john1234

Plug for a very specific application

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

The waters low, I mean like 2 feet low and there’s bass cruising this area. I can only connect on smaller plugs like an sp or mag darter when the waters up, I’m looking for a wakebait or barely subsurface plug that I could fish here without hanging up. I’ve tried 7” red fins but they are a bit large of a profile and don’t get touched, 5” Redfin just doesn’t cast and is on my list of plugs I have no confidence in. How would you fish this scenario? Every year it throws me for a loop as I fish a lot of flats type areas that have tons of wadable water and fish but I can’t fish it well unless the waters up a bit, Thanks........JOHN.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Why not? 

I guess because my topwater bites usually die at sunset, I can’t say I’ve given it too much of a chance though. Worth a shot.

The super Super strike little neck popper swims on top if you retrieve it like a swimming plug ...and it casts well... there’s a video online with Don Musso demonstrating  it if you look for it ...I put dressed siwash on the back of mine and have caught at night on them ...green 

Weighted 5” straight or jointed Red fin

7 or 9” sluggo either white or black 

small danny

medium size danny

jointed eely like from Beachmaster tuned to run on surface. 

Rebel Jumpin minnow( daytime) 

Egg and jig ( or small soft plastic) ( daytime) 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

7/8 oz striper swiper or 3.5" gags floating popper. The floating popper has a nice rattle and does sink a little. The striper swiper sinks a little more but will stay within a few inches of the top.