Frugal Fisherman

Seals of Sandy Hook

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering about the seals that have been known to congregate on the sandbars on the backside of Sandy Hook....are the seals back, yet, this winter?  I'm thinking of taking a drive to see them this season; any advice/info would be appreciated

7 mins ago, Sheisty said:

All the seals and whales you could of wanted to see oct/nov. Haven't been up there in a bit to see.

I would describe today like this as well. Couldn't believe the amount of life out there. Whales in every direction. Looked like mostly if not all humpbacks. One in along the beach breaching, slapping it's pectoral fins and tail, and just putting on a show. Heavy bait readings that turned out to be adult bunker when I dropped a jig down and snagged one. Seals from 4 miles out in the ocean all the way up river of highlands bridge. Plenty in the usual area at the hook. Just bobbing around. A few on this rock pile that we spooked when we got up close. But the youngest climbed back up and posed for pictures.

IMG_3636.PNG

On 12/30/2018 at 8:51 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I'm just wondering about the seals that have been known to congregate on the sandbars on the backside of Sandy Hook....are the seals back, yet, this winter?  I'm thinking of taking a drive to see them this season; any advice/info would be appreciated

They are there year round. Seen em swimming between highlands and hook this past fall. During summer seen a few swimming along beach. If you want big numbers check out the park website for seal tours. When they start having them there usually many seals around check rock pile on sand bar in bay across from lot d or by ferry dock

On 1/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, richie c said:

No they aren't. I've never heard of a good recipe .

;) thats hysterical

Try a light cream sauce like they do everything in French restaurants.... then report back, if u live thru it.

Stomach pumping doesn't count.