bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

340 posts in this topic

Nice cuttie, Stone. What species of perch is that? I got a nice fat barred perch on the fly yesterday. Had him on the beach getting a quick photo, and he escaped. Ocean: 1. Uncle Stu: 0

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

Nice cuttie, Stone. What species of perch is that? I got a nice fat barred perch on the fly yesterday. Had him on the beach getting a quick photo, and he escaped. Ocean: 1. Uncle Stu: 0

Stu,

That is a pile perch. 

Have caught them before in the sound, but never on a fly.

SF

Posted (edited) · Report post

Managed to avoid a skunking on the first saltwater trip of the year (Saturday night).

20190420_223718.thumb.jpg.7fb2e3911999dc4d6a62583b9501d4a3.jpg.078453be3ba8f2435fb6afb8f56014e2.jpg

Also a pic from earlier this month on a short trip to Colorado.  I only fished a couple hours the one morning, but it was fun...I dropped one fish and caught zero. 

P4033142.JPG.ec69f34a4434a9d9af87348d8f2695ea.JPG

Edited by PSUFly

48 mins ago, bigredgolf said:

PSU, where did you fish in CO? Generally

Blue River in Summit County.  I was really only out there for 3 full days to snowboard.  I think I could've managed a few fish if I put more time into it.  Where in CO do you live?

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, PSUFly said:

Blue River in Summit County.  I was really only out there for 3 full days to snowboard.  I think I could've managed a few fish if I put more time into it.  Where in CO do you live?

I used to fish the Blue in my youth (grew up in Steamboat)  People would ask me how it was and I would respond, "it blew"....

Edited by titleguy

55 mins ago, titleguy said:

I used to fish the Blue in my youth (grew up in Steamboat)  People would ask me how it was and I would respond, "it blew"....

I've visited Steamboat quite a few times and have yet to fish the Yampa...hopefully next time I'm there.  This was the first time I've brought the fly rod to CO with me.  Steamboat is a cool town though, my buddy has lived there for 7 or 8 years

Edited by PSUFly

16 hours ago, PSUFly said:

I've visited Steamboat quite a few times and have yet to fish the Yampa...hopefully next time I'm there.  This was the first time I've brought the fly rod to CO with me.  Steamboat is a cool town though, my buddy has lived there for 7 or 8 years

In younger years, when I still skied out there, we would ski in the morning and fish in the afternoon.  Never had much success on the Blue; the Colorado is another story, however.

Two days trying for a tarpon. Blew a bunch of shots, got 4 to eat, and didn’t get a hook in any of them. First day a pulled this big jack off the back of a bigger shark. Somehow he didn’t become shark bait. Conditions weren’t the best. Windy the second day. Dirty water lots of places. Kept spooking bones before we saw them. Definitely need to work on my casting but I can’t wait to get back. 

6F9A3B9E-60DF-46D3-9EC6-8B5AF80BDB7C.jpeg

11 hours ago, PhillyPhisher said:

Two days trying for a tarpon. Blew a bunch of shots, got 4 to eat, and didn’t get a hook in any of them. First day a pulled this big jack off the back of a bigger shark. Somehow he didn’t become shark bait. Conditions weren’t the best. Windy the second day. Dirty water lots of places. Kept spooking bones before we saw them. Definitely need to work on my casting but I can’t wait to get back. 

6F9A3B9E-60DF-46D3-9EC6-8B5AF80BDB7C.jpeg

PhillyPhisher

Also just got back from Tarpon and same outcome.  Went down for 2 days and of course 20-30 mph winds.  Had 6 shots 2 were perfect and only one showed interest.  It was my first time so I learned a lot especially how awesome it is to see 150+ lb fish cruise the flats!  Better luck next time

Edited by BWalsh