jps1010

How soon we forget - Striped Bass decline

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, RL Bucktails said:

Overfishing is the issue.  The fish can survive weather changes.

This is the truth and the real problem. People tend to believe in anything. 

With the Hudson being one of the major spawning grounds its sad if this 'weak backbone' data has any, well, backbone to it. This trait could bury itself in the gene pool, changing Morone Saxatilis forever. Thank You General Electric :mad:

Bass are getting hammered from all sides.

From breeding habitat to overfishing. At least

on the beaches I fish,the numbers of rec guys now,

compared to even a decade ago,is unbelievable. Hope

something drastic is done with the regs. Soon.

Some impressive , intelligent observations . The common theme being agreement on the fact that something needs to be done , quickly. I’m older ,I’ve been fishing a long time , I’ve fished the lower Hudson my whole life , more than fifty years . I’ve been involved in commercial , headboat , six pack & recreational fishing . The decline is a complex issue, however , I believe overfishing , from all angles , is a primary reason for the down swing . Reel Gamblers take on it was excellent as was many other posters . My only disagreement is the climate warming issue. Fish can & do move to find suitable water temps conducive to their needs , reproduction , forage , comfort . IMHO.The vast majority of folks on this site genuinely care about this important , unique & wonderful resource , I’m confident that those same folks will rally and be instrumental in helping to find a solution . Hoping everyone has a Healthy , Happy & Prosperous Year , Bill J 

Posted (edited) · Report post

-We went to a moratorium and 1@36 and luckily the fish returned. 

-Then we went to 1@28, then 2@28 and in some places even more

-we also had documented lower spawning numbers for a bunch of years as we continued to fish under more liberal rules 

and so numbers declined over a decade, or longer

so now here we are debating whether it’s global warming 

gotta love it 

Edited by JohnP

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, DZ said:

You want to read something eerie?  Change the date of this editorial to 2019 and it just about hits the nail on the head.

Montgomery SB 1977.pdf

That was superb. You might have a future as a librarian or something. :D

I particularly liked this nugget, as a source of the reduction in striper stocks: ...enormous fishing pressure, most of it commercial, masquerading as "sport"... Seems especially relevant today, don't it?

I also like the bit about the surf catch being only the fringe of the larger body of bass. I've never thought about it quite that way, but I dig it.

Thanks for posting, Dennis. :th:

Edited by Belmo

2 mins ago, Belmo said:

I also like the bit about the surf catch being only the fringe of the larger body of bass. I've never thought about it quite that way, but I dig it.

This has always been the way I looked at the biomass - not only of striped bass but many other inshore species.

Having access to databases is a librarian's best friend ;)  

37 mins ago, JohnP said:

In NJ, you can buy a bonus tag and keep 3.  Back in the hay-days of the 2000s, small charter captains would go out twice a day and keep 7 man limits in the AM and PM.  The gold old "captain's limit" was the 7th group of fish.  That would be 42 fish a day, per charter boat.

48 mins ago, DZ said:

You want to read something eerie?  Change the date of this editorial to 2019 and it just about hits the nail on the head.

Montgomery SB 1977.pdf

Good find.

Sad to watch foolish history repeat itself.  It feels like the striped bass fishing needs to bottom out before any meaningful legislation will be enacted.  I don't think we are there yet.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:09 PM, DZ said:

Montgomery SB 1977.pdf

And even more eerie and disturbing is that there are several other waypoints in our history here in which we've "taught" ourselves the same lesson.  

How soon we forget?...pretty soon.  Pretty regularly.

Change date to 1890...

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 4.00.59 PM.png

On 1/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, JohnP said:

-we also had documented lower spawning numbers for a bunch of years as we continued to fish under more liberal rules 

and so numbers declined over a decade, or longer

so now here we are debating whether it’s global warming 

gotta love it 

My point exactly. 1 @ 36", what have we got to lose????