z-man

How to keep mice out of boats?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone have anything that works to keep mice out of boats while stored outside with a cover for the winter?  My boat seems to be overrun with mice this year. 

Feral cats! Park your boat where there is a population of feral cats, leave a small opening in the back of your boat and the cats will find it. The cats will keep your boat rodent free. I have been doing this for 4-5 years and it has worked great.

Other than that I have not found anything else that works.

Buy a box of dryer sheets, the kind you throw in to make your clothes smell good. I scatter them all over my bass boat, leaving them inside compartments, and dashboard glove boxes and such. I even tuck them in between seat cushions. The mice hate the smell and taste. Never had any problem with them in Spring, and my boat smells great too! :)

Bird x . com makes all sorts of pest control items that work I use this item in my camp, and garage at home and had no mice in years. $38.00 at an Ace hardware store.

FT

TX-PRO-main-product-pic.jpg

Edited by Fishin Technician

Only problem with cats is if they decide your boat makes a great outhouse. But at least they wouldn't chew the wiring up (probably not anyway). I had a problem with mice getting into my Tacoma, they'd be in the air filter compartment and the cabin filter, eventually chew through it and then their acorns fall into the cabin fan. Cost between 3-400 last time to have it cleaned out. Dealer said to use peppermint oil on a cotton ball, like 30 drops, or just drop directly on the filter. Problem is you have to replenish it weekly and your car smells like you're driving an Altoid. But its worked so far.  I like the idea of drier sheets, seems to me they'd hold their scent longer than essential oil peppermint. 

I’ve used dryer sheets like most people are suggesting. I put them on and behind the seats and anywhere else you can think of. I use the whole box lot cheaper than your time having to replace a wire or wires they chewed through. Haven’t had a problem in years. Also helps if you have any kind of bait attractive that gives off a smell or anything like take it out of the boat 

7 hours ago, z-man said:

I’ll throw some dryer sheets in there and see if that helps out. 

Thanks

Try them, they work. Just be generous with them and if you can slide them in between any electrical wires or harnesses, just secure them there. It’s worked for me for years. Cheap and effective.

Mothballs didnt work for me. Mice loved my old engine, with or without mothballs. Cats do work, but I have had the displeasure of cleaning out remains of dead kittens. I even had a live one I found while out fishing. It's leg was caught in a net i had stowed. Luckily I had no rodent issues with my newest boat, but we'll see what happens this year.