bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

359 posts in this topic

Before the rains the Delaware River was high but clear so I gave it a shot. I had a good afternoon of fishing for American shad, mostly large roe and big bucks that jumped like tarpon. My rod is a RPL Sage 6wgt I built in 1989, thirty years ago just for shad.

inCollage_20190425_204920406.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

We stocked our high school club lake. We have not been able to catch them for weeks. The only thing they are hitting is flys. I have ONE kid who fly fishes. I was doing work there and caught the biggest we put in on a dry fly. We named it “Jaws”. Hopefully the kids will catch some when we head out. Im going to rig flys on spinning rods with a float. We’ll see how it goes. Ill be teaching fly fishing this week coming up so hopefully a few are interested and can get a fly out to them when they are feeding. 

09FBFEA4-D378-4556-B7EF-323692C058E2.jpeg

Edited by hipkvw

2 hours ago, matt_man said:

Nothing beats a good gill grip on a brood stock fish

Looks like someone's having that planter for dinner! I got no problem with that. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finally stuck my first bass of the season, I was late this year. High tide, small surf, sunny and hot. On a size 6 orange Gotcha. I use 3 iPS Airflo Sniper line on an Echo Classic 6w switch rod. Tied with my all time PB. California. 

IMG_20190502_115650_437.jpg

Edited by Uncle Stu

3 hours ago, titleguy said:

Nice Stu- must have been a good tussle on that set up.

It took me awhile because the fish took the hook in a strong rip that was going behind a big rock. If I gave any line it would be game over, with the fish rubbing my leader against the rocks. The first half of the fight was each of us saying, Oh no you don't. The #6 perch fly was so small, I was concerned about the hookset. The second half of it was me following the fish up and down the beach until it was tired and the right wave came along to help me out. Good times.

1 min ago, Uncle Stu said:

Got another today, same spot. 

IMG_20190504_135922_436.jpg

are you north of ventura?  Here is south LA the corbina are showing

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

Got another today, same spot. 

IMG_20190504_135922_436.jpg

your picture has a norman Rockwell quality to it I would commission an artist to copy in paint nice catch !