bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

446 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2019 at 1:41 AM, crowconor said:

I'm curious where you even got polar bear. I assumed that wasn't a material people were able to use. I tied up another version with some weight in it. I'll try it in the pool tomorrow to see the difference. I also think I'm getting a better hold on the correct amount of material. 

B73C73D6-5790-446C-AA23-D68C26B424CB.jpeg

little hook for that size fly,it'll plane sideways if you strip it too fast or in a current,simple physics,nice tye otherwise

First 20" smallie of the year.  A great fight and a bear to land  out in the current on a 6. Usually my stretch of the Hudson would give up at least one in May.  Latest for this size in 20+ years.  Draining  the Great Sacandaga Lake has kept the water high and higher.  I have landed a bunch between 15-18", just not made the 20" mark. It  ate a 3/0 sculpin tied with black and olive raccoon fur.   I also got a few walleyes  , one around 25".  Several other smallies  rounded out  the morning.  I fished this fly dead drift with small twitches after it came straight down in the current. The area I fished gets pounded by spin fishermen throwing jigs and  Rapalas.  A bass this size is an extreme rarity. Guess they don't mind a natural drift.  Shhhh.............

IMGP4888.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

A few shots from my recent week on the West Branch of the Penobscot.  Got rained on a bit ( 2.5 inches in 36 hours) but the fishing was solid.  Had leftover March Browns and Hendricksons at the beginning of the week resulting in three crazy spinner falls and caddis started in earnest on Monday.  Spent about 70 hours in waders from 6/15 afternoon to 6/22 morning.  My feet are trashed....  Used the 5 wt spey, Czech rod and 4 wt glass the whole week.  Had a rotating group of people in camp with my son joining for the last two days.  Great food, fishing and fun.  For perspective, the hoop on the net is 17" long.... 

coffee.jpg

dry fly fish.jpg

evening wb.jpg

son.jpg

Edited by titleguy

On 6/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, titleguy said:

A few shots from my recent week on the West Branch of the Penobscot.  Got rained on a bit ( 2.5 inches in 36 hours) but the fishing was solid.  Had leftover March Browns and Hendricksons at the beginning of the week resulting in three crazy spinner falls and caddis started in earnest on Monday.  Spent about 70 hours in waders from 6/15 afternoon to 6/22 morning.  My feet are trashed....  Used the 5 wt spey, Czech rod and 4 wt glass the whole week.  Had a rotating group of people in camp with my son joining for the last two days.  Great food, fishing and fun.  For perspective, the hoop on the net is 17" long.... 

Beautiful! Browns and salmon both? (dream fishery for me, I'm way out in CA)

My buddy Steve just sent me this pic... He takes great shots.  The 4 wt glass in action....  Also gives you an idea of the size of the salmon vis a vis the net....

glass.jpg

3 hours ago, titleguy said:

My buddy Steve just sent me this pic... He takes great shots.  The 4 wt glass in action....  Also gives you an idea of the size of the salmon vis a vis the net....

glass.jpg

16-18" sebago must have put a nice bend on that 4wt. I'm just about to hit the road up to NE Oregon for some of the same with an old homemade 4wt glass stick.