The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

53 mins ago, jlapenta said:

Hey Riddler,

Nice catching!!!

How do you find the visibility of the SI image in day light?  I test run of mine on Round Valley on Saturday.   I had a hard time seeing the SI view.  Looks great in the garage, not so great in sunlight.   

If i may........ I raise the brightness,  yeah it eats more energy but i find i can see the screen much better...

18 mins ago, BillZ said:

If i may........ I raise the brightness,  yeah it eats more energy but i find i can see the screen much better...

lol...I was assuming his brightness was all the way up. :laugh:

Hey riddler   how's that berley pro shield working.... gotta imagine it's like night and day in the sun. 

It's a pain in the ass to put on but it works fine. It doesn't completely take away the glare at all times but it reduces it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

It's a pain in the ass to put on but it works fine. It doesn't completely take away the glare at all times but it reduces it.

Had the brightness at 10.    Was thinking about the Berley Pro, may give that at shot. 

Edited by jlapenta

10 mins ago, jlapenta said:

Had the brightness at 10.    Was thinking about the Berley Pro, may give that at shot. 

It's tricky to put on but you'll figure it out. Some colors show up better with daylight. As you can see, especially this winter, I am jigging at night.

Edited by The Riddler

Maiden voyage/shakedown cruise today.    Been pedaling a Revo since 07, and I never moved up to the high seats, so it was a little weird being up so high. Also took some time to train my legs to pedal in a circle. Not much else to say until I get some real time in. I have a positive first impression and high hopes for this little guy.  

5519983D-9F64-408C-A946-59B8211586CD.jpeg

Edited by SG1

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Nice!  I am digging the smaller rides too.  Did you get a deal?  Sounds included? 

This is a demo model that I got as a dealer ( I think I mentioned that I have a yak rental biz.) I get a few calls for pedal rentals(non-fishing) so I decided to add a few Topwaters to my fleet because of size and price. Of course, the Demo has to be put through its paces, and I’ll have to be the one to do it! :)

I really like the way a 7’ rod tucks  under the seat and  lays in the channel to the side of the drive. Wish it came in brighter colors. 

Edited by SG1

The seating position is slung low. Slightly higher than the PDL in the top water. I suffer from arthritis in both knees. It's the winter time and time away from the kayak where I have to eat the Tylenol in the offseason. Virtual screen for a 40 minute 10 mile course up hill and medium.  Easily burn 400 calories in a session.

I am at the 60 hour mark now.  I have one small concern. When going in reverse it’s still slightly “Geary”.  There is no problem with the drive moving in forward but I do feel it when going backwards. I don’t feel this is a reason to send the drive back but on my other Predator PDL, I did not have it. Since this is an open and honest review I have to report the findings.   If it was a lubrication issue then I would have it going forward.  I will send a message to Old Town for the hell of it and see what they recommend. 

Another Look at Transducer. Side Imaging has no problem shooting to the left and right. 

Transducer is tucked away nicely in the Topwater tunnel style hull.

Old Town (Johnson Outdoors) is part of Humminbird.  Other brands of transducers may also work. 

7EE50425-36FD-4B0E-8FE9-ABB3DC2AB0C8.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler