RebelMusicNP

January 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

The bays, rivers, and inlets are closed. You know perch aren’t going to hit a mag darter so don’t start. Get your saltwater registry. 

Post only the county you caught fish from and share any info and photos that will help others and not give that away. 

Happy New Year everyone!

5 mins ago, Sleepis4Dead said:

In only fish Catch and release and I have my 2019 registry.  Can I still fish the surf?

Surf is open all year,  It is only bays and rivers that are closed until March 1 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do they close for stripers or for everything? Can't think of what you'd even attempt to catch out of a bay in January anyway I guess.

Edited by Pad_Crasher

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, Pad_Crasher said:

Do they close for stripers or for everything? Can't think of what you'd even attempt to catch out of a bay in January anyway I guess.

it is only closed for stripers but there is not much else to catch unless you can find some winter flounder or perch

Edited by fd4mcola

Annual ocean jump in sea bright this morning. Thankful for mid 50s but west wind and 46 deg water will wake you up.

chocolate milk where I was and didn’t see any fish while I was under.  Happy New Years Gents, hope we all have a great spring start this year 

That SE wind last night turned clean and green to dirty and rocking.  Didn't get a touch this morning and didn't see anyone else do any better.  Here's hoping it cleans up by morning.

It was nice, lots of people on the beach, and even though I called it for the season I still went out and gave it a try.  Threw a bunch of different options and not a bit.  On a side note, first cast on a brand new SPRO buck I noticed one of the eyes had already fallen off.  nice quality there.

Fished the incoming and slack with not a bump or any real sign of life.  As MC said above, the water was murky, brown, and gross.  

Happy New Year!

Hit OC yesterday from 6am-10am, not a touch. Large flock working about a mile out. Solid hour of diving. Lots of guys out and no bent rods. Hanging it up until the spring. Be happy and safe.

Water cleaned up rather quickly with it back to clean and green this morning.  Did see a few signs of bait around, but not a lot of activity after it.  Did get my first 2019 fish along with a few other bumps, but all in all a very quiet morning.  Saw only one other fish reeled in.  Birds were again picking at times, so kinda confirmed there was some food around.  Will keep at it until it completely goes quiet, which could be any day now.

Don’t post much anymore but I’ll give a report today. Fished from 530-900 this morning. Had a few hits right away. But didn’t hook up till about 620 or so. As I walked I picked at fish. As I was about to turn around and start walking back I spotted three loons tight to the beach. So I took a walk over and had fish or hits on just about every cast for about 30 min. All fish caught on the vision sand eel. ( green back) Nothing big. Largest around 23”. If I had to guess I had somewhere around 15 fish. Not bad for January 2nd. 

57 mins ago, blind squirl said:

Don’t post much anymore but I’ll give a report today. Fished from 530-900 this morning. Had a few hits right away. But didn’t hook up till about 620 or so. As I walked I picked at fish. As I was about to turn around and start walking back I spotted three loons tight to the beach. So I took a walk over and had fish or hits on just about every cast for about 30 min. All fish caught on the vision sand eel. ( green back) Nothing big. Largest around 23”. If I had to guess I had somewhere around 15 fish. Not bad for January 2nd. 

Fortunately you didn't have that albatross, Fishless, with you!