bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

627 posts in this topic

Fished some rough surf and inlets over the weekend.  Only found schoolies.  The one night I did not fish my surfcasting friend got some serious cow bass.  Classic you should have been here yesterday scenario

71946F13-D118-4CBF-B5FF-042EF63739BB.jpeg.d5d39b49c9384db3f3cdab524255d0c8.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been in a weird rut of birthday fishing trips.  Skunked for the third birthday in a row yesterday.  Unfortunately, in addition to the birthday skunks this fall run is turning into a fall "flop" for me.  No quality fish and often no fish at all.  72 trips into the year I just feel tired and defeated.  I will go at least 3-4 more trips, but this might be the first year I hang up my striper gear before November.  I hope everyone else is having more success than I am.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Been in a weird rut of birthday fishing trips.  Skunked for the third birthday in a row yesterday.  Unfortunately, in addition to the birthday skunks this fall run is turning into a fall "flop" for me.  No quality fish and often no fish at all.  72 trips into the year I just feel tired and defeated.  I will go at least 3-4 more trips, but this might be the first year I hang up my striper gear before November.  I hope everyone else is having more success than I am.  

  You're not alone. The last two weekends, 6 days total,  were spent on the Merrimack and PI Sound.  Very, very familiar water to me and it produced 50 fish to 22".   That is a pitiful total, the least and smallest for this time of year  that I can remember.  Large flies produced small fish. Small flies produced next to nothing.  I saw a few small blitzes, but nothing too encouraging. I usually go on my birthday at the end of the month, but I'm thinking I may pass.  Tramping through the  leafless trees and dying marsh grass to get skunked is a bit too depressing  for me.  I have no theories, no answers, only hope for next Spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear I am done with the stripes for the year.  Headed to Montana on Saturday for some paradox fishing ( Either swinging giant streamers on my spey rod or fishing tiny blue wings on my glass rod).  Weather looks right sporty- one day in the 60s, maybe, for the week with 3-6" of snow forecast for the day before I arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

  You're not alone. The last two weekends, 6 days total,  were spent on the Merrimack and PI Sound.  Very, very familiar water to me and it produced 50 fish to 22".   That is a pitiful total, the least and smallest for this time of year  that I can remember.  Large flies produced small fish. Small flies produced next to nothing.  I saw a few small blitzes, but nothing too encouraging. I usually go on my birthday at the end of the month, but I'm thinking I may pass.  Tramping through the  leafless trees and dying marsh grass to get skunked is a bit too depressing  for me.  I have no theories, no answers, only hope for next Spring.

I keep a very detailed log, which this year has been more of a depressing than helpful practice.  I have completed 72 trips in this year and will try to finish with 80 total.  Also I have been fishing 4 hour vs 3 hour trips this year so my total hours on the water is 154% of what I spent in 2018 and 2017.  My results on fish over 28 inches are 19 total for 2019 and I had over 50 in both 2017/2018.  So 54% more effort to produce only 38% of usual results.

 

I actually was hoping to hear others were seeing positive signs somewhere, but it seems its all around drought for many experienced fishermen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I keep a very detailed log, which this year has been more of a depressing than helpful practice.  I have completed 72 trips in this year and will try to finish with 80 total.  Also I have been fishing 4 hour vs 3 hour trips this year so my total hours on the water is 154% of what I spent in 2018 and 2017.  My results on fish over 28 inches are 19 total for 2019 and I had over 50 in both 2017/2018.  So 54% more effort to produce only 38% of usual results.

 

I actually was hoping to hear others were seeing positive signs somewhere, but it seems its all around drought for many experienced fishermen.  

I am relatively new to striper fishing compared to most here, having just started in earnest a few years ago, but this year was noticeably worse than the past couple of years up in New Hampshire as well. With more experience and a much better idea of where to fish and when, I still did worse than last year. I didn't catch a single fish over 30" and that includes spinning gear and fishing from a kayak some of the time. There aren't as many large fish up here as in MA and further south but that is still a sad state of affairs. I can't understand why we're not talking about a moratorium on keeping stripers (not us on this site, but the powers that be).

Edited by drmevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I actually was hoping to hear others were seeing positive signs somewhere, but it seems its all around drought for many experienced fishermen.  

I'm having an eerily similar year out here in Cali. I did land my biggest bass ever, but overall I only caught a tiny fraction of the stripers I get on a good year. This also happened to us on our annual Alaska trip last month... we caught only 15% of the adult coho that we got last year in the same place.

 

I assume there is some good beach fishing somewhere... but it ain't here and now.

 

Microfishing anyone? I hear it's the next big thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

I'm having an eerily similar year out here in Cali. I did land my biggest bass ever, but overall I only caught a tiny fraction of the stripers I get on a good year. This also happened to us on our annual Alaska trip last month... we caught only 15% of the adult coho that we got last year in the same place.

 

I assume there is some good beach fishing somewhere... but it ain't here and now.

 

Microfishing anyone? I hear it's the next big thing.

 

 

Well that is really discouraging to hear both Cali and Alaska are not doing well.  There were issues with the salmon runs when I was living there in 2011/2012.  King Salmon was closed very early both summers due to concerns over escapement for spawning.  Similar problem in that commercial boats were taking the lion's share of the fish before they could hit the rivers and the rec anglers were getting shutdown.  Also there were concerns that salmon were getting decimated out in international waters by foreign vessels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now