JohnP

Most Influential Fly Fishing Titles

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Per request in another thread.

what were yours?

These were the books I came back to over and over. I didn’t really have an author motivate me to fish like Daignault.  The others were inavaluabke reference books.

Hatches. Caucci Nastasi

Striper Surf, Daignault 

inshore FlyFishing Tabory

Another vote for 'Inshore FlyFishing' by Tabory.

But the book I reread every year before my annual cape trip is Alan Caolo's 'Sight-Fishing for Striped Bass'. 

Ray Bergman...Fresh water bass, Just Fishing, Trout

Joe Brooks ..Trout Fishing

Ray Ovington...Tactics on Trout

Harold Blaisdell...Trout fishing in New England, Tricks that take fish

A.J. McClane regarding ultra light spinning and of course the encyclopedia.

And the list goes on.

FT

Great Lakes

John Nagi - Steelhead Guide

Matt Supinski - Steelhead Dreams

Striped Bass

Rich Murphy - Fly Fishing for Striped Bass

Alan Caolo - Sight Fishing for Striped Bass

Ed Mitchell - Fly Rodding the Coast

Trout by Ray Bergman

Fly Fishing by Tom McNally

Inshore Fly Fishing by Lou Tabory

Fly Fishing for Trout by Dick Talleur

Let’s Fish by Harry Zarchy

1 hour ago, tk118 said:

Striper Moon by Kenny Abrames is still one of the best books on fishing for stripers in my opinion 

I agree. When I was deep into fly fishing for stripers I enjoyed this book as well as Ken’s second book ( can’t recall title?). I did much better after reading both. I still look st them from time to time. 

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I enjoyed this book as well as Ken’s second book ( can’t recall title?). I did much better after reading both

"A Perfect Fish"

Stripers and Streamers by Ray Bondorew. Successful flies, techniques and other insights

Simply the best baseline book you can read on fly fishing for stripers. Covers all.

A must for anyone's library. Fishermen read it year after year and find new secrets and discover new ways.

All the fat, poetry, and flowery Zen philosophy  is omitted. Nothing but pure fact. No sensationalism.

Ray has proven himself time and time on the water since the beginning of saltwater fly fishing in New England.

Here's one of the best fresh water fly fishing books you've never heard of:  The Philosophical Fisherman by Harold Blaisdell.  He's was an old yankee from VT, and he wrote with the dry wit of an old yankee.  He punctures all of the mental bubbles that trout fishermen build into the sport.  He also touches on other fresh water game fish.  He doesn't linger on technique but delves into the strange world of trout fishing.

Here's an example that comes to mind.  Harold tells the story of a friend who used to hire a Northern Maine guide in the pursuit of a 5 pound brookie.  He had come close over the years but never broke the 5 pound mark.  One year he took an uncle along, who had never fished.  One day on that trip he decided to fish some rapids from shore. The guide took the uncle in a canoe and the uncle caught a 5 pound brookie.  The fisherman couldn't believe it.  While having a shore lunch, the fisheman said he was going to fish some other rapids from shore, and the guide said He'd take the uncle back to the spot where the 5 pounder was caught.  The uncle said "Why would we go back there?  I only caught one fish."   

You can still find this book used on the "river".

Popovics’s Pop Fleyes and Fleye Design...my fly box would be pitiful without them. 

As as far as trout go, anything by George Harvey and Joe Humphreys’s Trout Tactics. I thank all three of those men for these contributions.