bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

683 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Went rock hopping to access some deeper water.  Pretty treacherous footing out there glad I had the spikes.  Found a couple bigger schoolies fishing top water sliders on a slow waking retrieve.  

55ECE05F-D92D-4FC3-A1A1-95B5105D6C62.jpeg.f6b60278eefcff8d98999a0e3f74ead1.jpeg

Sun came up on my trek back to car.  With full daylight it was apparent that others had been littering the pullout so I took some time to clean it up.  People take our access for granted keep making a mess and those local spots will get locked off forever.

10AF6291-E646-45BF-8F34-BB91FE00EB75.jpeg.b91d3b6a5299a1d10a68c7c0f8fce780.jpeg

Thanks for your efforts to make the places we enjoy better.

People are such pigs. If they’ll do that to a beautiful beach I can only imagine what their own homes look like.

I always carry a Costco garbage sack with me and spend some time picking up litter.

Every little bit helps.

I really like the #Plasticinthebasket movement.

SF

26 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

#plasticinthebasket good one, Stone. Count me in. 

Stu,

They have a good Instagram group that shows all the litter folks pick up.

Some nice fish pictures as well. I jealous of their sea trout fishery over the other side of the big pond.

SF

On 8/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, Stonefish said:

Stu,

They have a good Instagram group that shows all the litter folks pick up.

Some nice fish pictures as well. I jealous of their sea trout fishery over the other side of the big pond.

SF

is it a healthy stock? somewhere I got the idea that salmon farming has decimated the sea trout population--maybe that was Scotland.

Well worked hard last night and thought I was gonna get the skunk but I noticed an area with five pairs of spawning green crabs.  Grabbed one pair confirming bigger sized soft female crabs.  Switched to crab flies and saved the skunk, but only got schoolies to hand.

E508F40C-B113-4FC9-97CA-C7550C487369.jpeg.163051fdf3599e658dce9e85785e4474.jpegE43F54C3-B17A-40BD-9B95-97BDBCB340F0.jpeg.ee95014142667a295a62706e8a10c199.jpeg3ACF4AA8-2B67-4733-8363-3ACE360E78EF.jpeg.4cd569916b44d3a236121637adeed1b1.jpeg

Blind fishing crabs in inlets only seems to be effective if you are observant and choose to do it when you start finding molting crabs.  The molting green crabs cannot swim well or hang onto rocks well so get dislodged and tumble.  So a tradition nymph indicator approach works well in areas of good current.  When all the crabs I am seeing are hard shell I have found its a poor approach.  So its really turning out to be more of a match the hatch tactic.  Fish searching sliders or streamers in the inlets but if you find a crab spawn switch it up and capitalize.  Tightline keeps snagging too much so indicators with unweighted flies and oval shot to keep it near bottom has been way to go.  UV light to charge the glowing thingamabobber is key

I messed around with crabs on beaches and flats at night since fishing with James Brown in Maine.  Fishing them blind slow along bottom on a sinking line worked at night too.  

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

On 8/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Sun came up on my trek back to car.  With full daylight it was apparent that others had been littering the pullout so I took some time to clean it up.  People take our access for granted keep making a mess and those local spots will get locked off forever.

I fish public areas and what I find, besides all the trash, are tangles of fishing line - on the ground, in the bushes, hanging from trees. I've seen birds tangled in mono, a bat hooked and tangled in a tree, injured swans, hooked turtles, and on and on. I never leave a fishing session without handfuls of mono, bobbers, rusted hooks, and occasionally lures. I could spend the entire day picking up trash and it wouldn't make a dent. It's too depressing.

3 hours ago, titleguy said:

The guys up here who consistently get the most (and biggest) fish on flies fish crabs.  For me, it is like watching paint dry...

Fishing them slow on the bottom in areas of low current is very boring for sure day or night.  Fishing them under the indicator is the same as nymphing so if you like nymphing you would like that approach.  It only works in very specific areas though preferably with lots of current, active mussel or oyster beds, and rocky structure or sharp drop undercut banks with sod chunks to help provide holding lies.  As mentioned before as I move around with red light as I see crabs I stop to check if they are molting or not.  If they are then I will attempt this if they are not I stick to more standard approaches.  As you get more and more familiar with what to look for you don't need to touch crabs you can visually identify a molting crab using white light.  At this point I am still grabbing them to be sure, but 9/10 times my suspicions that they are soft have been confirmed.  Some green crabs are actually red in appearance this is less common where I fish and I am still not 100% on identifying their coloration differences that indicate molting.

47 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Fishing them slow on the bottom in areas of low current is very boring for sure day or night.  Fishing them under the indicator is the same as nymphing so if you like nymphing you would like that approach.  It only works in very specific areas though preferably with lots of current, active mussel or oyster beds, and rocky structure or sharp drop undercut banks with sod chunks to help provide holding lies.  As mentioned before as I move around with red light as I see crabs I stop to check if they are molting or not.  If they are then I will attempt this if they are not I stick to more standard approaches.  As you get more and more familiar with what to look for you don't need to touch crabs you can visually identify a molting crab using white light.  At this point I am still grabbing them to be sure, but 9/10 times my suspicions that they are soft have been confirmed.  Some green crabs are actually red in appearance this is less common where I fish and I am still not 100% on identifying their coloration differences that indicate molting.

Interesting....  Several people thought my striper bugger worked so well last because it looked like a fast swimming and moulting crab.....

I used James's crab pot fly, swung on fast sinking depth charge line to get my PB in Ogunquit Maine. The tides are so big and drop so fast its just swinging the fly and bouncing, either that or swinging sand eel imitations works for me.

IMG_20180630_093043_741.jpg

VID_26151128_164532_110.mp4

Edited by scooleen74

I'm into pond fisging this summer, loads of fun. Sunnies, bluegills and bass are on the menu, the Frog Gurgler caught some bass but a trout dry fly was hot on the pan fish. A 4wgt makes it totally fun.

20190816_122633.jpg