GBS

What is your holy grail fly reel?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

I own a few that I’d like to add more of the same to but their cost is well beyond me these days. 

I have the some original Terry Hayden reels when they were made in Australia 

also have Loop Hi-tech reels and a couple steelfin. 

One reel I wish I owned still is a Loop Classic. Sold it when I sold a Spey rod. 

Those Haydens were something else, weren't they? Wish he was still making them. Heck, wish TFO were still making the Hayden model.

5 hours ago, GBS said:

Those Haydens were something else, weren't they? Wish he was still making them. Heck, wish TFO were still making the Hayden model.

When he was going out, I got the chance to buy them at sale pricing. Bought 4 of his reels, two direct and two anti-reverse. Those reels are bullet proof. 

There are some reels that were just built with quality in mind. Loop too had that in mind with their Hi-tech models. They were an open center reel. 

On 12/31/2018 at 4:07 PM, Mike West said:

Oh and an Abel Pt 5

Old school, small arbor, non-ported Big Game version? I have the early 1990s 0, 1 and 2 reels. Zero is one of my 4wt reels, the 1 is used for pulling streamers and the 2 carries an 8wt for inshore. This one was handiest to snap a photo. 

Grail? Big Islander if I could. 

IMG_4592.jpg.baa5e28706cb0e70775a0238815ae6fd.jpg

6 hours ago, GBS said:

Now you're talkin'. But how about the 9700 Bluewater?

charltonmako9700slhw-2.jpg

I think that's what I'd use for "Holy Grail Fish"! :) But, no, it's too much reel for the fishing I personally do. I actually think my 9550 is too much, but it is a truly lovely reel. (I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a 9500. Or two. ;) )

Cheers,

Graeme

That Seigler medium fly reel has really caught my eye. Lever drag and a $1000.00 price tag. It’s a work of art.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have looked for years for at least one Ross Big Game Canyon in a #7 for my 2 handers.  Had to settle for 1/2 spool of 30lb Gel Spun on my #6's, but heaven help me if I ever have to wind that back on with a big one on the other end.

Edited by FlatWing

I started salt water fly fishing at an age when money was an issue and I could not afford to go top shelf so I went through a number of reels that I knew would only last two or three years ( even with maintenance) but at at same time I knew in those two or three years I would upgrade and I used that thinking to continue to upgrade as as my financial position improved. I never aspired to own a classic top of the line fly reel, for me my holy grail was to buy a reel that I knew would last and never have to be upgraded. 

I finally felt that I was able to buy that reel a number of years ago when I bought my Orvis Mirage IV and two extra spools and I still feel that way today. I think everyone has their own standard for what is their holy grail reel, that is one more thing that makes fly fishing the great sport it is.

A Stan Bogdan is on the list to someday own and fish on a bamboo rod for my ultimate classic trout setup. For the salt I think, I own some winners with Tibor Everglades, Riptide, and Signature 7/8. An Abel SDS in a killer paint job would be great someday, too...