JohnP

Most Influential Fly Fishing Titles

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2018 at 11:05 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

Stripers and Streamers by Ray Bondorew. Successful flies, techniques and other insights

Simply the best baseline book you can read on fly fishing for stripers. Covers all.

A must for anyone's library. Fishermen read it year after year and find new secrets and discover new ways.

All the fat, poetry, and flowery Zen philosophy  is omitted. Nothing but pure fact. No sensationalism.

Ray has proven himself time and time on the water since the beginning of saltwater fly fishing in New England.

Never heard of it will check it out.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK.....Influential I am assuming would mean the first print on the subject that attracted you to were you are today in the realm of fly fishing.

Every book that I read on the subject was influential in one way or another to were I am as an angler.

I have been liquidating my "how to books" , but there is always a few that will remain keepers. Lefties, Tabory, Bates and many others. At on time my library consisted of almost 200 titles. I am working on a number of 20 / 25 knowledge keepers and 50 or so fireplace fly fishing reading material.

Factual fiction and prose are the titles that I will never part with. You can always reread these works at different times and  gather new insight each time.

Some are still quite enjoyable today as they were years ago, before Gierach.

A few titles that could pass winter easier.

Fly fishing through the mid life crisis by Howell Raines, Fly fisherman's odyssey, by Robert Mengel, Upland Stream by W.D. Wetherell, Feather in the breeze, by Leonard, the river as a looking glass by Craig Woods, Fly fishing with MacQuarrie a book of compiled stories, The field and Stream compiled treasury and the Sports Afield compiled treasury and finally The fly-fishingest gentlemen by Russell .

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

good thread idea.

abrames, bonderew and tabory are incredible. looking to pick up a few more recommendations from here like gartside and some of the other trout stuff mentioned. :th: 

I enjoy them all , however “Flyrodding Estuaries “Ed Mitchell , seems like it was written for me. My signed copy of Rich Murphy’s “Big” book is special also . Bill J 

Hi all

Started off in freshwater , saltwater didnt come till much later .I had John Veniards fly tying guide  as a young tyer which hinted at sea water flies . I discussed this with my old uncle and fishing mentor who had fished in the sea with the fly for the usual summer species here in the UK. Never gave it a try until the late  1990s , then I was hooked. My go to books ,still to this day are

Inshore Fly Fishing Lou tabory

Fly rodding the coast Ed Mitchell

Saltwater flyfishing in Britain and Northern Europe Ed Paul Morgan

Pop Fleyes Bob Popovics

Jim

Thanks to all in this thread...im getting back to fly fishing after many years only surfcasting.  I'm basically starting from scratch all over again.  Always surf fished and got into fly fishing many years ago...then got away from it.  

After you’ve read Tabory, Daignault, Abrames, Bondorew and Caolo, try “Greased Line Fishing for Salmon [and Steelhead]” by Jock Scott. (Greased line = floating line.) It will change the way you think about retrieving the fly. Both Abrames and Bondorew incorporate some of Scott’s Greased Line Fishing techniques in their books.

Edited by RH37
Correct typo

1 min ago, RH37 said:

After you’ve read Tabory, Daignault, Abrames, Bondorew and Caolo, try “Grease Line Fishing for Salmon [and Steelhead]” by Jock Scott. (Greased line = floating line.) It will change the way you think about retrieving the fly. Both Abrames and Bondorew incorporate some of Scott’s Greased Line Fishing techniques in their books.

:read:

i need to read murphy's book too. i think i read the acknowledgements one winter in bed, fell asleep and never picked it up again. mitchell's great and in the same circle for me. haven't read caolo yet, but i've seen him in a seminar, and it was great :th: 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:35 AM, bonefishdick said:

For me it was “the complete book of fly fishing” by Joe Brooks.

There's a line in that book where Joe says it takes him 20 minutes to tie on a new fly or tippet.  Back in the 60's when I first read that book I didn't get it.  I do now.

Abrames' books transformed the way I approached striper fishing in general.  Not just with the fly, but with other methods as well.  They flat out made me a better bass fisherman.  Ray Bondorew's book was the first one I bought when I got into fly fishing for stripers many moons ago. A great book that made success very attainable for the beginner with its simple, but extremely effective, patterns & techniques. I remember contacting Ray at that time as I had some questions regarding tying his patterns. He was kind enough to send me a few of his flies so I could see first hand how they should be tied.  I still have those flies to this day - great guy!

Edited by vinnyb

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, bonefishdick said:

For me it was “the complete book of fly fishing” by Joe Brooks

The book was written so well that everyone could read this and learn and then come out a better fly fisherman. My favorite also, my copy is well taped together.

FT