Capt.Castafly

Who got you started in Fly Fishing /Tying?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I was never formally introduced to fly fishing by anyone, it was my father who passively made it happen. I was introduced to fishing by him with conventional tackle, long ago. My oldest memory is of me and him on his boat he fished for salmon with on the great lakes; the Nautique. I was obsessed with fishing as a kid, and loved to look through dad's expansive collection of tackle, mostly trolling rods and some spinning rods for salmon and steelhead. But in there was one rod different from all the rest, it looked like the grip was backwards, with a long foregrip and short rear grip. It was an ugly stick big game fly rod, a 10wt.

As I looked further through his tackle I found flies and fly lines, and from there my curiosity spelled my spiraling descent into the world of fly fishing. I would conventional fish for a long time after that, but fly fishing always allured me and captivated me, but I didn't get to doing it really seriously because of the difficulty of it. I had no teacher and no friends who fly fished. I only just got fully invested and serious with it the beginning of last year, and ever since it's been fly only for me. 

Dad never taught me a whole lot with fly fishing, he didn't know too much himself. But he always encouraged my curiosity and helped me however he could.

My father and my uncle put a fly rod in my hands when I was seven. That was 1972. I remember them debating the presidential election. It was always the three of us and my view from the backseat was a unique perspective. No radio on ever and they talked with each other the whole time, solving all the worlds problems. Every now and again I was asked to chime in when I could contribute. I am very grateful for those times and think of them often.

Anyway, they fished flyrods for trout exclusively even as boys- they said they were less expensive and wore readily available. However, they rarely fished flies other than attractor drys when fish were rising. Their weapon of choice almost exclusively early in the spring was a Little Joe gold spinner with a worm on the hook. What they would do is high stick dead drift the worm then swing the spinner at the end of the drift. They caught a lot of fish and I caught some too. I didn’t realize it at the time     but I was developing nymphing and streamer skills that I still use today.

I am extremely grateful to my dad and uncle for instilling the love of fishing in me at a young age. It has been my true recreational passion for nearly fifty years now. I remember my uncle saying to me at around age 13- “ your dad likes to fish and enjoys these trips, but your more like me- you have the ‘sickness’”. I immediately knew what he meant and knew he was right. My uncle passed on in 95 and my dad is in his 80’s and doesn’t fish anymore, but the “sickness” they instilled in me lives on. I could fish all day everyday. Thanks for the therapy.

My lifelong fishing mentor, and uncle, John Posh who used to own Stratford Bait in CT years ago taught me how to fly fish. 

He also had Eric Leiser teach a kids fly tying class in the shop one day. The first fly we tied was a Mickey Fin. 

Lou Tabory was close friends with my uncle back the.  He too would give lessons at the shop once in a while which I participated in. Lou never ceased to amaze me. He would pick up a rod a lay out a whole line with one false cast. It mesmerized me. I am very grateful to have been raised around so many Greats. 

A close friend died accidentally ice climbing we were all in our 30's this was the first really shocking death I guess, I knew for a while I wanted to fly fish, so I started a month or two after figuring if I never start I never will.  So glad I did.

For me it would be a toss-up between Mike Corblise and Bobby Popovics.  Mike used to buy custom rods from me (mostly 61/2 to 8ft spinning) because there were days when his Fly Charters could not overcome the wind.  I bought my first real SW Fly rods from him (Redington Stu Apte Backwaters in 7 and 9wt) and he taught me to cast.  Shortly before the untimely death of Butch Colvin, Mike was trying to talk me into making custom fly rods for him, but it never materialized, as he got out of it completely after Butch's funeral.

Bobby was my first inspiration for going beyond the standard Deciever, Clouser and Brook's Blondes that I started tying as teasers for conventional fishing. I remember him showing me the Hollow Fly technique at his bench in Somerset when he had first developed it.  The next year I met Kenny A., and have been hooked on Flatwings ever since.

Edited by FlatWing