RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

228 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MC55 said:

It's time.  Went out this morning and got the 3rd skunk in a row.  Beautiful water, but the food source has left.  Few birds looking around, but they are not finding anything.  Weather is turning colder so it's time to hang it up till April.  Have to say 2018 was a productive year for me, catching more than double from 2017.  Interesting non-scientific fact. Went back through my logs for the last 7 years to see what the ratio was for keeper size fish to total catch.  2018 was just about 3%, with the average over the 7 years being 4.5%.  What does it mean?  Who knows.  Time to clean the gear and move to hibernation mode.  Off to the shop to work on some new soft plastics for the coming season.

OK, now it's OFFICIALLY over! :hi5:

5 hours ago, MC55 said:

It's time.  Went out this morning and got the 3rd skunk in a row.  Beautiful water, but the food source has left.  Few birds looking around, but they are not finding anything.  Weather is turning colder so it's time to hang it up till April.  Have to say 2018 was a productive year for me, catching more than double from 2017.  Interesting non-scientific fact. Went back through my logs for the last 7 years to see what the ratio was for keeper size fish to total catch.  2018 was just about 3%, with the average over the 7 years being 4.5%.  What does it mean?  Who knows.  Time to clean the gear and move to hibernation mode.  Off to the shop to work on some new soft plastics for the coming season.

Alright so its officially over. Would like to say thanks for all the effort you put into your reports. IMO you are the MVP on SOL. I would also like to add that I have met a few of the guys here in 2018 and it was a great pleasure to have done so. Would like everyone to stay healthy! I will see you out there in 2019!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Walking the Hook with rod in hand no sign of life other than gulls dropping moon snails on my hood! Lunch is served. Saw a bald eagle flying and it was huge! I've seen them at a distance but this was tree top level.... they're fish eaters so bunker or herring? And blue herons are still around along with hawks? Cleaning gear now.

Edited by saltyh2ofly
Spelling

My last trip out was on Jan 6, looks like it may well be my last until the spring run in March.  One thing that was interesting was that a conversation officer came up to see me as I was walking to my car.    

That was the first time that I have ever seen a conservation officer at this particular spot.   He asked me if I caught anything and I told him that I didn't even get a bite.   Then he asked me if I renewed my NJ Saltwater Registry.   I told him that I had not yet renewed my NJ Saltwater Registry and he was very nice about it and just told me to renew my NJ Saltwater Registry when I get home.   

Lets all try to remember to renew our NJ Saltwater Registry...     

20 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

Nice fishing season @MC55. You probably got 400 more than me. 

Have to say it was a banner year for numbers of fish.  Ended 2018 with 761.

15 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I probably caught less than 10  but i'd bet  they all still weighed more than your 761.

Okay, if his fish averaged 4lbs that would mean you averaged about 306 lbs per fish . . . that is impressive!!!  :theman:

6 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

4 lbs is generous of you. 

Okay  . . . . 1 lb, that would be very under.  Your average would be 76 lbs per fish . . . still very impressive.

3 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I probably caught less than 10  but i'd bet  they all still weighed more than your 761.

Cool story bro. Tell us one more.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

Have to say it was a banner year for numbers of fish.  Ended 2018 with 761.

Ok maybe 700 more than me lol. 

Edited by FunkyBunker

27 mins ago, adams54 said:

Cool story bro. Tell us one more.

I'll vouch for the 42#er he caught - from the ground

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I'll vouch for the 42#er he caught - from the ground

1 hour ago, IsmailG said:

As will I,  and the other half a dozen 20-30#ers. 

That’s great, but not very nice to belittle someone because they caught a decent number of fish that were on the smaller size.

I’m sure FBN is a rockstar among striper fisherman.  Catching less than 10 stripers for the year with at least 7 over 20 lbs is impressive.