RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

156 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, trade off said:

Amazing find - Red Sea glass!! Congratulations... I normally get white and brown with the occasional green or blue being the rare one... never would have thought red...

My moneys on the broken red tail light or reflector theory. Not much red glass out there.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, saltyh2ofly said:

And, the rarest piece of sea glass I've ever found....red! Never in 70 years of walking the beaches on NJ have I found red sea glass.

5c3378e9a414e_SeaGlassraritychart.jpg.d3b674cffdfe067cde40aa9254c36eb3.jpg

Yup, pretty soon guys will be talking about sea glass slams and accused of over-fishing. Glass C & R will be instituted. :laugh:

Late report from yesterday..   MoCo  8:00 AM to 11:00 PM    Gave it a shot yesterday. The water was nice and clean.  There was some bird activity, but they were just hovering mostly and then they would just land in the water and sit there.  There were Scoter ducks and some other similar brown and white birds diving for bait.  I saw one having trouble choking down some kind of larger bait fish.   Looked bigger than sand eels.  So there is bait around, but I was not able to get anything to bite.   There were a few other guys out, that switched to soaking clams, but they did not have any luck either....     

Might try to get out again if conditions look good ...   Its getting to be about that time 

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

5c3378e9a414e_SeaGlassraritychart.jpg.d3b674cffdfe067cde40aa9254c36eb3.jpg

I used to find a good amount of blue in Deal before they covered it up with sand.. Deal was sea glass Mecca.. also was a great place to find sharks teeth...

Back to the skunk this morning.  Flat, clean, clear water with little to no signs of life.  First morning in awhile I haven't seen the birds picking sand eels, which was a disappointment.  If the food source is on the move out then the end might be near.  Wind shifting to the SSE which is not great, but should get rid of the flat water.  Will give it another go in the morning.

Seeing the sea glass posted here reminded me of something. I found a Belmar beach badge from the 50's a few years back. It washed up in Normandy Beach. Do you think anyone would buy it? Not in the greatest condition but you can read it.

Another day another skunk.  Great looking water with enough wave action that should have produced some activity.  Another morning with no birds picking again too.  Looking more and more like the sand eels may have moved out which means the end may be near.  Will give it one more shot in the morning since the forecast is not calling for the cold to return until Thursday.  Plan to try a little further south tomorrow.

27 mins ago, Sudsy said:

No sign of herring ?

Unless something has changed in the last 3 days Im not finding any at a few of the areas you would normally find them.

It's time.  Went out this morning and got the 3rd skunk in a row.  Beautiful water, but the food source has left.  Few birds looking around, but they are not finding anything.  Weather is turning colder so it's time to hang it up till April.  Have to say 2018 was a productive year for me, catching more than double from 2017.  Interesting non-scientific fact. Went back through my logs for the last 7 years to see what the ratio was for keeper size fish to total catch.  2018 was just about 3%, with the average over the 7 years being 4.5%.  What does it mean?  Who knows.  Time to clean the gear and move to hibernation mode.  Off to the shop to work on some new soft plastics for the coming season.

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

It's time.  Went out this morning and got the 3rd skunk in a row.  Beautiful water, but the food source has left.  Few birds looking around, but they are not finding anything.  Weather is turning colder so it's time to hang it up till April.  Have to say 2018 was a productive year for me, catching more than double from 2017.  Interesting non-scientific fact. Went back through my logs for the last 7 years to see what the ratio was for keeper size fish to total catch.  2018 was just about 3%, with the average over the 7 years being 4.5%.  What does it mean?  Who knows.  Time to clean the gear and move to hibernation mode.  Off to the shop to work on some new soft plastics for the coming season.

3 percent sounds pitiful. Sounds like back bay fluke fishing