The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

Stainless and aluminum definitely don’t mix. Powder coating is legendary for failures as a deep scratch can start the lifting process. T3 Anodizing while more expensive is much tougher and the parts become electrically neutral. Or so I have been told with a bunch or words I didn’t understand 

So my Top Water PDL drive has been in brackish and freshwater about 3 times and stored outside near a beach. The rust has already started. 

I have marine grade stainless 3/16” x 1/8” rivets just hanging around from a past kayak project.  Perfect match to replace the inferior steel pin Old Town gives you. A pair of knipex bolt cutters to trim and I am good to go. Some anti-rust grease and corrosion x for guns and done. 

I have been fixing pedal drive problems for a while from Hobie,Native, and now Old Town. This was the easiet and cheapest fix I have ever did. 

Be warned.  If you do not change this pin you will have problems down the road.  Even under the warranty you will still have down time and possible shipping costs out of pocket.  

Hopefully Old Town goes with a stainless pin in the future.  You can still make it sheer style just has to scribe and weaken and break upon impact. For me I am not concerned with that. 

C91A27CB-4C19-46D4-AE9A-49A9A9A69281.jpeg

14A08168-3E7F-4DE9-B31A-69E640A96EFB.jpeg

9182DF7E-EA75-41CB-822A-4EAF4995ECCF.jpeg

C5623D6B-FA70-4C61-9F49-969EA3AF9221.jpeg

BD4FA189-08F6-4818-A5FC-74A1448B1302.jpeg

4EF3015B-AFD0-4F33-9DAC-13BF7F55EF02.jpeg

6AED23BD-552D-4460-86BD-E926A622D9F1.jpeg

92C6E6DA-10BB-454F-96FF-E5678B2B33A4.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

So my Top Water PDL drive has been in brackish and freshwater about 3 times and stored outside near a beach. The rust has already started. 

I have marine grade stainless 3/16” x 1/8” rivets just hanging around from a past kayak project.  Perfect match to replace the inferior steel pin Old Town gives you. A pair of knipex bolt cutters to trim and I am good to go. Some anti-rust grease and corrosion x for guns and done. 

I have been fixing pedal drive problems for a while from Hobie,Native, and now Old Town. This was the easiet and cheapest fix I have ever did. 

Be warned.  If you do not change this pin you will have problems down the road.  Even under the warranty you will still have down time and possible shipping costs out of pocket.  

Hopefully Old Town goes with a stainless pin in the future.  You can still make it sheer style just has to scribe and weaken and break upon impact. For me I am not concerned with that. 

C91A27CB-4C19-46D4-AE9A-49A9A9A69281.jpeg

14A08168-3E7F-4DE9-B31A-69E640A96EFB.jpeg

9182DF7E-EA75-41CB-822A-4EAF4995ECCF.jpeg

C5623D6B-FA70-4C61-9F49-969EA3AF9221.jpeg

BD4FA189-08F6-4818-A5FC-74A1448B1302.jpeg

4EF3015B-AFD0-4F33-9DAC-13BF7F55EF02.jpeg

6AED23BD-552D-4460-86BD-E926A622D9F1.jpeg

92C6E6DA-10BB-454F-96FF-E5678B2B33A4.jpeg

According to Old Town the pins are stainless. Am I allowed to post their email responses back on here? Not trying to get flagged or anything.

2 hours ago, Letdatbassknock said:

According to Old Town the pins are stainless. Am I allowed to post their email responses back on here? Not trying to get flagged or anything.

Those pins are not stainless. If you can find where they say it's stainless let me know and post here so I can read up on it.

Stainless steel with a higher carbon content?  lol....I would say way too much carbon and not much chromium.

Staying with that pin in there is an absolute risk of having it corrode and seize up.

14 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Stainless steel with a higher carbon content?  lol....I would say way too much carbon and not much chromium.

Staying with that pin in there is an absolute risk of having it corrode and seize up.

I'm going to try and order the same thing you used above and make a new one, plus cut some extras.

I believe it's just an 1/8" diameter on the rivet pin. You can put anything in there just need a clean way of cutting it.

Riddler, how does the hull feel? At the drive does it feel like it flexes when standing at all? I'm probably going to pick one up this spring. Ill keep my Hobie but think with all the other brands in the market and Oldtowns decent warranty, I am leaning toward this kayak. Maybe next months saltwater expo will have the fishfinder deal like they did in September. Fingers crossed.

2 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Riddler, how does the hull feel? At the drive does it feel like it flexes when standing at all? I'm probably going to pick one up this spring. Ill keep my Hobie but think with all the other brands in the market and Oldtowns decent warranty, I am leaning toward this kayak. Maybe next months saltwater expo will have the fishfinder deal like they did in September. Fingers crossed.

as far as i have heard this spring old ton has the fishfinder deal on the predators, but not topwaters, i may be wrong though

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

No flex that I have felt. The only show special I saw is for this weekend in CT at the fishing show. FF and mounting system.

DON’T MISS OUT on the BEST DEAL of the Year  If you’re looking to get into a new fishing Yak for 2019- NOW IS THE TIME to rally on the BEST DEAL of the year. For a limited time, through February- Buy any Old Town Predator, Top Water, or Ocean Trident fishing kayak and get a FREE HUMMINBIRD GPS/Fishfinder, Yak Attack Helix Mount mighty mount, and FREE rigging- Valued at over $400.00- PLUS the BEST PRICES (too low to advertise) of the year on the entire lineup of fishing kayak models.  This offer is here and gone before you know it, and comes with over $400 in FREE ELECTRONICS, and gear, on top of the BEST PRICES of the year on all BRAND NEW 2019 models! Get a FREE Hummingbird Helix 5 GPS/Fish finder with any Old Town Predator Kayak Model, Any Ocean Trident Fishing Kayak, or the Brand New Old Town Top Water 106 PDL. This offer includes a Yak Attack Helix 5 GPS mounting arm and mighty mount rail adapter. Buy the Top Water 106 or 120 Paddle yak- get a FREE hummingbird Piranha Max4 Fish finder unit. Also- on any new kayak purchase, SAVE 15% on any Accessories to customized your new boat. This offer is for a limited time- take advantage and get yourself rigged up in your brand new yak for 2019.  We will be at the Connecticut Outdoor Expo and Sportsman’s show, Feb. 15-16 at Mohegan Sun, showcasing our fully rigged lineup of the 2019 fishing kayak models from Old Town and Ocean. Check us out, come get some expert advice and rigging tips, and take advantage of this AMAZING OFFER.

I reached out to Oldtown and waiting for the response if NJ will have this offer also. Saves me a drive but if I dont get a response by tomorrow I will be driving north. If anybody else can confirm for NJ. Much appreciated. Thanks again Riddler.