JohnP

Most Influential Fly Fishing Titles

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Roderick L. Haig-Brown - anything.

Russell Chatham - The Angler's Coast and Dark Waters.

T.J. Brayshaw - anything, but particularly on techniques for Atlantic Salmon in Indiana.

Posted (edited) · Report post

These two books did more for my fly fishing than all other books combined, until Google Earth ruined everything

61F3MT6DVDL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

cf-lg.jpg

Edited by Jason B

In the world of trout, ground breaking works by Vince Marinaro, Swisher and Richards, LaFontaine, Schwiebert,  Caucci and Nastasi, the people who introduced close observation of the trout’s world as the key to successful fishing.

JC

Back in the day, Classic Rods and Rodmakers by Marty Keane sent me down a bamboo rabbit hole that almost fanancially killed me. The River Why really got me to enjoy it more, as did any of the Gierach’s 

Edited by Jason B

I have to agree with all that was said here ... I've read most every book mentioned, which really change the way I view fishing / presenting lures / analyzing the water etc. From a purely creative standpoint ... I absolutely love / in awe of, the PopFleyes approach to tying. The Surf Candy is king for me.... and employed using every trick practiced from Lefty Kreh, & Bob Clouser to Abrames, Tabory, Bondarew, Gartside, Murphy & Mitchell,etc. 

For me it was Lefty's Fly Fishing in Salt Water. I'd spent years struggling for info (pre-internet) when this book came out and I devoured it. I especially liked the section on tarpon, although I knew I would never see one. Several years later I did, and they were in a daisy chain. I remembered exactly where he said to put the fly and cast number 1 was tarpon number 1. Didn't get a shot at tarpon number 2 for a couple more decades, but that's how good that book was - still is! Like Silver Stoat I'm a huge Russ Chatham fan as well...

I concur , that is a great book , I failed to mention it in my previous post. A friend gave me his well worn copy when I began fly fishing . I return to it often , always extracting a bit info each time . Bill J 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:37 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Great Lakes

John Nagi - Steelhead Guide

Matt Supinski - Steelhead Dreams

Striped Bass

Rich Murphy - Fly Fishing for Striped Bass

Alan Caolo - Sight Fishing for Striped Bass

Ed Mitchell - Fly Rodding the Coast

Freshwater

LLBean Fly-Fishing Handbook by Dave Whitlock 1996

Nymphing by Gary A Borger 1979

BOB Clouser’s “Flyfishing For Smallmouth Bass in Rivers & Streams”. 2007

Saltwater

Rich Murphy - Flyfishing for Stripers  2007

Ed Mitchell - Fly Rodding Estuaries  Salt Ponds, Coastal Rivers, Tidal Creeks & Backwaters   2003

Sight Fishing for Striped Bass by Alan Carlo 2001 “Outstanding Tutorial”

A Perfect Fish by Ken Abrams  Illusions in Fly Fishing 1999 This book is Priceless!  Striper Moon Ken Abrams 1994

The drawing by Ken Abrams of fish, crabs and other sea creatures are awesome His Drawings of 90 RLS Flies are unbelievable! 

“the Blitz Flyfishing the Atlantic Migration” by Pete Mc Donald, Photo EditorTosh Brown.  2011 The trip begins in Maine  & Ends at Harker’s Island, NC

All of Bob Popovic’s how to tie, design & create flies that work well books!

All of Lefty Krehs, Tutorials  and Jack Gartside’s Gurgler.

Edited by RJ

It seems to be that we all read the same titles according to our age bracket. Back before the internet 100 years ago we would read and visualize what we read into our own persona's, we became what we envisioned from print. McClain's encyclopedia sent me to places way back when.

I am unloading many of the classic titles that were mentioned here. If anyone is looking for a fair priced old fashioned book, send me a PM and title request of what you are seeking. I have 100+ titles ready to be passed on to other sources.

I will always keep the ones that mean something to me.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

Just a quick note of thanks to all who have recognized my work in this topic . .  . Very much appreciated and it means a lot to me. A little late on my post here, but things have been hectic this winter. Best of luck to everyone for the upcoming spring run . . . : )

I have to admit, I think there were only two books earl on that I read, they were written by Joe Brooks and Vince Marinara that impacted me. In full disclosure I am not a reader, most of what I read now is what I see online. The rest of what I know I learned from my dad or is self taught over the years.

It is very obvious to me when I read the posts on this forum there is a lot to learn, and in many cases there is a lot said that I already know but at the same time I can see what is being said can be a wealth of knowledge to the new people who come along and want to learn about salt water fly fishing.

Books are great but a forum like this is personal, in many cases because people will often get one on one information, it doesn’t get much better than that.

I challenge anyone to read 'Bonefishing' by Randall Kaufmann not  obsess about going bonefishing afterwards. 

Edited by JRT

For trout I would agree that Hatches was great. I also really liked Active Nymphing by Rich Osthoff.

I am in love with smallmouth and the new-ish book from Tim Landwher titled, Smallmouth has some really great new ideas in it. I have ready every book I can on them, and this one is special.

For salt and general fishing, I still reference Presenting the Fly by Lefty Kreh several times a year.

On 11/03/2019 at 0:21 AM, a caolo said:

Just a quick note of thanks to all who have recognized my work in this topic . .  . Very much appreciated and it means a lot to me. A little late on my post here, but things have been hectic this winter. Best of luck to everyone for the upcoming spring run . . . : )

It's mandatory reading for anyone visiting the cape Alan. Great work and thank you. 

Edited by JRT