kyleeng

plugging rod recommendation and questions

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Kinda new to surf fishing. I'm sure you get these threads all the time, and I searched the forums a bit but didn't find exactly what I wanted. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what I want, so I was hoping you guys could educate me.

I'll most likely be fishing monmouth county from the surf and bay. I currently have some cheap Daiwa combo, but have found that a little uncomfortable to constantly throw artificials out, so I'll most likely just use that rod to throw out some bait while I plug with another rod. I do want a rod that is comfortable to throw artificials out, but I'm a little confused on what I've been reading.

From what I understand, you typically want a shorter lighter rod, something with a medium action ish. But from my experience this fall (my first time getting into surf fishing), I've realized the fish really arent that close, at least not in jersey... so wouldn't I need a longer rod?... but isn't a longer rod no so conducive to constantly throwing, jigging, retrieving?

I brought a Penn slammer 3 4500, and ideally looking for a rod to pair up with this reel

Could someone answer these questions and possibly educate me on what is typically used for plugging, but may be different for jersey? Does this vary for what kind of lures are used and what species you fish for? I can't see myself throwing out stuff thats more than 3oz all that often.

My budget is flexible. I'm a pretty frugal person, but I rather spend on a quality rod that will last me a long time than buying something I will grow out of fast. Let's say budget can go as high as $150  (is this reasonable? I'm not sure how much decent rods actually go for), but really, I'd like to stay under $100 unless it's a really solid rod.

Edited by kyleeng

I can’t speak to the specifics of Jersey fishing, but perhaps take a look at Tsunami Airwave Elite TSAWESS-1062MH.

Take your 4500 to a local B&T and try it on various rods to see what feels comfortable to you. 

5 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

I can’t speak to the specifics of Jersey fishing, but perhaps take a look at Tsunami Airwave Elite TSAWESS-1062MH.

Take your 4500 to a local B&T and try it on various rods to see what feels comfortable to you. 

why do you like this rod?

It’s very light but strong, and the lure rating is within your range. Your slammer should work on it. 

They are good for the price. 

(I don’t personally own one)

is a 10.5' rod typical for plugging? I was confused on this because I would feel I want a 10' rod in the surf, but a shorter rod in the bay. I'd like a happy medium.

Edited by kyleeng

I use all 10'  and 11' rods for bass and blues

They are so light and strong now that the added length is no longer an issue and it's always better to be able to get that extra distance on a cast when you need it

Last time out I was fishing next to a guy with a 9' rod. A school of our typical fall fish came by on the second bar, he couldn't reach the fish, I hooked up every cast while they were there.

The negative is that with the 1 to 5 Daiwa ballistic I was using I could almost skip em in across the surface

40 mins ago, kyleeng said:

is a 10.5' rod typical for plugging? I was confused on this because I would feel I want a 10' rod in the surf, but a shorter rod in the bay. I'd like a happy medium.

Very common. I alternate between a 10’6 TFO and 11’ ODM from the beach. 

I fish Ocean County with a 10' rod for plugging. Sometimes a lighter weight 9' if I do not feel like carrying the extra weight. It is good to get some distance, but you do not always need to cast a mile to reach the fish. The vast majority of my bites occur pretty close to shore.

For me, the 10' is a comfortable size, and covers most of the bases. As others have said, it would be a good idea to go try your reel on rods in the shop and see how it feels. One of the benefits of shopping at small tackle shops is that you can do this until you find the right fit. I think the Airwave Elites are probably your best bet in your budget range, but you may come across something you like more.

I have a 10' st Croix and Penn reel. It's common to have rods from 7' to 11' for surf fishing lures. You can get away with 7' for fluke or bump it up to 8' and also use it as a calm water rod for stripers/blues/albies

7 hours ago, FishnDucks said:

10'6" ODM Frontier for me Bob Hryszko custom build. Sweet sweet rod!

Do you have a link? I searched odm frontier rod and i see something for $465. but budget is ~$150.

Also regarding the power and action of rods. If I'm throwing artificials out there, am I looking for more of a fast action to set the hook right away, or do I want a medium action to really wait and make sure the fish is hooked? Does that depend on what I'm throwing out there? Also, when people describe the rod as medium or medium heavy... are they describing the power or action..? I was under the impression it was power, but isn't the action of a rod a really important factor?

What about power? I'm not even sure what to consider here... the size of the fish? Being so new, I don't even know what's out there on the surf. I'm imagine mainly medium size fish are what we can reach, but idk anything...

Are there any other major factors I should be considering?

I've also heard some decent value rods are TICA, st croix, and okuma. Some people mentioned tsunami airwaves so I'm heaving considering that. Can anyone weigh in?

Edited by kyleeng

I typically use 10' and 10'6" rods for plugging. Been loving my blackhole Suzuki 10' for lighter plugging in the back, and my tfo gis 1065-2 has become my go to rod for out front. Those rods are both a bit out of your price range, the bh being 215 and the tfo 260 msrp. But, they can be found on the bst here from time to time for a good bit cheaper. I actually picked up both of mine here for a great price. If you'd like to check those rods out shoot me a pm when you get enough posts (15 I think). I'm in Middletown.

22 mins ago, kyleeng said:

Do you have a link? I searched odm frontier rod and i see something for $465. but budget is ~$150.

Also regarding the power and action of rods. If I'm throwing artificials out there, am I looking for more of a fast action to set the hook right away, or do I want a medium action to really wait and make sure the fish is hooked? Does that depend on what I'm throwing out there? Also, when people describe the rod as medium or medium heavy... are they describing the power or action..? I was under the impression it was power, but isn't the action of a rod a really important factor?

What about power? I'm not even sure what to consider here... the size of the fish? Being so new, I don't even know what's out there on the surf. I'm imagine mainly medium size fish are what we can reach, but idk anything...

Are there any other major factors I should be considering?

I've also heard some decent value rods are TICA, st croix, and okuma. Some people mentioned tsunami airwaves so I'm heaving considering that. Can anyone weigh in?

If your budget is $150, I’d reiterate the Tsunami Airwave Elite. 

In the $150-$200 range, you don't have a lot of choices.

I have the Tsunami Airwave Elite, 10'6".   Like others have mentioned, it's a good rod for the price.

You can also look at Star Stella Lite and the Daiwa Coastal series.

There is not one length that will cover both bay and surf. 10' is a good length for the Jersey surf.  I fish 8' and 9' rods in the bay.  As far as action and power goes, it all depends on the lure weights you want to throw.  Something in the 3/4 to 4 range normally covers things pretty well.

Your other option is to look at used rods. There are some good deals out there if you look.