bonefishdick

2019 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

452 posts in this topic

Gorgeous.  Headed to Rangeley area in the morning to guide for the day for "Casting for Recovery" sponsored by Fly Fishing in Maine.  It's still winter there apparently....

I love seeing everyone’s pics. Someone mentioned earlier this thread is thriving. Keep them coming. Not just fish but anything fly...

+1.  One dinker last night...  49 degrees and blowing like stink, again....  Bounced the striper bugger off my head more than once- thank Yahweh for Filson Tin Cloth, aka the Clouser Helmet.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

+1.  One dinker last night...  49 degrees and blowing like stink, again....  Bounced the striper bugger off my head more than once- thank Yahweh for Filson Tin Cloth, aka the Clouser Helmet.

Skunked but saw the start of herring migrating out post spawn.  Things should start getting good this weekend through next week with New Moon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

{Withdrawn in favor of dedicated post}

Edited by tomkaz

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finished out the first month of big fly night trophy hunting approach.  Looked back at last years log to compare. May 2018 I used a mixture of fly sizes 3-9".  May 2019 I only used flies 10-12" long.  The results are:

May 2018 vs May 2019

104 fish         16 fish

15 trips          14 trips

4 keepers       7 keepers

0 fish 35"+     3 fish 35" +

1 skunk          6 skunks

Last thing of note in 2018 caught plenty of fish in May under 20".  In May 2019 I have not caught a fish smaller than 24".

In June 2018 I started using large flies more regularly over 10" but still did trips using standard flies. so it will be interesting to see stats compared in another month

The mental part of this focus on hunting trophy fish approach is really the hardest part.  Spent three hours last night in rain without a touch.  Many more of those nights are coming.  Tight lines to everyone over the weekend.

EAD345F1-CAF2-49CB-B27A-D159DFF97FA8.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift
typo

What is the multi section camo object - 3-4 piece rod holder ???

Thanks for yr posts - bet it is hard to hear those 5 gal bucket plops in the rain !!!

1 hour ago, frazerp said:

What is the multi section camo object - 3-4 piece rod holder ???

Thanks for yr posts - bet it is hard to hear those 5 gal bucket plops in the rain !!!

Could not hear much at all due to the rain.  Fish showed up last night I missed my two bites.  My friend went 2/3 nothing big 25-26".  Should get better all week.

That is my fishing sling.  Its a custom job from vedavoo to hold flies up to 16" long.  Right now I mainly use flies 10-12" because that is the alewife size.  If I fish the river with american shad I will throw a 16" shad imitation.

0CBB1C32-8F42-4815-AEF6-AA3A2C4E40A2.jpeg

8DD6F1C9-2BFD-4735-9D1A-0585E820DE8C.jpeg

DF58DDC5-20B3-4826-A4AE-351EC76F876E.jpeg

D0749436-E62E-48CD-9074-0FDFAAC6944E.jpeg

536771EA-ECD0-4D3A-B1E5-AFDEEDD55A78.jpeg

99E577BC-B4D7-4178-B445-77E1CE56E214.jpeg

7E3DE049-EA88-4971-9488-637DF1B781EE.jpeg

EC655DAC-3E5D-4C6C-8D3E-D5DBB7B47046.jpeg

9 hours ago, frazerp said:

Nice - does it sling over like their other bags ???

The pocket configuration is custom the sling chasis is the same as the "beast" sling.

Cool set up.

I had the privilege of guiding at Casting For Recovery this weekend in the Rangeley area.  This was my first time being involved with the event.  What a great day of good laughs, great conversation, insight and even a few fish.  Every once and awhile, we need a little perspective and this Saturday renewed mine.

6 mins ago, titleguy said:

Cool set up.

I had the privilege of guiding at Casting For Recovery this weekend in the Rangeley area.  This was my first time being involved with the event.  What a great day of good laughs, great conversation, insight and even a few fish.  Every once and awhile, we need a little perspective and this Saturday renewed mine.

Looked up Casting for Recovery.  Looks like a great program.  I have worked with project healing waters as a vet helping other vets.  I will add Casting for recovery as another organization to put on list worth contributing to if I can find the time.