RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

228 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, blind squirl said:

Don’t post much anymore but I’ll give a report today. Fished from 530-900 this morning. Had a few hits right away. But didn’t hook up till about 620 or so. As I walked I picked at fish. As I was about to turn around and start walking back I spotted three loons tight to the beach. So I took a walk over and had fish or hits on just about every cast for about 30 min. All fish caught on the vision sand eel. ( green back) Nothing big. Largest around 23”. If I had to guess I had somewhere around 15 fish. Not bad for January 2nd. 

Nice post. FYI, on my last few trips I found that the loons were my key to success. Find the loon and find the bait which in turn may equal fish.

Loons were definitely on peanuts and not sand eels.

No love out there this morning.  Clean clear water and birds picking sand eels, but couldn't get a hit.  Heard about three fish caught in the area and that was it.  As long as the bait is around and the weather is reasonable will keep on keeping.

2 hours ago, MC55 said:

No love out there this morning.  Clean clear water and birds picking sand eels, but couldn't get a hit.  Heard about three fish caught in the area and that was it.  As long as the bait is around and the weather is reasonable will keep on keeping.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

My season is officially coming to an end. Back surgery on Monday. Hopefully back in action for spring run.

fished 10:30 - 3:30 OC...........not a bump,not a fish.......threw white shads, Tsunami sand eel, Deadly Dick and green tailed Avas........only thing working was a seal the last half hour.....not ready to give up yet.........catching is nice but fishing is still fun as long as the weather stays mild....

Out front 545-830. Flat calm conditions. Gin clear water. Lots of birds around feeding on bait in the water. Bait must be thick. Assuming they were sandeels. Moved around a little. Nothing biting. Saw one other guy..no luck on his end either.

Frosty morning with a calm wind and clean clear water.  Number of guys out there wetting a line is starting to thin.  Birds again were picking eels right after sun up and kept seeing small breaks in the wash line.  Guess they might have been peanuts.  Did get one little guy on the teaser, but not another bump.  NE wind and rain forecast from the morning.  Hope it wakes up a few more fish.

Had the makings of another epic morning with a fishable NE wind and clean green rolling water.  And it looked liked it was going to be, when I had two double headers within 15 minutes after I started.  From feast to famine when that fast start was all she wrote.  Guess I should have been there sooner cause the fish were caught in the dark right before first light.  Didn't get another touch all morning.  Birds continue to pick out the sand eels and even later in the morning, gannets showed up and were diving a bit off shore.  Food is still there, so guess the stripes are sticking around a bit longer.

DSCF2591.JPG

WTG Mike,

If you were out in that slop this morning you have earned yourself some extra credit points. And catching fish to boot!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nothing at the Hook for me Wednesday and Friday. No bait sceen though the black scooters and friends were diving out front. Scored a couple like new paddle tails for my evil spinning buds. And, the rarest piece of sea glass I've ever found....red! Never in 70 years of walking the beaches on NJ have I found red sea glass.

Congrats to Mike for starting us all off on a positive note.

20190102_150802.jpg

Edited by saltyh2ofly
Adjust article

33 mins ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Nothing at the Hook for me Wednesday and Friday. No bait sceen though the black scooters and friends were diving out front. Scored a couple like new paddle tails for my evil spinning buds. And, the rarest piece of sea glass I've ever found....red! Never in 70 years of walking the beaches on NJ have I found red sea glass.

20190102_150802.jpg

Salty,

Check the red closely because it usually turns out to be a piece of plastic tail light. I have found red though and blue is always a good find too.

By the way, the two shads are mind. They were lost on Island Beach and our south to north current evidently too them to the hook. I'll PM my mailing address.

9 hours ago, MC55 said:

Had the makings of another epic morning with a fishable NE wind and clean green rolling water.  And it looked liked it was going to be, when I had two double headers within 15 minutes after I started.  From feast to famine when that fast start was all she wrote.  Guess I should have been there sooner cause the fish were caught in the dark right before first light.  Didn't get another touch all morning.  Birds continue to pick out the sand eels and even later in the morning, gannets showed up and were diving a bit off shore.  Food is still there, so guess the stripes are sticking around a bit longer.

DSCF2591.JPG

Ah, there's the problem! You were fine catching night stripers, but you forgot to target day stripers once the sun came up. Rookie mistake! I'm surprised.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, saltyh2ofly said:

20190102_150802.jpg

Amazing find - Red Sea glass!! Congratulations... I normally get white and brown with the occasional green or blue being the rare one... never would have thought red...