bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

Yesterday I had some visitors on my front yard, this was about half of the flock, Muddler Minnows anyone.

P1100938sol.JPG.6033357a6527732c28ee8a0ab92fb8a1.JPG

18 mins ago, Bonefish79 said:

Hey BFD, those jigs will be fun.  When I lived in Islamorada we found out that the snook and bonefish there were absolute suckers for a bucktail jig.  We used a brand called Millie's, not available anymore.  The boxing glove style at 11 o'clock in this photo were all we used.

Millies1.jpg

A friend of mine on Sanibel doesn't tie his own jigs he buys all of his, he uses a a Pompano Jig that he buys from Charlies Worms. A google search will show what they look like, he uses 3/8 size.

Fat surf perch on Uncle Stu's Pretty Good Mole Crab. 6w Echo switch, 8w Airflo line. Weekend storm on the horizon, brief window this morning and we got into a few slabs on the fly.

IMG_20190201_113058_997.jpg

IMG_20190201_113918_047.jpg

Tied up a faux bucktail thing for pike,  now i know why that stuff was on sale, met Mr. Clouser himself, and have been busy tying up smaller bluegill and carp flies.  Moving on to a batch of Murdich Minnows.

IMG_20190107_090358_096.jpg

IMG_20190119_202352_668.jpg

KIMG5343.jpg

KIMG5522.jpg

On 2/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, scooleen74 said:

Tied up a faux bucktail thing for pike,  now i know why that stuff was on sale, met Mr. Clouser himself, and have been busy tying up smaller bluegill and carp flies.  Moving on to a batch of Murdich Minnows.

IMG_20190107_090358_096.jpg

IMG_20190119_202352_668.jpg

KIMG5343.jpg

KIMG5522.jpg

I bought two packages a couple of years ago and used it a couple of times and I have never used it since. 

Tried to fish today. Then it started nuking. Ended up turning around as I’m sure the dirt roads I was gonna be on were turning to ****. Now I’m watching silver kings and praying for April. 

5FB99AB3-BE6B-41BA-9334-09BAB38CC17E.jpeg

On 1/9/2019 at 4:24 PM, HL said:

Dick,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - NO!!

The take is not the same.

Going to Tampa area in mid Feb - with a wading guide - He spins fish most of the time. He says he's not much of a fly guy - but will practice with a fly rod before I get there. 

Hope to post some nice red fish pix.

How was the fishing? I'm flying down to Tampa tonight and hope to get some time fishing over the weekend there.

Re :How is fishing.

I fished 2 early (before dawn) mornings at Dunedin causeway to Honeymoon island.

No fish but trout and reds caught by live bait (shrimp) fishermen on either side of me.

Went one day with wading guide to Tampa Bay. He caught a mix of reds and trout day before. Nothing the day we went. I asked him to use as spinning gear with plastic to see if fish were there.  They were not. 

Call the people at Tampa Fly Fishing Club to find out where. Call the President. Great guy.

Today didnt fish.

Tomorrow going to St Petersburg with guide.

You really need local knowkedge down here to catch fish and to stay out of trouble with very soft bottom and to know where the underwater holes and cuts are.

Also - careful of the rays.

Guide is Waderdave (waderdave@wadersguide.com).

Fee is $250.

Herb

20 mins ago, HL said:

Re :How is fishing.

I fished 2 early (before dawn) mornings at Dunedin causeway to Honeymoon island.

No fish but trout and reds caught by live bait (shrimp) fishermen on either side of me.

Went one day with wading guide to Tampa Bay. He caught a mix of reds and trout day before. Nothing the day we went. I asked him to use as spinning gear with plastic to see if fish were there.  They were not. 

Call the people at Tampa Fly Fishing Club to find out where. Call the President. Great guy.

Today didnt fish.

Tomorrow going to St Petersburg with guide.

You really need local knowkedge down here to catch fish and to stay out of trouble with very soft bottom and to know where the underwater holes and cuts are.

Also - careful of the rays.

Guide is Waderdave (waderdave@wadersguide.com).

Fee is $250.

Herb

Herb after your guide trip  if you want some Tampa intel , I think I can help you out . 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, PhillyPhisher said:

Tried to fish today. Then it started nuking. Ended up turning around as I’m sure the dirt roads I was gonna be on were turning to ****. Now I’m watching silver kings and praying for April. 

5FB99AB3-BE6B-41BA-9334-09BAB38CC17E.jpeg

I'm fishing tomorrow afternoon hopefully- I need a February fish to keep the streak going.....

On 2/21/2019 at 3:29 AM, titleguy said:

I'm fishing tomorrow afternoon hopefully- I need a February fish to keep the streak going.....

This will be the first month in two years I haven’t caught a trout. Only got out once and got skunked. Then it started dumping snow for a week. At least we will have plenty of water this summer. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m sorry the streak came to an end, tough pill to swallow especially, when the weather fight you every step of the way.

Edited by bonefishdick