The Riddler

Old Town Top Water 106 PDL Review

177 posts in this topic

A little handle upgrade on the rudder control. I will report back if it fits or not.  12 bucks off Amazon.

ball handle.jpg

ruddercontrol.jpeg

I like it.  Easy handle customization on the cheap!  No drilling no changes to old system. 

C7F0A4E1-B841-499E-8613-77E1F4655E6C.jpeg

B0391C57-5397-4640-9551-88CEC152483E.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

The black dial  behind it locks the steering. Primitive but it’s functional.  I don’t have a need for it yet.  A 10’ Tug boat tracks horrible as it is with wind at the stern. In fact most kayaks sold for fishing today wind cock. 

941E6882-6ACE-41ED-BE18-382FD36FDA61.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

The black dial  behind it locks the steering. Primitive but it’s functional.  I don’t have a need for it yet.  A 10’ Tug boat tracks horrible as it is with wind at the stern. In fact most kayaks sold for fishing today wind cock. 

941E6882-6ACE-41ED-BE18-382FD36FDA61.jpeg

Oh cool, reason I ask, is they recently added it to the predators stearing but hadn't actually seen one yet

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I like it.  Easy handle customization on the cheap!  No drilling no changes to old system. 

C7F0A4E1-B841-499E-8613-77E1F4655E6C.jpeg

B0391C57-5397-4640-9551-88CEC152483E.jpeg

Works great. 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, The Riddler said:
Works great. 

Bad arse rudder control Riddler. Man your really making me want this yak brother. So many ways that get my attention with this thing. May be my first bicycle style one. Thanks for the very good details and that fish finder is awesome. Now I see $$ for what it's worth. Garmin has its ways but Lowrance I believe has it beat.

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Bad arse rudder control Riddler. Man your really making me want this yak brother. So many ways that get my attention with this thing. May be my first bicycle style one. Thanks for the very good details and that fish finder is awesome. Now I see $$ for what it's worth. Garmin has its ways but Lowrance I believe has it beat.

I like the Humminbird Helix Unit SI’s. I don’t know anyone who has the Lowrance SI units. 

It may be better who knows. 

This little kayak kicks ass. The only downside is it’s a heavyweight. For staying dry and high and getting into tight places I dig it. 

I can toss it in the back of the Tacoma bed with tailgate down and not have to add a bed extender. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

This little kayak kicks ass. 

^^ This is encouraging.... 

I’ll have mine by late March. 

Edited by SG1

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I can toss it in the back of the Tacoma bed with tailgate down and not have to add a bed extender. 

That is what I like,a bit leary of the high seat position.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, The Riddler said:

A little handle upgrade on the rudder control. I will report back if it fits or not.  12 bucks off Amazon.

ball handle.jpg

ruddercontrol.jpeg

Sick mod. How'd the process go for retro fitting the power knob? 

It’s easy and anyone can do it.   No drilling.  All I needed to add was a wider washer as seen in the photo below. 

0D1C89F7-8B5B-4D53-B7B3-590DE77A169E.jpeg

78B57399-50AC-495B-9735-8A6A82157FDC.jpeg

3 hours ago, SG1 said:

^^ This is encouraging.... 

I’ll have mine by late March. 

Ideally hope you get that 25 percent off or more.  That sale is current up in Kittery Maine.  It could be region wide sale from the reps.  500 bucks off makes it even better. 

You can’t go wrong with lifetime Hull and 5 year warranty on the drive.  It’s one of the best if not the best warranties out there for a pedal kayak. 

7310D864-D2D2-466C-9680-ADE551063BC4.png

11 hours ago, The Riddler said:

You can’t go wrong with lifetime Hull and 5 year warranty on the drive.  It’s one of the best if not the best warranties out there for a pedal kayak. 

7310D864-D2D2-466C-9680-ADE551063BC4.png

That definitly is a big plus, i wonder if after the 5 years you have an issue how much it is to have them fix it or service it. I asked a rep at a demo day and he just kind of said they would take care of it, no idea what that really means but 5 solid years of coverage is definitely  nice