bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

610 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Well that is really discouraging to hear both Cali and Alaska are not doing well.  There were issues with the salmon runs when I was living there in 2011/2012.  King Salmon was closed very early both summers due to concerns over escapement for spawning.  Similar problem in that commercial boats were taking the lion's share of the fish before they could hit the rivers and the rec anglers were getting shutdown.  Also there were concerns that salmon were getting decimated out in international waters by foreign vessels.  

Don't end your own life yet. I have seen reports of good runs in other places. But for me, I've had a bad year. Hopefully just a down cycle. I heard rumors about gill netters harvesting most of the coho at the river where I usually fish. I just wonder about the future, with ocean fish stocks declining across the globe. Sigh. 

Sorry for the previous re-post above something was caching in my browser and had to clean out my history when I would go to comment it would import the draft, so sorry for bloating up this thread.

For me, the best fishing is Small Mouth fishing.  They punch way out of their class and are such willing takers of flies its hard for me to feel the same about any other fish.  Unfortunately smallie fishing here is beggining to wane.  We had a frost snap over the weekend but temps have stabilized into the 60's. Here are a few pics from a few outings the last couple of weeks. 

I get very depressed at the end of the season and as each season wanes I think about which flies worked and which did not, maybe what I might do differently next year, an optimistic exercise but necessary.  As someone from Virginia for all but 7 years of my life the 8 months of slate gray that seemingly envelopes the state of NY it is hard to process, so breaking it into fly types for a specific month helps.  I will toss out the flies that didn't work and re-tie the ones that did.  The list is down to just a few that really performed for me, Murdich Minnow, Bart-O minnow variants, Deer Hair swimming frog, Tequeely, those will be the ones I focus on this winter.  Gunnar Brammer has a series called "The Chosen One" that I will also spend my time on.  

I didnt get to fish the salt this year, a first for me in over a decade and from the dire accounts seemingly everywhere I suppose I didnt miss too much but I really build  my year around that 4 nights in Maine I would get catching endless striper on crab and sand eel imitations, already we are planning to spend time on the coast next year.

KIMG1081.jpg

KIMG0967.jpg

KIMG1032.jpg

KIMG0226.jpg

KIMG0224.jpg

KIMG6359.jpg

KIMG5424.jpg

3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Don't end your own life yet. I have seen reports of good runs in other places. But for me, I've had a bad year. Hopefully just a down cycle. I heard rumors about gill netters harvesting most of the coho at the river where I usually fish. I just wonder about the future, with ocean fish stocks declining across the globe. Sigh. 

Not gonna kill myself over fishing besides there is always freshwater options. Its definitely not good to see issues so wide spread with overharvest

On 9/17/2019 at 4:08 PM, Striperknight said:

Scouts in my troop all told me not to fish here because there were no fish. Told  me I was wasting my time.

IMG_20190914_112456.jpg.be0482bb5c6ab6c11725166b3162b262.jpg

Then I showed up with fly rod and showed them no fish. lol

IMG_20190914_111216.jpg

IMG_20190914_112756.jpg

Yes I gripped a sunny. It was the only way to get it up the hill without killing myself. This was cleaned and cooked for fishing merit badge. 

IMG_20190914_191524.jpg

and that's the beauty of warmwater fly fishing. There are fish to be hunted just about anywhere there is more than a bathtub's worth of water :-) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Skunked again last night, but it was actually a positive experience.  The wind was absolutely awful so I decided to go out and see if I could manage to do anything with my two hand 12 wt rod and a full sink line even though I was fishing a relatively shallow rocky point.  The wind had created absolutely insane waves so I had to pick this one piece of the structure that I could fishing safely where their was a perch and a safe area to try and land a fish while still making fly cast by putting wind off my left shoulder.  I had to use a super heavy jig fly to even keep down with the full sink in all the sweep.  I was catching nothing but salad and it was getting dicey so was getting ready to call it a night when I got a strike as soon as I made contact with my fly after the initial 40-50 foot cast (no real idea how far I was getting but I had 50 feet of line out my rod tip).  It was definitely the biggest bass I have hooked in surf conditions on a fly rod.  I would guess 20-25 pounds.  It was a tough fight and unfortunately the attempt at landing the fish failed as the last wave broke my line and my heart as I was trying to get fish up in the safe landing zone.  It was too dangerous to wade out at all to attempt to land her in the water.  I decided it was time to go home.  I got my shot at a big storm fish with no life threatening situation popping up so it was time to go home.  

This morning with a clearer head my only thought is that was dumb.  I should have used surfcasting gear.  There definitely is a point where pursuing this fish in certain conditions on a fly rod becomes a foolish endeavor I think I crossed that threshold last night.  In fact it was one of those nights I probably should have just stayed home.  Inlet fishing is hard enough with a fly rod this big surf stuff gets borderline stupid to attempt.  Though maybe if I landed that fish I would feel differently this morning.

61AD37E4-1DD3-40CE-875A-351E4A884593.jpeg.35663d1878a2816f108cd80e30b9cd6a.jpeg

This was the fly the bass took.  And I was juicing it with scent.  I used pro-cure super gel eel scent rubbed into the mesh body.  Figured I could use all the help I could get fishing 9' and larger waves.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Skunked again last night, but it was actually a positive experience.  The wind was absolutely awful so I decided to go out and see if I could manage to do anything with my two hand 12 wt rod and a full sink line even though I was fishing a relatively shallow rocky point.  The wind had created absolutely insane waves so I had to pick this one piece of the structure that I could fishing safely where their was a perch and a safe area to try and land a fish while still making fly cast by putting wind off my left shoulder.  I had to use a super heavy jig fly to even keep down with the full sink in all the sweep.  I was catching nothing but salad and it was getting dicey so was getting ready to call it a night when I got a strike as soon as I made contact with my fly after the initial 40-50 foot cast (no real idea how far I was getting but I had 50 feet of line out my rod tip).  It was definitely the biggest bass I have hooked in surf conditions on a fly rod.  I would guess 20-25 pounds.  It was a tough fight and unfortunately the attempt at landing the fish failed as the last wave broke my line and my heart as I was trying to get fish up in the safe landing zone.  It was too dangerous to wade out at all to attempt to land her in the water.  I decided it was time to go home.  I got my shot at a big storm fish with no life threatening situation popping up so it was time to go home.  

This morning with a clearer head my only thought is that was dumb.  I should have used surfcasting gear.  There definitely is a point where pursuing this fish in certain conditions on a fly rod becomes a foolish endeavor I think I crossed that threshold last night.  In fact it was one of those nights I probably should have just stayed home.  Inlet fishing is hard enough with a fly rod this big surf stuff gets borderline stupid to attempt.  Though maybe if I landed that fish I would feel differently this morning.

61AD37E4-1DD3-40CE-875A-351E4A884593.jpeg.35663d1878a2816f108cd80e30b9cd6a.jpeg

This was the fly the bass took.  And I was juicing it with scent.  I used pro-cure super gel eel scent rubbed into the mesh body.  Figured I could use all the help I could get fishing 9' and larger waves.

Have you considered wearing a wet suit or were you in that stuff wearing waders?  I have the NOAA app and saw that there were gale warnings in Maine, Im assuming you were fishing in gale warning conditions.  Glad youre safe.  Gonna PM you about NW NY here in a few days if you dont mind.

1 hour ago, scooleen74 said:

Have you considered wearing a wet suit or were you in that stuff wearing waders?  I have the NOAA app and saw that there were gale warnings in Maine, Im assuming you were fishing in gale warning conditions.  Glad youre safe.  Gonna PM you about NW NY here in a few days if you dont mind.

I was in waders with a semi dry top and life jacket plus spikes.  I never got in the water except during the landing attempt and was basically only in the water when waves crashed it was dry between waves.  Even in a wetsuit if you fell in last night it was certain death.  Where I was fishing in these conditions its 6-8' deep drop off at the wall so fish are at your feet, but you stay back from edge of wall because waves were coming up over the wall.  The current sweeps along the wall and big boulders create these current breaks that fish will lay up during a big water event.  I had never fished there with waves perdicted over 7 feet before and I think going forward I am going to keep that as the safety mark for me.  Last night they were 9-15 foot.  Part of why I lost that fish was I refused to wade out to try and land it for safety so lost it at the lip.  I think even in a wetsuit doing to the lip edge in those conditions could kill you if you made any mistakes.  Every now and then when a 15 foot would come in the lip was getting hit with 4 feet high wash that could easily pull a person back into the sea.

Feel free to shoot me a PM on NY.

"This morning with a clearer head my only thought is that was dumb.  I should have used surfcasting gear.  There definitely is a point where pursuing this fish in certain conditions on a fly rod becomes a foolish endeavor I think I crossed that threshold last night.  In fact it was one of those nights I probably should have just stayed home.  Inlet fishing is hard enough with a fly rod this big surf stuff gets borderline stupid to attempt.  Though maybe if I landed that fish I would feel differently this morning."

Yea, but if you took the sensible route, you wouldn't have had nearly such a great story. Trust me, you'll likely remember that "Outside the box"night and the fight of that lost fish long after other routine memories are faded :-) 

Edited by WeeHooker

Dan,   Now this would be a great day of fishing, though any day on the water is a great day !!

5da50605c160a_DansFakeStripper.png.92c95d3c3eebc559cdd31096beca1c68.png

Edited by HillTop

On 10/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, Stonefish said:

Always fun when a coho decides to crash the searun cutthroat party.

SF

E946DBEA-A5A2-4D8F-902A-D22608F2D32D.jpeg

what a bar of chrome, way to go Brian. I need to go fishing.