informational posts would ruffle so many feathers.  Here's the thing.  I know if I want to be out there targeting bigger fish it means fishing the night time hours.  That's just not what I do and don't find any enjoyment in it.  Believe me, I know night time is when you will get more quality fish, but for me, it not just about that.  I fish pre-dawn and evenings using light tackle and 99% of the time single hook.  Catch and release everything.  Can't remember when the last time I kept a legal fish.  I take nothing away from those who do harvest a fish or two, I just would rather send them back for someone else to catch.  Walking the sand almost every day since I retired has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of great fisherman and women out there, along with the locals I see all the time.  Great conversations and swapping of fish stories only add to the experience.  So I don't take any offense on any of the comments made.  We all have our own perspectives on things.  I will keep on doing my thing and I hope you all do the same.  Just get out there and do what makes you happy and try sharing it with others.  I'll go back into my cave now.   

I actually respect this.  

My favorite way to target bass is from the sand at night. not because it's my best chance at size and numbers, it's just because i like walking the sand and reading the water. 

i also love fishing the rivers jetties and possibly a bridge or two at night but if given the chance i always plan the sand first. 

i think for new people just getting in to it they see the numbers of fish that you catch and respect you for commitment to fish just about everyday of the season. you keep a positive attitude and spread good cheer through the community. hurrah. 

i look at your posts and the amount of time and effort you put in and shake my head because 20 years ago doing exactly what you are doing now with the same effort and similar tackle etc your results would be very different than what they are now.  

new guys don't know this so your posts and reports/success become a standard. not your fault really just how it plays out. 

My standard of good surf fishing is very different from someone who has just entered the sport in the last 10 years. 

I knew exactly what FBN was trying to say and it wasn't meant to ruffle feathers and to my knowledge we have never met. but i know he has been fishing a long time ad fished with guys that fished through some great times. 

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I think a whole lot of stuff got taken out of context

No one said anything negative about anyone, the state of the fishery and the lack of larger fish on the beaches was the point.

And a very legitimate point ! Seriously, where the hell were the teens and twenties, much less at least the occasional 30 and 40 ??? I thought the season before was terrible, it was good compared to the season we just had. My highlight of the year from the ground was a lousy 14#er - my worst season since the moratorium years

Boats caught em good - why didn't they come to the beach at all for the past two years ? Are they pumping something so toxic onto our beaches that it's keeping the fish away ? The majority of the mullet ran straight offshore, the fall peanut run ran straight offshore, the main body of the spring and fall bunker runs stayed offshore. 

According to a charter capt friend of mine (Capt Eric) he'd be on bass busting bunker heading towards the beach and virtually every single time, they'd hit the 1/4 mile mark and turn around back offshore.

Something is wrong

Which is the point FBN was trying to make (rather poorly)

We all know what is wrong ----  beach replenishment destroys habitat which alters migration patterns.

Until that stops (which I doubt for various reasons) the fishing will remain as it has over recent years.

I'm just hoping that the winter storms make some new holes without stripping the loose crap off the beach this year. Structure was scarce and the number of fish were down last spring. 

2 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

We all know what is wrong ----  beach replenishment destroys habitat which alters migration patterns.

Until that stops (which I doubt for various reasons) the fishing will remain as it has over recent years.

I'm thinking it may be more than just the destruction of habitat

The last times they did replenishment, in the mid '90s, it was bad, but nothing like this

Do they test the dredged sand for contaminants ??

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I'm thinking it may be more than just the destruction of habitat

The last times they did replenishment, in the mid '90s, it was bad, but nothing like this

Do they test the dredged sand for contaminants ??

Contaminants in the dredged sand is a whole angle I never really thought of.  Makes sense in a way. They used to treat the ocean as a toilet for all sorts of waste (including radioactive). Its possible that could have been dredged up and pumped onshore. We probably dont even know the half of it. I also think theres more to it then the destruction of habitat due to beach replenishment. 

But heres what I dont get...there seems to be plenty of life in the water. The guys that snorkel and spearfish will tell you that. All summer and early fall the places where I fish were choked with the small rainbait. Its hard to imagine all that life thriving in water that is presumably toxic. 

Im no expert but I think this can all be explained by changing ocean currents and overfishing of breeder bass.

Edited by adams54

6 hours ago, MC55 said:

You do it for the right reasons. And I too respect you for your way of going about it. 

4 hours ago, BrianZ said:

My standard of good surf fishing is very different from someone who has just entered the sport in the last 10 years. 

:th: