bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

625 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Been skunked last two trips.....

Hope you break that spell soon. I'm going Sunday early  and out front to try to find a dummy that doesn't like hanging underneath the pogies. Monday I'm going to hit the rocks.  Bringing the 7 wt. and a 250 to hit some schoolie holes  to try and prevent the skunk in the  between periods. Oh, the smell of Skin So Soft.........  

24 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

Hope you break that spell soon. I'm going Sunday early  and out front to try to find a dummy that doesn't like hanging underneath the pogies. Monday I'm going to hit the rocks.  Bringing the 7 wt. and a 250 to hit some schoolie holes  to try and prevent the skunk in the  between periods. Oh, the smell of Skin So Soft.........  

Green Heads are evil creatures for sure good luck.  Heading put at 2am to start the hunt.

My last two trips weren’t anything to write home about. Then went to Wisconsin for a different kind of phish last weekend. 

Taking the kayak out after work tomorrow. If nothing else I’ll get some pretty landscape pics 

Well I found bunker schools hanging around a lit marina.  I managed to access a floating dock and fly casting was hell.  Finally hooked up a 30-40lb class striper got two solid looks at it and was same size as fish I have caught on surf gear at Canal).  Had to fight it super aggressive with all the potential obstacles in water, but controlled it well so was pretty sure I was gonna win.  Right when I went to land it a final burst from fish under the floating dock and something cut the line.  Was using 40lb leader on my 12wt too.... heart breaking but at least I got a great fight out of that fish.  Was biggest I have hooked and got a solid look at on the fly in my life.  Oh well no new PB fly rod fish for me.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:48 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Well I found bunker schools hanging around a lit marina.  I managed to access a floating dock and fly casting was hell.  Finally hooked up a 30-40lb class striper got two solid looks at it and was same size as fish I have caught on surf gear at Canal).  Had to fight it super aggressive with all the potential obstacles in water, but controlled it well so was pretty sure I was gonna win.  Right when I went to land it a final burst from fish under the floating dock and something cut the line.  Was using 40lb leader on my 12wt too.... heart breaking but at least I got a great fight out of that fish.  Was biggest I have hooked and got a solid look at on the fly in my life.  Oh well no new PB fly rod fish for me.

I have done similar and lost to mooring lines or blocks.  Twice in the same mooring  in different years.  And lobster pot minefields in the boat.... Structure and pogies  , man you found the spot, and that memory will stick forever.  Strong work, guy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

I have done similar and lost to mooring lines or blocks.  Twice in the same mooring  in different years.  And lobster pot minefields in the boat.... Structure and pogies  , man you found the spot, and that memory will stick forever.  Strong work, guy.

I check that area on my way home from saw pogies around yesterday figured would go back at night.  Access is very tough on foot, but it paid off.  Fortunately the day is saved my son landed five panfish including his new personal best 8.5" sunfish.  If someone was gonna get skunked glad it was me not him.

F77E353F-4343-4149-9E55-C757FCCAEC32.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Good stuff, I'm hoping to get my daughter fishing soon. She just turned 2 yesterday and I bought her a small pan fish setup with an upgraded (sort of, kast king reel from Amazon) that should last her a while.  

20190719_202709.jpg

Floated 10 miles of the Colorado R. over the weekend for a friend's bachelor party. Water was way higher than usual, as to be expected with the snow/rain we've gotten. We caught nice browns and rainbows on Pat's Rubber Legs and streamers; I even got a hit on top of my hopper-dropper rig, lost the fish. My friend (in first pic) got a sweet brownie on a streamer, sink tip. Awesome time, things are about to get real good here I think.

5d35cbcb1d15d_AaronBrownCO.jpg.910b417f0669c06d6d82f83a80110c1b.jpg

5d35cbce91dd6_BrianBrownonCO.jpg.e0b4162e82b6dad8e06225be8b498d78.jpg

5d35cbd0d231e_CORLandscape.jpg.c6465a9713ac8469d3acdb861277a288.jpg

5d35cbccc5036_BCselfie.jpg.ca3aae986feb0571fd3ad4dbb85b8e13.jpg

Gateway drug, ive already snooped at upgrade kits.  It runs the two of them around adequately enough and the wheelbase is nice and wide, im wondering how long it actually lasts before the wheel gears get stripped out.  Two hour build, nothing too horrific.

The Mohawk has some terrific smallmouth fishing and it's beautiful country up there. I fish the area west of Canajoharie a couple of times a year.

Had one of my rare daylight fishing trips fishing with guide James Browne up in Maine.  Focus was targeting big fish and steep rocky coasts.  Lost two fish and was in right area but big bass did not come to hand.  I learned a lot today very glad I made the trip.

21 hours ago, bigredgolf said:

Floated 10 miles of the Colorado R. over the weekend for a friend's bachelor party. Water was way higher than usual, as to be expected with the snow/rain we've gotten. We caught nice browns and rainbows on Pat's Rubber Legs and streamers; I even got a hit on top of my hopper-dropper rig, lost the fish. My friend (in first pic) got a sweet brownie on a streamer, sink tip. Awesome time, things are about to get real good here I think.

5d35cbcb1d15d_AaronBrownCO.jpg.910b417f0669c06d6d82f83a80110c1b.jpg

5d35cbce91dd6_BrianBrownonCO.jpg.e0b4162e82b6dad8e06225be8b498d78.jpg

5d35cbd0d231e_CORLandscape.jpg.c6465a9713ac8469d3acdb861277a288.jpg

5d35cbccc5036_BCselfie.jpg.ca3aae986feb0571fd3ad4dbb85b8e13.jpg

Toponas to State Bridge float?