Capt.Castafly

Who got you started in Fly Fishing /Tying?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

My Mom and her beau went to Labrador and Newfoundland in the late 50s. They went fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon and native Brook Trout. I still have the flys they bought at Abercrombie and Finch. Then I saw Lee Wolf on Wide World of Sports. Bought a Shakespeare fly rod and Medalist reel (STILL HAVE IT) had the shop load up line bought a few hare's ear, some bivisibles and McGinty. 1969 Uncle Sam called and while in the service I bought a Model A vise, Reed Tackle bobbins (STILL HAVE) and materials. I had fly patterns from General Motors/Chevrolet that were named after the current models. Found an article by Joe Brooks on the Blonde series of flies for saltwater so that was it.

I got into flyfishing on my own.  At the time I didn’t know anyone that fished using flys.  I then took a fly tying class at a local adult school.  I am forever greatful for the patience of the instructor.  

About twenty years ago my wife’s cousin asked if I could show him a few things, and I created a monster.  He got so engrossed in the sport that it was almost scared.  Unfortunately he is no longer with us, but every once in awhile I set adrift a fly of his on a river that he would have loved to fish.  Here’s to you Robert.

this character, no I aint the kid in the background, but this pic illustrates his willingness to teach anybody, anything he knows about fly tying for as long as they will listen, then again he was a teacher by trade

ted_patlen.jpg

I first started tying in 1966, having gotten interested from reading magazine articles in publications such as Field & Stream, and Outdoor Life. In particular articles by Joe Brooks grew my interest. My father, who was not a fly fisher, bought me my first fly rod outfit, a Cortland 8 wt, about a year later and I've kept with it ever since. 

15 hours ago, ferret said:

this character, no I aint the kid in the background, but this pic illustrates his willingness to teach anybody, anything he knows about fly tying for as long as they will listen, then again he was a teacher by trade

ted_patlen.jpg

A good friend and I went fishing on a local stocked Pennsylvania creek in a place called Buck Hill. This with our usual mild hangover after a laugh filled dinner. I was basically dangling a nymph with his original SA introductory kit rod and reel into pocket behind a big rock. One hookup was all it took. We did many sessions in that little creek. My friend, Charlie, passed away two years ago. I will always remember him for the introduction to something I really enjoy. 

After he passed away his wife gave me his Winston " Home Waters" 8'10" 5 wt and his older generation Lamson Guru. I was stunned. I use it often and have caught about half of my largest trout on it. I think Charlie would love that.

I was introduced to fly fishing at the age of 12  by my older brother Bill who was introduced to it by his close, now lifelong friend, Blaise.  I made a post about this a few weeks back on a similar thread.  My brother soon became interested in tying his own flies, and of course I followed him.  Blaise, who may be the most gifted fly fishermen I've ever known, has never tied a fly or shown any interest in tying.  My Dad supported my brother's and my interest in fly fishing & fly tying, and he bought us the equipment we needed.  He also enrolled us in a fly tying class with the Sierra Pacific Fly Fishers in SOCAL.  That instruction was my foundation in fly tying where I was able to learn the fundamentals from some true experts.  I still remember the main instructor, Jordan Lagman.  He was extraordinarily generous and patient.  Wonderful guy.  I eventually became a competent, though not particularly talented or elegant tier.  Of course I went through phases where I was determined to tie every single fly in the Orvis and Umpqua catalogues.  Some of them were quite bad.  The next big influence was in my adulthood.  My Marine Corps career brought me to the Naval War College in Newport RI in 2001-2002.  I became acquainted with the guys at Saltwater Edge, then in downtown Newport, and I "enrolled" in the evening fly tying classes taught by Ken Abrames that winter.  The class was free, except I probably spent about $1,000.00 on bucktails and those exquisite saddle necks that Ken used to market.  One of my classmates was Lyle Robertson who is a very gifted fisherman and tier, all around great friend and originator of the "East Coast Ghost" flatwing that has received some ink on this board in the past. Ken had a profound positive impact on the way I looked at fly tying and fishing in general. Thanks Jordan.  Thanks Ken. And thanks Lyle.    

I started out shortly after I started fly fishing, got my first kit for Christmas when i was about 15. At this point my dad really wasn't interested in fishing but he loved the tying aspect so much he got his own set. Years later and lots of upgrades he now ties all my flies and is seriously into fishing haha

On 1/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, Northfork said:

Peter Kaminsky's book "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass' got me interested in saltwater flyfishing.But it was Irish Dave Brown of the Northfork of Long Island who showed me that I could catch bass from the shore with the flyrod. Dave is a great flytier who often gifts a stranger he meets on the beach with one of his creations.

He's still going strong at 80 but I'm catching up at 75. Thanks, Dave.

Dave Browne, of the North Fork flyfishers.....one of the best!......and, still going strong:)

Moved to Machias, Maine at age seventeen to attend the university there (1977). Found out the next day that the river 50 yds. from my apartment had Atlantic salmon. Problem was I didn't fly fish or tie. Found a fishermen who lived across the driveway and learned the basics real quick.

Lost the first eight salmon I hooked , due to inexperience, but finally landed a few before that 1st season closed. Great motivation !

For those that know Dave Brown please give him my regards. I  met him years back while walking Truman's. A fine fellow.

Pat B.

My fishing ADD is responsible for getting me into fly fishing. I like to experiment with fishing, this led me to fly fishing (and other styles). 

I mentioned to a friend my intent to start fly fishing and he gave me an old Boy Scout fly tying kit that had a stamped metal vise and a basic fly tying book. I learned a bunch from that little pamphlet. I tied freshwater flies for a couple years but did a bunch of reading about saltwater fly fishing. When I finally made the jump from tying to fishing, it was into saltwater with an 8wt. The rest is history. I still have the kit.

Unfortunately, neither my tying or fishing has matured much since those days.

kit1.jpg

kit2.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

My wife. She insisted I try flyfishing and bought me my first set up. Then bought me a tying bench full of materials from someone who was moving. My ability to break rods pushed me further into it and I now build rods, custom grips and reel seats.

Need to work less and fish more, that is my new years resolution, like many others it most likely will not be achieved.

Edited by albcorb