GBS

What is your holy grail fly reel?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Fancy expensive reels make me nervous, I’m happy with my old  Bauers, they’re indestructible, reliable and have the minimum moving parts.

JC

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I have interest (but no use) in some of the freshwater reels - Bogdan & Saracione are two.

Agreed, the Saracione reels are beautiful.

wpb99a8847_05_06.jpg

Edited by GBS
added image

I love my old Teton Tioga. Smooth, solid and dependable. But the waterproof 3-Tand really has the most appeal to me as a fly fisherman in the surf.

18 hours ago, JohnP said:

The Van Staal c vex 

This what I would like to try next, to see if is closer to perfection than what I had till now...

4 hours ago, baldwin said:

I love my old Teton Tioga. Smooth, solid and dependable. But the waterproof 3-Tand really has the most appeal to me as a fly fisherman in the surf.

That's what I used for tarpon last week, for the money I can't imagine a better reel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd be happy with a couple of Galvan Torques (T-8, T-10).  Also like the design and construction of the Colton Terrapins, especially for the price.  Nautilus NV gets rave reviews and is appealing but the Galvans and Colton Terrapin seem better built to me, and I would go for a mix of  those before paying more for the NVs.  The older Lamson Litespeeds are classy and I have a couple of those (models 3.5, 4).  But, have to admit most of my other reels are cheaper by half (or more) and perform just fine if properly and routinely maintained.  I'm o.k. with what I have for now.

Edited by Killiefish

If you asked me today to pick any reel I wanted, forget about the price “it is a gift”, I would pick Nautilus NV-G 8/9. I am a bit obsessed with drag so for me a reel has to have a sturdy and hopefully sealed drag and be light.

1 hour ago, marchese12 said:

If you asked me today to pick any reel I wanted, forget about the price “it is a gift”, I would pick Nautilus NV-G 8/9. I am a bit obsessed with drag so for me a reel has to have a sturdy and hopefully sealed drag and be light.

Agreed, the specs on the Nautilus are pretty impressive.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:19 PM, Fishin Technician said:

Jee wiz!..... I forgot about those S&W green stamps. If I remember it correctly it took forever to fill the book. Did the A&P markets give them out ?

I am not in need of any more reels at the moment, but I always ponder the what if.........

FT

Grand Union Supermarkets, Patterson NJ HQ. S&H redemption center on US 1 in Edison NJ.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, baldwin said:

Didn't know 3-Tand was actually waterproof. I have the TF. Are you talking about the T series ?

This is a tough call.  I've bought and sold quite a few pricey reels over the last 15 years or so....some only stick around for a while and others I still have.  In my simple mind, each one seems to have its own "personalty" ....not so much always strengths and weaknesses, but just how they roll.  I have arrived at a few conclusions...I think my VS C-Vex's are here to stay.  I purchased three a few years back and absolutely love the design and how they feel.  I've owned quite a few Hatch's- sold a number of them, but have 2 or 3 of the Finatic Gen 2's now and enjoy them...really appreciate the way the company runs as well.  I avoided Abel for years, but pulled the trigger on 2 SDS's last year for a Tarpon set up...something special about those reels as well.  My favorite Tibors are the QC models made a while back, but don't currently own any.  I was disappointed in the Nautilus I owned, but I'm betting the latest models are better with better support from the company as well.  If I had to pick one, it might be the C-Vex...not necessary the best, but I really love em.  As for Hatch and Abel (among others), I appreciate the fact that everything is done in the States.  One reel that I sold, but see myself possibly returning to again is Islander's LX...really appreciate sealed drags in the surf, but man o man...gotta love the Islander music!  Is there a reel that sounds better when its singing than an Islander?  If so, I haven't heard it yet.

I own a few that I’d like to add more of the same to but their cost is well beyond me these days. 

I have the some original Terry Hayden reels when they were made in Australia 

also have Loop Hi-tech reels and a couple steelfin. 

One reel I wish I owned still is a Loop Classic. Sold it when I sold a Spey rod.