The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

5yr warranty;

I wonder  how they actually handle that,  they say "limited" & it says they back defects in matl & workmanship.

I wonder if the "limited" excludes normal wear, lack of maintenance,  etc?? 

I think most claims are from something wearing out not matl issues....

Maybe some may chime in on warranty issues and see how it works. I know Johnson Outdoors uses a local rep, at least in the Northeast. In the language dealer is mentioned for kayaks. Quite possible the drive would have to be shipped. But not sure. 

Warranty

TO WHOM DOES THIS WARRANTY APPLY?

JOHNSON OUTDOORS INC. extends the following limited warranty to the original retail consumer only (“Consumer”).

WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY COVER?

This warranty covers material defects in workmanship and materials in your new Johnson Outdoors Paddlesports products, with the exceptions stated below. Covered Paddlesports products include Ocean Kayak, Necky Kayaks, Old Town Canoes & Kayaks, and Dimension products.

HOW LONG COVERAGE LASTS.

The hull and deck of any Ocean Kayak, Necky Kayak, Old Town Canoe and Kayak and Dimension canoe and kayak products are covered the lifetime of the boat from the Consumer’s original purchase date. For blemished boats or those marked as BLEMS, the hull and deck are covered (5) five years from Consumer’s original purchase date. For standard boats used for rental, demonstration, resort or outfitter purposes the warranty is 90 days from date of delivery by the dealer to the Consumer. For boats built as special “outfitter grade” boats used for rental, demonstration, resort or outfitter purposes, the hull and deck are covered (1) one year from date of delivery. For accessories, the warranty coverage is (1) one year from Consumer’s original purchase date.

WHAT JOHNSON OUTDOORS WILL DO.

For complete warranty details, to provide notice of a warranty claim, or to request warranty service, contact Johnson Outdoors Inc. as follows: For Ocean Kayak, Necky Kayaks, Old Town Canoes & Kayaks, and Dimension products call 800-343-1555.

Alternatively, you can contact Johnson Outdoors Inc. at 125 Gilman Falls Ave. Bldg.B, Old Town, ME 04468. As the sole and exclusive obligation under this warranty of Johnson Outdoors Inc. and its affiliates (referred to in this limited warranty together as “Johnson Outdoors”), and as Consumer’s sole and exclusive remedy, upon prompt written notice from Consumer of breach of this limited warranty during the relevant warranty period, Johnson Outdoors will either, at Johnson Outdoors’ option, (a) repair (by the dealer) or replace the defective product, or (b) refund the purchase price paid by Consumer if an inspection by Johnson Outdoors discloses material defects in workmanship or material covered by this warranty.

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS.

1. Consumer must mail the completed warranty
  2. If you have a warranty claim, call our Customer Service Department at the number indicated above.
    • Be prepared to provide the following information: Proof of purchase, date and place of purchase and original purchase price.
    • Boat serial number (engraved on starboard bow and stern), model, color and hatch configuration.
    • Consumer name, address and phone number.
    • Detailed description of the problem.
  3. Johnson Outdoors strives to give warranty claims top priority to ensure timely processing and resolution. We may ask you to contact your original dealer and/or send us the defective product at our cost. If the product is to be returned to the factory, our Customer Service Department will issue a return authorization number. Please affix this number to the product along with your dealer name and contact person. Please do not return any product to the factory without a return authorization number. Return products in the original packing material or equivalent. Please include a note of explanation inside the package regarding the reason for the return, contact information and desired action.
  4. Warranty on a replacement boat is void until Johnson Outdoors receives from the dealer the serial number cut outs from the defective boat. The warranty period for a repair, and the related product, shall be only the remaining portion of the original warranty period applicable to such product.

I always wondered what “Lifetime of the product” means. Is it a “forever” warranty, which is how it sounds, a la the old L.L. Bean warranty? I imagine they are really saying normal wear and tear isn’t covered, but who is to say how long it should last then? 

I saw one of these up close at the Hartford boat show in the Black Hall Outfitters booth.  "Boat Show Special" runs through late next month, $1699 which includes a Helix 5 and mount I believe.  

I had my heart set on a predator 13 pdl going in,  but the size of the top water is so manageable. Makes sense for the fair weather saltwater/ freshwater that I see. 

That free offer for the Helix 5 by Old Town is over, unless they did one again in the last two weeks but I doubt it. I already called and played the game to try and get one but no dice from factory. They told me the deal is over...

Remember , before you make your choice, the  Predator PDL will track better than the Topwater 106. The 106 is a different platform where the square stern will grab wind. Personally if it were me I would have never designed this platform like that I would have kept the stern streamlined and low. But hey, this is not a performance ride. It's a high sided high seated kayak and the wind grabs everywhere and the chines are soft so you sail all around. If you make the chines hard than it won't turn as easy. The Topwater doesn't turn on a dime but the stock rudder is acceptable.

25 mins ago, The Riddler said:

That free offer for the Helix 5 by Old Town is over, unless they did one again in the last two weeks but I doubt it. I already called and played the game to try and get one but no dice from factory. They told me the deal is over...

Remember , before you make your choice, the  Predator PDL will track better than the Topwater 106. The 106 is a different platform where the square stern will grab wind. Personally if it were me I would have never designed this platform like that I would have kept the stern streamlined and low. But hey, this is not a performance ride. It's a high sided high seated kayak and the wind grabs everywhere and the chines are soft so you sail all around. If you make the chines hard than it won't turn as easy. The Topwater doesn't turn on a dime but the stock rudder is acceptable.

they are starting that deal back up again with the predator soon apparently, not sure what date but my local place said it will be at the RISAA show and one before it i think. how does it work when their deal for those fishfinders? is it a rebate you send in?

4 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

they are starting that deal back up again with the predator soon apparently, not sure what date but my local place said it will be at the RISAA show and one before it i think. how does it work when their deal for those fishfinders? is it a rebate you send in?

I am not the one to talk too about that. I only know what the factory told me about the Topwater.

Just now, The Riddler said:

I am not the one to talk too about that. I only know what the factory told me about the Topwater.

ahh ok, figured i would ask. reason i ask is i wonder if i can convince them to let me pay extra to get let me upgrade to the DI or SI version

On 1/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, The Riddler said:

Ideally hope you get that 25 percent off or more.  That sale is current up in Kittery Maine.  It could be region wide sale from the reps.  500 bucks off makes it even better. 

I’m technically a JO dealer. I have a very small summer kayak & SUP  rental biz in NJ.  I do not cater to the fishing crowd, but I’m going  bring a few of these into the mix because I have had some interest in pedal kayak rentals. Up until this point they’ve been too big and expensive to fit my business model. We will put these to the test this summer. 

On  the warranty end, all I can offer is my experience. Over the past 3 years as a JO dealer, I’ve purchased, rented and sold (I sell new and used at the end of the season) approx 150 JO products. Mostly OK Malibu2, Scrambler, and Frenzy. I’ve had 1 warranty issue. A slightly deformed hull that caused the yak to pull to one side.  The warranty process went smoothly and the customer was satisfied.  

I appreciate your unbiased reviews.

27 mins ago, SG1 said:

I’m technically a JO dealer. I have a very small summer kayak & SUP  rental biz in NJ.  I do not cater to the fishing crowd, but I’m going  bring a few of these into the mix because I have had some interest in pedal kayak rentals. Up until this point they’ve been too big and expensive to fit my business model. We will put these to the test this summer. 

On  the warranty end, all I can offer is my experience. Over the past 3 years as a JO dealer, I’ve purchased, rented and sold (I sell new and used at the end of the season) approx 150 JO products. Mostly OK Malibu2, Scrambler, and Frenzy. I’ve had 1 warranty issue. A slightly deformed hull that caused the yak to pull to one side.  The warranty process went smoothly and the customer was satisfied.  

I appreciate your unbiased reviews.

Thanks for that information.

Went to do a little maintenance on the PDL drive and upon removing the prop, the shear pin was rusted and the inside paint was starting to chip and corrode away. Contacted Old Town and am waiting to receive a response on the matter. I fish mainly saltwater and I spray it down after each outing.

B08BE142-A707-4682-A03A-9C1DC330DB6D.jpeg

0EECE001-5F1F-47D9-B6BF-FBCBF23A3A8F.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

The pin is minor but man I don't dig that corrosion on the housing!  Over the long term that is not good!  For me the TopWater will be a brackish and fresh platform and maybe an occasional salt water trip. I will be sure to hose down after every salty trip...oh wait....you are hosing down!  Yikes!  Thankfully there is a 5 year warranty on the drive. Hopefully corrosion failure is covered!

Edited by The Riddler

56 mins ago, The Riddler said:

The pin is minor but man I don't dig that corrosion on the housing!  Over the long term that is not good!  For me the TopWater will be a brackish and fresh platform and maybe an occasional salt water trip. I will be sure to hose down after every salty trip...oh wait....you are hosing down!  Yikes!  Thankfully there is a 5 year warranty on the drive. Hopefully corrosion failure is covered!

I hope it's covered considering they say it's fine to use in saltwater. I'll let you know what they say.

18 hours ago, Letdatbassknock said:

Went to do a little maintenance on the PDL drive and upon removing the prop, the shear pin was rusted and the inside paint was starting to chip and corrode away. Contacted Old Town and am waiting to receive a response on the matter. I fish mainly saltwater and I spray it down after each outing.

B08BE142-A707-4682-A03A-9C1DC330DB6D.jpeg

Wow! That sucks......

Curious;

Is that housing just cast aluminum with a coat of paint over it?

Looks like it's kinda peeling off & bubbling up in areas......

12 mins ago, BillZ said:

Wow! That sucks......

Curious;

Is that housing just cast aluminum with a coat of paint over it?

Looks like it's kinda peeling off & bubbling up in areas......

That appears to be exactly what it is. It's definitely bubbling up in areas and i bet if I scratched at it, it'd peel right off. It sucks that they didn't think of a better way to saltwater proof the drive.