john1234

Plug for a very specific application

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

I’ve also done well recently with a bone or black  7” Redfin with a few ccs of water and the lip bent back( with candle flame or cig lighter). I also reduce size of belly treble to a 2/0 VMC 4X and switch out tail treble for a 4/0 VMC siwash. This allows the plug to be casted a pretty fair distance and it will swim right in the surface with a slow /med. retrieve. Great plug for boulder fields , day or night. 

95D50BA7-9A24-4D89-B9CA-322A34446EAC.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I fish a spot that’s skinny with a rock bottom. SP’s hit bottom and often get caught up. I’ve found that the Yozuri hydro minnow swims considerably shallower, it’s now the go to in that spot.

I second the unweighted albie snax.  I would also try a 7" hogy plastic rigged unweighted.  I take it you do not fly fish?  A snake fly on a floating line could be deadly walked slowly across the surface.

If you need any help in fishing your area please PM me.  I have lots of gear, both spin an fly..:)

I agree that a spook type plug would work in skinny water and it would be my first choice. You could also try a floating popper with a nice rattle in it. Something like a Storm Chug Bug will produce nicely in those conditions. Heck, I've even used freshwater Jitterbugs in the shallows with success. I'd also try a Slug Go on a list Jig head. Fool around with it. You'll get it figured out. Also, don't believe that surface lures don't produce at night. They do and they do it very well.

Floating Sebile Stick Shad

Floating Sebile Magic Swimmer

Danny Surface Swimmer

they have smaller profile sizes and lots of color options.

The floating stick shadd can be fished on straight retrieve or walked subsurface with a spook retrieve.

The magic swimmer and dannys make great wake baits

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like these 2 for that situation.  Small hanns  needle and small Gibbs pencil. 

Other would be a small tattoo metal lipped. In freshwater size. 

I lost my only one this past summer.

20181231_195901.jpg

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher
Spelling

Not for nothing but I have had nights with fish busting and couldn’t get a touch , middle of the night , Hail Mary with white Gibbs pencils and they ending up crushing it .. now I always give it at least a few cast to see .. 

but spook and small metal lips and teasers behind egg normally my go to in shallow night time spots