bushshark

Winter Dry Fly Fishing Success

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I fished tailwaters in Colorado the past two days.  The first day the low/high temp was -4/18 and the next day -8/12.  Talk about layering up.  I used steelheader methods and had warmers in my gloves and on my feet + a back pain warming pad against my thermals.  I was warm but should have brought at least 3 pairs of gloves.  Started the first day nymphing zebra midges super deep and was picking up fish, but noticed rises in slow water downstream. Moved and fish were rising consistently including big splashes.  Shifted gears and threw griffiths, other midge patterns, etc, but only picked up one fish with the dries.  Frustrated, I rerigged for the next day with a bunny dun and an rs2 trailer fished as an emerger.  That combo landed me over a dozen before the action shut down.  Fish up to 20 inches.  I am still smiling.  My best winter dry fly day ever and probably the coldest day I've ever fished.  Also did not see another fisherman either day. A few pics:

IMG_20181229_160539.jpg

IMG_20181229_130305.jpg

IMG_20181229_130300.jpg

You are tougher than I am!  That is some seriously cold weather for fishing.  I don't fish any more in temps below freezing; just get too frustrated with the line freezing in the guides.

Well done on your willingness to fish in the cold weather and skills that got you those fish!  Where were you fishing, Deckers?

Ted

Nice fish...I've always wanted to fish out there.  One of my best friends growing up lives in Steamboat, been out there 4 times to snowboard but still haven't fished there.  The issue is that I don't really have room for any fishing gear after bringing everything else, but I think next time I'll see if I can borrow some gear while I'm out there. 

19 hours ago, bushshark said:

Thanks Ted - I was fishing the Yampa.  Also, I should have clarified my 3 gloves comment.  Not to wear all at once, but to have dry pairs to switch to.  

Nice job.  I grew up in Steamboat when that tailwater did not exist.

Fished below a dam in Central Maine yesterday with a high temp of 21 degrees.  I missed one fish and my buddy landed a 15" salmon.  Warm day tomorrow, so I will be out chasing salters.

Just came back from steelheading. Did not have the temps you had but still all frozen guides.

I have the latest greatest from Glacier Glove. it has a thin fleece interior. I also put hand warmers inside.  When I need to warm up finger tips, I pull them inside glove and wrap around warmer. I can clumsily tie on a big steelhead fly, but have to take them off when tying on something small. AND when I need to put hands in water to land a fish, the gloves act like a dry suit and stay nice and warm inside.

Sadly did not have to put hands in water on this trip.

John

4 hours ago, flyphoto said:

Just came back from steelheading. Did not have the temps you had but still all frozen guides.

I have the latest greatest from Glacier Glove. it has a thin fleece interior. I also put hand warmers inside.  When I need to warm up finger tips, I pull them inside glove and wrap around warmer. I can clumsily tie on a big steelhead fly, but have to take them off when tying on something small. AND when I need to put hands in water to land a fish, the gloves act like a dry suit and stay nice and warm inside.

Sadly did not have to put hands in water on this trip.

John

John do you recall what model glove they are?

I've tried several of the other versions found through fishing outlets but the best has been this pair I found through Gemplers, an outdoor work supplier.

They are the Bristol Bay Neoprene Glove by Glacier Glove.  They have a gray seem on the knuckles. Best yet and only 24 clams.

John