Plug and teaser

2019 Massachusetts Random Image Thread

Rate this topic

263 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Plug and teaser said:

Common Redpoll , be heading North soon.

5c6a14e3e4d60_CommonRedpoll.jpg.f5184bd7273dfadf3878702eabd1dfc8.jpg

Had a yard full of those guys when I lived in the Maine Mountains.They'd chow down big time in the mornings.Standing on the deck with hulled sunflower seeds they would land on my shoulders,head and arms.I'd go out at the same time and bang on the railing and get mobbed from all directions.

10 hours ago, theshadow said:

Had a yard full of those guys when I lived in the Maine Mountains.They'd chow down big time in the mornings.Standing on the deck with hulled sunflower seeds they would land on my shoulders,head and arms.I'd go out at the same time and bang on the railing and get mobbed from all directions.

:laugh:.... cool little guys.

Nothing like that here, we only get one or three every few years.

I wish I could say that I found this, but I didn't.  My daughter's friend found it, tumbling in the surf on one of the Cape's islands.  This Native American ancient harpoon head is about 7.5" long and is made of bone or antler.  It's in remarkable condition, and must have just eroded out a shell midden, which preserved it.  It's the find of a lifetime.

bone harpoon c.jpg - 1.jpg

21 mins ago, Deep Hole said:

That is some find. It's in great shape as well.

Yeah.  So rare for bone to survive here in our NE acidic soils.  The only way ancient bone is preserved is if it is buried in an old dump of shucked clam shells, called a shell midden.  The calcium from the shells preserves the bone.  Also if buried in oxegen-free mud.  This harpoon must have fairly recently been eroded out of a midden.

20 hours ago, clambellies said:

I wish I could say that I found this, but I didn't.  My daughter's friend found it, tumbling in the surf on one of the Cape's islands.  This Native American ancient harpoon head is about 7.5" long and is made of bone or antler.  It's in remarkable condition, and must have just eroded out a shell midden, which preserved it.  It's the find of a lifetime.

In fishing terms, that find = 60 pound striper, on a plug, from shore.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, clambellies said:

That is awesome!

Any guesstimate how old?

Hard to say.  They were used for a very long time and aren't diagnostic of any one culture in the Northeast.  Could be as old as 7,000 years old, right up to when the Europeans arrived.