Plug and teaser

2019 Massachusetts Random Image Thread

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK, this one has got me stumped.  Upstate NY feeder.  I was thinking some kind of young blackbird (rusty? grackle?), but I can't find pictures of any with an orange bill. 

image(1).jpg

Edited by buz23

3 hours ago, buz23 said:

OK, this one has got me stumped.  Upstate NY feeder.  I was thinking some kind of young blackbird (rusty? grackle?), but I can't find pictures of any with an orange bill. 

image(1).jpg

need plug and teaser for this one. i m stumped too. 

5 hours ago, buz23 said:

image(1).jpg

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

need plug and teaser for this one. i m stumped too. 

I'd say young Common Grackle.

Light does strange things to bird colors, the beak color is likely just a odd reflection along with not fully developed.

Beak shape and eye color are spot on for Grackle I think.

I'm only right about 1/2 the time :laugh: .....so I'll summon rocco, the true SOL expert to take a look for the last word.

He will stop by in due time I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

Light does strange things to bird colors, the beak color is likely just a odd reflection along with not fully developed.

I'm only right about 1/2 the time :laugh: .....so I'll summon rocco, the true SOL expert to take a look for the last word.

Ditto. ^^^^.   Grackle.   Iridescence in the plumage playing with the light and angles gives a different look.  The color in the bill is the same shade as the reflection on the feeders edge giving the impression of orange ...   my two pennies...

22 hours ago, buz23 said:

image(1).jpg

any other pics of this bird? a couple things come to mind.

16 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

i'm traveling in europe at the moment, without being surrounded by field guides from around the world right now, unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Tfole said:

Ditto. ^^^^.   Grackle.   Iridescence in the plumage playing with the light and angles gives a different look.  The color in the bill is the same shade as the reflection on the feeders edge giving the impression of orange ...   my two pennies...

this seems to be the best and most likely explanation, but it would be good to see some other photos from other angles. there are some old world starlings and maybe some mynas that might look similiar, if the color isn't an artifact on the photo. if the color is true, it could also just be an abnormal color morph for common grackle.

fits with common grackle being on a feeder. some of the other markings don't though. i've not seen orange bill on a common grackle before. juvenile common grackles don't have yellow eyes though, but this could be an immature morphing into adult, which might have a yellow eye. not sure about molt patterns on immatures either, so that would be good to look at when i get back to work in about 10 days.

interesting bird for sure!

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

That ain't no grackle! 

:laugh:

Looks like the velvet is drying up, he's already breaking off pines as big as my wrist.

He's set up in one of our favorite areas, it's a little unnerving to hear him thrashing around when he knows were there.