Capt.Castafly

Who got you started in Fly Fishing /Tying?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

God, I'm a few days away from being 71 but I was just thinking how many years I've been winding thread on a hook?

How many turns of thread?

How many casting strokes I've made in my lifetime.

How many more do I left? (That question to be answered hopefully down the line.)

We all started somewhere? We all found the love.

It was my older cousin Eddy Bogdan that got me started into tying.

He's five years older. That difference made a lot of sense back than when I was 12 and he was 17.

He started tying and one day on a visit I asked him what he was doing?  I gave it a try and I thought my first fly was tremendous.

It was ugly and bushy, no proportions, but I didn't care I was so astatic.

We had a group of five very zealous young fly tiers back than. We'd tie streamside, on the steering wheel, on a box.

A few stoked the passion and went beyond in the industry, to name one, Ray Bondorew.

We all experiment and shared knowledge. There were no pub or clubs at the time, especially salt. We all belonged to UFT and couldn't wait for each months newsletters.

They had great directions each issue on how to tie a fly of the month.

It's funny all of us are still in the passion of fly fishing, except my cousin.  

Edited by Capt.Castafly

My father had me fishing around 5 yrs. old   About 12, 13 i was fly fishing and started tieing flys and building fishing rods with my friend and then he pasted away?   I started fishing with other friends from the surf and boat 

Then about 5 yrs. ago I picked up the fly rod again. My old Wonderrod and Medalist reel.  Then 2HRods  So to this day I fish all ways?   A couple of times a week 

As you get older. (75) , you think how many more times will I be out there?  Scary?  I have 3 sons so the tackle won’t go to waste. They will have plenty.  Your health is the most important thing in life . So in joy it while you can . 

Edited by ccb

I started with an idea that I could do it from a Herter's catalogue. I somewhere purchased one of those universal box kits and started wrapping monsters that had no proportion at all.

I graduated to a Thompson Model A and all three vice jaws.

I still have it and use it needed, especially with the saltwater / bug jaw

I took classes from tiers, bought books and learned how to do it quite well if I must say so myself :hooked:.

My fingers are a bit stiff now, my eyes are in the dim mode and I think that I have enough flies for two lifetimes. I enjoyed tying  for years but it seems to be a chore more than an enjoyment nowadays.

If I figure my total investment in materials and time, the average cost of one fly is around $149.00. I could be off a little either way.

I spent many an enjoyable night at my table and vice and recommend it  highly.

Years ago one of my novice fishing buddies wife said to me that she was happy that her husband got into fly fishing and fly tying and  happy that the little packets of feathers only cost 50 cents each.

I just smiled .

He was a bank manager that opened a hobby / checking account.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

I wish I had a fly mentor but I didn’t. I had an uncle I saw maybe once or twice a year who was a big trout fly fisher. 

Luckily I had a few kids in the neighborhood who thought fly fishing would be cool so we coaxed each other. 

Bob Clouser and Lefty Kreh. CD 50 years behind the vice.

Basic skills I learned in this utterly delightful CD were the groundwork’s for all my tying.

They started something I don’t wish to stop.

Mike

I can't really say I had a mentor either.  It probably sounds cliché, but I watched the movie A River Runs Through It when it came out and then decided to buy a cheap fly rod at the local Wal-Mart to give it a try.  From the first bluegill caught on that old Berkley rod and Cortland reel, I was in love with fly fishing.  From there it was just a matter of time before I started dreaming of far away trout streams, upgrading to better gear, tying my own flies, etc.  I've been fishing with a fly rod for 20 years now and I am still what I would call a rookie.  In this sport though, one is always learning.  And I'm cool with that.

My father got me started when I was 8 years old with a fly rod and fly tying but he started me fishing with a very long cane pole that came with black line a bobber and worms for sunfish.

54 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

My father got me started when I was 8 years old with a fly rod and fly tying but he started me fishing with a very long cane pole that came with black line a bobber and worms for sunfish.

My father had a couple of JC Higgins conventional reels with a line leveler , that were spooled with black line and he had those wooded bobbers ( green and Red ) also  From the 50's

I got into tying because once I got heavy into surf casting I started tying my own buck tail jigs and dressing my own hooks on plugs. I always thought that fly fishing looked fun but never got into it because of the added expense. Two years ago I was fishing Plum Island,MA. I had my big 10 ft spin rod and 5000 size reel, all anyone was catching was micro schoolies. One guy was in the wash with a 7/8 weight fly rod and having a blast hooking into these 14 inch stripers. I kept thinking that if I had a fly rod I would have had a lot more fun that day. 

I ended up buying one fly set up for salt and one for fresh and slowly started practice casting and tying flies in the winter. It's humbling to realize how different it is from casting spinning gear.  

My grandfather was an avid angler in his day. He actually held the MA largemouth state record during ‘68 or ‘69. Naturally, my dad fished as well, so I was introduced to it from the time I could walk. When I was about 10 or 11 my grandfather gave me an old glass fly rod with a Pfleuger Medalist, along with a couple boxes of freshwater flies. I cought my first striper on fly tackle with that setup on one of the bass bugs he gave me. It was a calm evening in Tashmoo lake at Martha’s Vineyard where we were moored up for an overnight stay. I took the inflatable around the pond looking for fish when a blitz of small bass erupted and I was able to place a clumsy cast into the melee. It was just a schoolie, but I’ll never forget that fish. It’s is the one that definitively formed my love for this sport. 

As an angler, even at a young age, I was always looking for ways to challenge myself and take the hobby to new levels. Fly fishing fit that bill well. That Christmas my mother got me a small fly tying kit, and it took off from there. I actually remember the first fly I ever tied was a wooly worm. With time, my tying improved, and I would ride my bike to CMS tackle, which at the time was located on Faunce Corner rd in Dartmouth. They sold fly gear and tying materials at the time, and I spent plenty of my money there, what little I earned as a 12-year-old. Eventually, I purchased a decent rod, a St. Croix, which I paired with a Redington AS 9/10. At 33 I still have that reel, and up until a few years ago it was still in my lineup. I guess I’ll keep it for when I have kids. I’m sure they’re going to love fishing as much as I do. Then they can tell stories like these. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

CMS tackle, which at the time was located on Faunce Corner rd in Dartmouth

I use to love that place too even though I lived in East Providence.

Every time I'd head to the Cape or near the area I'd stop by. Right off Route 195. They had lovely murals.

Than they moved. Bummer!

Love your story Rob. Great read.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Peter Kaminsky's book "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass' got me interested in saltwater flyfishing.But it was Irish Dave Brown of the Northfork of Long Island who showed me that I could catch bass from the shore with the flyrod. Dave is a great flytier who often gifts a stranger he meets on the beach with one of his creations.

He's still going strong at 80 but I'm catching up at 75. Thanks, Dave.

My brother in law Joe got me started on LMB in Ontario, Canada in the late 80's. In 92', my wife got me for Christmas tying lessons with Eric Petersen and a young Dave Skok at the old Fairfield fly shop. That same year for my birthday she gave me a full day casting clinic with one Mr. Ed Jaworowski. Sept. of that year I booked my first saltwater charter in R.I. with Capt. Johnny Glenn. That first trip my buddy John Szot and I hooked 63 Albies all around Fisher,'s and the Race and W.H. We also took our first trips to South Andros for bones with him. Fished with him for 10 years. I now fish on the Lauren B with Capt. Steve Burnett, when I'm not fishing the beaches and salt ponds of South County. This March will be my 7th year in a row back to South Andros. It's been a great ride, and I hope to continue for many more years. Here are a couple blasts from the past

Eric Petersen.jpeg

IMG_20151025_105748_200.jpg