john1234

Plug for a very specific application

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

That’s a great sand eel imitator, what model size is that, a 17?

Nevermind, I blew up the picture and think I can make out a 17.

2 hours ago, john1234 said:

Wonder if anyone modifies an sp to wake like a Redfin and still have the castability?

I'm sure someone has tried something. I would just buy the redfin to get that action instead of messing with something that is made to move a different way. We all wish every lure could cast the same distance. I love SP's but a lot of spots here only 2-3' deep in the surf so you drag bottom when you don't want to. 

10 hours ago, Mack26 said:

That’s a great sand eel imitator, what model size is that, a 17?

17 it is, here are the 4 sizes.

Had a few more bass on the 13 than 17 last year

2019_1_11_MaxRap.jpg?w=1024

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, john1234 said:

Wonder if anyone modifies an sp to wake like a Redfin and still have the castability?

Actually, I do, but you've heard enough from me. I posted about it a month or two ago. 

Edited by Sweetwater
Spelling

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, john1234 said:

So that's how you triple post. 

Edited by Sweetwater

11 hours ago, Surfratiam said:

17 it is, here are the 4 sizes.

Had a few more bass on the 13 than 17 last year

2019_1_11_MaxRap.jpg?w=1024

Thanks man, I’m very interested in these. Did you say they are only available overseas? Love the finish, it looks incredibally realistic, especially that green!

Are you fishing them with the stock hooks too?

25 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Thanks man, I’m very interested in these. Did you say they are only available overseas? Love the finish, it looks incredibally realistic, especially that green!

Are you fishing them with the stock hooks too?

Crazy difficult to find in USA. Found they work best with stock hooks. Others I know who fish them feel the same.  Became a real confidence plug for me. 

Too bad, they are a great looking plug! The hooks almost look like freshwater size, but that may be why they perform so well. A heavier hook might kill the action. Which size in that line up is the 13? It’s a lot like the SP’s, I do more damage with the 5” size at times, and they are not small fish.

If your getting an sp stuck and your not fly fishing, but your fishing  plugs in real shallow water, with various current speed , and multiple forage - Please  Consider using a soft plastic with a single hook with inserted weight that can be adjusted quickly. I'm only speculating that probably on a new moon, with some decent wind you'll need to changeYour presentation  often. Those quickly changing areas that hold fish need to be angled with a mindset of not wasting time.  All of the above ideas, plugs, modifications to them, are great. But an experienced angler knows how not to carry 50 pounds of gear and catch fish.

11 mins ago, mythreesons said:

If your getting an sp stuck and your not fly fishing, but your fishing  plugs in real shallow water, with various current speed , and multiple forage - Please  Consider using a soft plastic with a single hook with inserted weight that can be adjusted quickly. I'm only speculating that probably on a new moon, with some decent wind you'll need to changeYour presentation  often. Those quickly changing areas that hold fish need to be angled with a mindset of not wasting time.  All of the above ideas, plugs, modifications to them, are great. But an experienced angler knows how not to carry 50 pounds of gear and catch fish.

I’m definitely someone who carries way to many plugs!

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Too bad, they are a great looking plug! The hooks almost look like freshwater size, but that may be why they perform so well. A heavier hook might kill the action. Which size in that line up is the 13? It’s a lot like the SP’s, I do more damage with the 5” size at times, and they are not small fish.

#1 is 17

#2 is 15

#3 is  13

1 hour ago, john1234 said:

I’m definitely someone who carries way to many plugs!

when you go fishing you need plan,what the fish are eating now ?take plugs what simulate the forige ,and what dept you will be fishing.that give you idea what plugs to take.if you fish short time change plug every 10 minutes,if you fish longer time change plug every 20 minutes.this way you do that as plan,you do not have to think about that.

get yourself  big calendar 11"x 22" and write in that window what you fish for and what was working,wind , waves .best lure and drew line off presure,when you fish from 8am to 4pm and presure was rising i write 8am and rising line and on top 4pm..

when you do that few years,you flip the calendar to same month and you have refrence where to fish and how to fish.the patern can moove few weeks back or forvard.

10 mins ago, snag777 said:

when you go fishing you need plan,what the fish are eating now ?take plugs what simulate the forige ,and what dept you will be fishing.that give you idea what plugs to take.if you fish short time change plug every 10 minutes,if you fish longer time change plug every 20 minutes.this way you do that as plan,you do not have to think about that.

get yourself  big calendar 11"x 22" and write in that window what you fish for and what was working,wind , waves .best lure and drew line off presure,when you fish from 8am to 4pm and presure was rising i write 8am and rising line and on top 4pm..

when you do that few years,you flip the calendar to same month and you have refrence where to fish and how to fish.the patern can moove few weeks back or forvard.

I guess I’m a little traumatized from a time I decided I wouldn’t need my loaded Cordell and sure enough fish breaking 20 yds past my cast and if I had that plug I would have had fish for hours.......so now I cram 3 plugs in every tube( will admit It did get frustrating untangling plugs in October when I was on fish but it was so cold my fingers weren’t working). I try and have 1 of every thing I think I might need ie.... a big topwater, a small topwater, a big swimmer and a small swimmer and so on.