john1234

Plug for a very specific application

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

also not a plug but one of the most underrated ways to fish skinny water at night is a old school 12" manns rubber worm rigged texas or Carolina style with a sluggo hook. the old schoolness of it is an added bonus. 

59 mins ago, john1234 said:

The waters low, I mean like 2 feet low and there’s bass cruising this area. I can only connect on smaller plugs like an sp or mag darter when the waters up, I’m looking for a wakebait or barely subsurface plug that I could fish here without hanging up. I’ve tried 7” red fins but they are a bit large of a profile and don’t get touched, 5” Redfin just doesn’t cast and is on my list of plugs I have no confidence in. How would you fish this scenario? Every year it throws me for a loop as I fish a lot of flats type areas that have tons of wadable water and fish but I can’t fish it well unless the waters up a bit, Thanks........JOHN.

I would try 3 plugs,a 1-1/2 oz danny or a 5-6 inch mann's stretch 1 minus or a small surfster.

as for rubber,unweighted 6 inch saltwater assassin in albino shad color or a small hogy type bait.

HH

Edited by Roddy

54 mins ago, john1234 said:

I guess because my topwater bites usually die at sunset, I can’t say I’ve given it too much of a chance though. Worth a shot.

I'm no pro, and everybody's situations are different, but I'd strongly advise throwing out all preconceived notions about which lures work during the day vs night. Many will tell you (truthfully) that tins and topwaters (e.g.: spooks) work at night...as does the color white. Also, black can work during the day.

7 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Gordon Wright

Jersey builder ? Have done well with his lil fat assed metal lip in super shallow flats .. best casting lil metal lip ever .. great subsurface wiggle 

DC10EB3C-78D5-4F27-9AEB-46C7C714572C.jpeg

5F390B1B-AC69-409E-B9FC-EA31DC4212D8.jpeg

A loaded 5" jointed redfin is at the top of my list along with a very light needlefish in that condition. might want to consider a small Choopy needle start dropping bombs in that kind of water and say goodbye to the fish.

35 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Jersey builder ? Have done well with his lil fat assed metal lip in super shallow flats .. best casting lil metal lip ever .. great subsurface wiggle 

DC10EB3C-78D5-4F27-9AEB-46C7C714572C.jpeg

5F390B1B-AC69-409E-B9FC-EA31DC4212D8.jpeg

Who makes that plug if you done mind me asking? 

Wright ... he a smaller jersey builder .. don’t know if he still makes plugs .. i found a bunch of his stuff in an estate sale .. his hardwares alil on light side but good action on the plugs .. caught a lot of fish on his pencil which of course I only found one of 

highly under rated , for skinny waters, badonk-a-donk 4 in, 3/4 oz, jerk it or walk the dog nice and slow, day or night, color don't matter, this plug for me has produced many a fish lg and small , casts well, and for some reason ole yellow eyes doesn't seem to like it so much, but the bass do

I’d try a 3.5” or 4.5” floating Sebile stick shadd or a Rapala X-Rap long cast  shallow 4.75” size 12 or the X-Rap Twitchin’ Minnow 4.75” size 12, same plug just about 1/4oz lighter...

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

also not a plug but one of the most underrated ways to fish skinny water at night is a old school 12" manns rubber worm rigged texas or Carolina style with a sluggo hook. the old schoolness of it is an added bonus. 

Good!